Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
no, you are misunderstanding. you don't need to dominate others that aren't dominating you. what excuse does a man have for raping a child? that he's dominated by the child? pfft.

futhermore, there is simply a lack of sanity in your statement. there is no good reason for a child to be bullied by someone when they are at school to learn and minding their own business. it not only disrupts learning and the school environment and degrades it.

it's hard to take people like you seriously when if something happened to you, you would probably go run and cry to the police like everyone else while spouting this hypocritical farce.
Take my statement with a grain of salt. There really is no need to get into an emotional huff about it. When you think about it from a bigger perspective, there is always someone better than you. More often than not, you work under someone. The government run our lives. Dominance may be subtle, but it's there. Plus when does bullying = raping?

And again, we are not talking about whether bullying is right or wrong in this thread. What the OP wants is whether or not bullying occurs naturally in species or not. If you want to discuss right or wrong, this thread really is not for you. OP's own post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Please don't misunderstand my question - I am not debating the wrongness or rightness of bullying, or ignoring its immense emotional and societal impact. I'm simply wanting to hear some intellectual/philosophical (hopefully friendly/polite) debate about whether or not this particular behavior is programmed into our DNA.
But for the record and veering off topic, I agree that there is no good reason that anyone should be bullied, child or adult. And that there should be consequences to that as such.

Finally, I am an online stranger to you. What do you know about me and my life? Did you know I was bullied for 3 years straight when I was a child? Did you know that I suffered emotionally in silence? Did you know that I spent the last decade rebuilding myself as a functional human being? Hypocritical farce? Far from it. I am more emotionally intuned with this subject than you are because I was subjected to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Take my statement with a grain of salt. There really is no need to get into an emotional huff about it. When you think about it from a bigger perspective, there is always someone better than you. More often than not, you work under someone. The government run our lives. Dominance may be subtle, but it's there. Plus when does bullying = raping?

And again, we are not talking about whether bullying is right or wrong in this thread. What the OP wants is whether or not bullying occurs naturally in species or not. If you want to discuss right or wrong, this thread really is not for you. OP's own post:

But for the record and veering off topic, I agree that there is no good reason that anyone should be bullied, child or adult. And that there should be consequences to that as such.

Finally, I am an online stranger to you. What do you know about me and my life? Did you know I was bullied for 3 years straight when I was a child? Did you know that I suffered emotionally in silence? Did you know that I spent the last decade rebuilding myself as a functional human being? Hypocritical farce? Far from it. I am more emotionally intuned with this subject than you are because I was subjected to it
for someone who was subject to bullying, you peculiarly don't have a clue as to what bullying means. also, working for someone or the government is not the same as violating others. there needs to be rules and some guidelines to protect ourselves as well as for YOU! there is an actual legitimate reason for it. that is very different than someone violating you for personal amusement or just because they have no respect for the rights of others. that's why there are laws (by the government which you broadbrushly equate to a bully) to protect you from crime etc as well. the government isn't perfect and neither are laws but they are there to protect you and do in myriad ways by health regulations as well as many government agencies from which you currently enjoy or benefit from without realizing it, evidently. however, a "bully" in school is actually disrupting order and causing mayhem and violating others. working under someone or someone being better than you, still has nothing to do with the type of bullying we are discussing. you can't bully in some situations or in all cases to cheat your way by destroying or oppressing others which is good. for instance, if someone wants to become a doctor they still won't become one just by hurting other doctors or killing them. they still have to earn it if they have the ability. competition is not bullying and competition just keeps the standards high but bullying is deviant from that. people who are strong or of integrity don't really need to bully because bullies are cheaters by trying to hurt or sabotage the competition or take their own frustrations and angst out on others (if they can get away with it)instead of dealing with their own shortcomings or overcoming them with personal integrity. it's like someone who loses a game so they turn around and attack the person because they won't improve themselves or want things easier. bullies have a sense of entitlement and are actually the weakest link because of it. i have never witnessed bullying or met any bully that was good or had a legitimate reason or anything positive or constructive about bullies/bullying. it was all from degenerate motivations from usually hidden jealousy, inadequacy, and personal weakness masked by bringing others down to their level or taking their frustrations out on others. there was no raising up of standards, so that is why i know that bullying just serves no positive purpose except to remind that there are those who will sink that low. however, your assessment is peculiarly out of context and really doesn't make much sense.

furthermore, any form of aggression or violation toward another is a form of bullying if not for self-defense. yes, rape is an extreme form of aggression and violation which would be an extreme case of "bullying" but we don't use such a label in that case but get more specific with certain actions or crimes.

as for whether bullying occurs naturally in nature, that is so obvious that it questions the op's intelligence. disease, pain, suffering, death etc also are naturally occurring but that does not mean we just lie down and take it. sociopaths and psycopathic behavior are naturally occuring and can be seen in both animals and people but just insinuating that it's 'natural' tends to excuse it which i find the op is a bit deceptive.

also, you are NOT the only one who has been bullied as your silly statement insinuates as if your case is special. it's obvious you have a strange idea of what is rules/guidelines for the protection of all which is different than personal aggression and sociopathic behavior which would be 'crime'.

don't forget that those same actions that children are allowed to do would label them as "criminals" when they get older.

still, juveniles are being charged as adults in some cases for serious crimes as murder and even for lesser assault.

Last edited by rory00; 10-22-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
futhermore, there is simply a lack of sanity in your statement. there is no good reason for a child to be bullied by someone when they are at school to learn and minding their own business. it not only disrupts learning and the school environment and degrades it.
Also water is wet and the sky is blue. ie no one is disputing such obvious truths.

Quote:
it's hard to take people like you seriously when if something happened to you, you would probably go run and cry to the police like everyone else while spouting this hypocritical farce.
How ironic; you rant and rave about bullying...then proceed to verbally attack someone who did no such thing to you.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Also water is wet and the sky is blue. ie no one is disputing such obvious truths.

How ironic; you rant and rave about bullying...then proceed to verbally attack someone who did no such thing to you.
omg, this is the kind of stuff that is wrong with society. evidently they were disputing it, yet you didn't get that.

the person stated something so heinous and inhumane and what i said back was not an attack and not nearly as damaging.

they stated that one has to dominate others in order to survive and flippantly/shallowly i might add, which essentially and blatantly is condoning it. then turns around and states they aren't condoning it which makes no sense at all.

there is no reason to dominate or bully another when they are not a threat to you which i pointed out and the example of the police when and if they are in threat to illustrate the selfishness and hypocrisy of their statement.

you are exaggerating when i was making a point, that my making an example was bullying.

i see the best thing to do is just let the truly inhumane as well dangerous beliefs and rationalizations and not pointing anything out is the best course of action. no matter what, you can't enlighten a majority until they reach that point themselves. also, there is a difference between some sarcasm used to make a point and bullying. but any criticism will be seen as bullying because secretly people don't want that change. they want to keep the domination so any criticism of that is construed as an attack. very good ploy for the ignorant but not on me as i can see it for what it is.

we'll see how good it will end up as the school system is a sure testament like a prison yard/nightclub/hangout and the state of america is a sure testament now how good these beliefs and rationalizations are. it is just the way nature is. lol

what people seem to forget is this is not hurting anyone but yourselves and your children and your country most, even the bullies because instead of bettering themselves they are taking the easiest route of hurting or bringing down another which brings everyone down to a lower denominator eventually instead of raising it. let me explain: when bullying is considered okay, it is only a short-term advantage because bullying at root is not about right or wrong or correcting mistakes or betterment. it is about power for it's own sake by oppression or any means. this creates a society that places truth and education secondary to displays of power. this is why you have a society where gangbangers are considered cool, nerds are reviled and made fun of, and aggression, superficiality, vanity and overt sexuality as well as arrogance and entitlement is celebrated and admired more than scientists, teachers, researchers etc and people who make a real difference positively.

if i was wanting to see a society fail, i would condone it myself but i'm not. but if this is the kind of society that most want, so be it.

Last edited by rory00; 10-22-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I know!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
So some kid gets bullied. Who cares, life is tough. The world also is a cruel place.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,732 times
Quote:
the person stated something so heinous and inhumane and what i said back was not an attack and not nearly as damaging.

they stated that one has to dominate others in order to survive and flippantly/shallowly i might add, which essentially and blatantly is condoning it. then turns around and states they aren't condoning it which makes no sense at all.
What, did you miss your morning coffee or something? Is that the reason why you are so cranky?

I'm not even going to bother answering that huge rant of yours because it hurts my eyes just reading slammed keyboard gibberish. If you want someone to take you seriously, make sure it's readable. There is no reason to get emotional about it either.

We get it, you have strong feelings against bullying. So do I. But what does it have to do with the topic at hand? Veering off topic and putting words into my mouth is pretty much all you're doing

Sweetheart, if my post doesn't make sense to you, I strongly suggest that you read the statements for its face value rather than try to read into the "implications" that you perceive to be real.

All you are doing is arguing about something that everyone agrees with and avoiding the actual topic.

Do YOU think bullying is natural for us in humans? Give reasons why. Keyword is natural.

I expect a more intelligable response this time rather than another emotional rant, which is an indication that you yourself might have been bullied at one point and still touchy about it.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Bullying - is it just a fact of life?

Samuel Colt was only 5'2" tall, or so I have heard more than once. I suspect he put an end to some degree of bullying. A friend of mine, now dead, unfortunately, in an issue not related to this thread, was 5'4" tall and weighed in at 112 lbs, he was a notoriously good shot with this ruger 357mag he always carried. He always claimed to have the "cure" for bullyism.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
What, did you miss your morning coffee or something? Is that the reason why you are so cranky?

I'm not even going to bother answering that huge rant of yours because it hurts my eyes just reading slammed keyboard gibberish. If you want someone to take you seriously, make sure it's readable. There is no reason to get emotional about it either.

We get it, you have strong feelings against bullying. So do I. But what does it have to do with the topic at hand? Veering off topic and putting words into my mouth is pretty much all you're doing

Sweetheart, if my post doesn't make sense to you, I strongly suggest that you read the statements for its face value rather than try to read into the "implications" that you perceive to be real.

All you are doing is arguing about something that everyone agrees with and avoiding the actual topic.

Do YOU think bullying is natural for us in humans? Give reasons why. Keyword is natural.

I expect a more intelligable response this time rather than another emotional rant, which is an indication that you yourself might have been bullied at one point and still touchy about it.
I would state that humans can be cruel, and that life contains difficulty. Both of these facts of life lend to bullying. Human history is chock full of inhumanity, which exists in the world today.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM

297 posts, read 519,875 times
I don't think that bullying is a fact of life. I was bullied in 5th grade and it was horrible. Thankfully, it only lasted for one year but I don't consider it something that I had to grow through. I would have preferred to have skipped that part of my life. I was never bullied in middle school or high school and that's why I never dreaded going to school during those years.

Also, there was pretty much no bullying at my high school. You could weigh 1000 pounds and you would have no problems making friends at my school. Heck, you would probably be popular. There was no one in my high school who the whole school picked up, or was considered a loser. I don't think anyone really cared. It was a pretty accepting place. I also think bullying didn't occur there because there were a lot of kids in my school who were well liked, had lots of friends, well spoken, etc that would not let bullying happen. I remember a new kid moved to our town and you could tell he had some problems so some jerk made a facebook group mocking him. Lots of students from my school joined the group saying that this cyber bullying, that it's messed up, knock it off, etc and told the school about it. It makes me sad knowing that most schools aren't like mine and most of them would join that group to make jokes about the kid. Whenever I hear about kids committing suicide from bullying, it's always that everyone in the school either turned away or bullied them too.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:

i never put words into your mouth. i responded based on your statements. also, if you were really intelligent rather than a typical superficial poser, you would realize that your grammatically correct statements are incorrect and you contradicted yourself. writing grammatically correct has nothing to do with whether the crap you spew is even true or correct, do you realize that? i guess not! as far as intelligence goes, it's obvious you aren't because i already answered the question in a previous post. you would realize this, if you could read or understand reading comprehension. yes, bullying or aggression is evident in nature so it is natural just as murder, rape or disease. anyone having to even ask it is obtuse to the extreme or a troll.

why i found your post ridiculous as well as hypocritical is because you stated that one has to survive by dominating others and then state you don't agree with it and that there is no good reason for it. illogical and contradictory much???? do you even know what intelligence means? so those who bullied you needed to do this to survive? lol.

then you proceed to give an account of your bullied experience, even go so far to make retarded assumptions that only "you" would understand bullying from your experience at three years old. lmao

though, you seem to think being bullied is something to be ashamed of since you mention my so-called touchiness of it, that is not the issue. i feel strongly because those i loved also were bullied as well as i witnessed others bullied at various times. one not need to be a direct victim of something to be against it or feel strongly about it as you are so assured and mocking. many people are against animal cruelty and feel strongly or passionately against it even though they have never been a victim of it. many people are against murder and feel very strongly against it even though they have never been a victim of murder (lol). if they were, they wouldn't be around to express it. it's called morals or moral outrage. some people just have a stronger sense of ethics than others. it seems that possibility didn't occur to you and in your perception one must be a victim in order to feel strongly or have a strong opinion about anything. lol

before you correct me, make sure you take the plank out of your own eye. your welcome.

Last edited by rory00; 10-28-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates