Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
OK - I know this topic is going to fan some flamers, but I think it's extremely relevant given the recent media highlight (and very sad/unfortuante results) of bullying.

There are several other threads that touch on the topic of bullying in some way or another, but my question is - Bullying - is it just a fact of life?

In other words, sure, it would be wonderful if we could live in a peaceful world of no bullying, no violence, no suicide, no bombs, make love not war, etc., but is bullying just intrinsic to human nature? Do humans (whether we want to admit it or not) have a sort of "pack mentality" with a very complicated hierarchy and pecking order, which ultimately means someone is selected (by the "pack") to be at the bottom of the social food chain, and is therefore bullied and harassed until they become the universal pariah?

Please don't misunderstand my question - I am not debating the wrongness or rightness of bullying, or ignoring its immense emotional and societal impact. I'm simply wanting to hear some intellectual/philosophical (hopefully friendly/polite) debate about whether or not this particular behavior is programmed into our DNA.

There has been so much recent press about how to stop bullying - it seems reasonable to me to analyze it's root cause.
It's a fact of life if we accept it as one.

Most bullies are people who've been abused/bullied themselves. So, on a grand scale, it's really about ending the culture of domination/power that we have in the world today. The effects of this culture play out in many ways, bullying being only one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Bullying - is it just a fact of life?

Only if you put up with it. even if the guy/girl is a lot bigger and stronger, then.....get sneakier. Think Ambush, and NEVER let them know what you are thinking, and....don't threaten. When you stop being fun to pick on, they will quit. It is also profitable, for several years of my life, I made a good living bullying the bullies.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 10-09-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's a fact of life if we accept it as one.

Most bullies are people who've been abused/bullied themselves. So, on a grand scale, it's really about ending the culture of domination/power that we have in the world today. The effects of this culture play out in many ways, bullying being only one of them.
So some kid gets bullied. Who cares, life is tough. The world also is a cruel place.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Exactly, life is hard.

In a society that has taught children that everyone is special and nobody should ever have their feelings hurt these child suicides are becoming more prevalent. These children are not being brought up with the skills needed to deal with life.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
No school policy or new law will stop bullying. Parents need to teach thier children how to defend themselves against a bully. The only way to stop a bully is with force. If your child is not that big or strong, then they need to even up the odds with a martial art. No where in life do you find that bad people are talked out of doing bad things. The only thing that stops bad behaivor of anykind is an act of physical force against it, or the threat of physical force. If you do not want your child to be the victim of a bully teach them to defend themselves. That in itself may prevent alot of bullying. The bully usually looks for an easy target, not someone who may give them a run for thier money. The greatest deterant is strength.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 AM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Being able to physically defend yourself may not be enough, or may not work, when the bullying is psychological. My son started to fight back physically with a bully that picked on him for years, until my son realized that the bully was trying to have my son get caught pushing the bully.

Bullying may be part human nature, however, that does not mean we can't try to fix it. Plus, when it's your kid being bullied, it takes on a whole new meaning.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,399 times
The kids these days are so weak! But it's their parents fault because they tried to raise them in a utopia! I was never bullied even though there were tons of reasons. No one had the courage to do it because I was stronger (psychically) and I always fought back (with words... not physical violence).

Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Being able to physically defend yourself may not be enough, or may not work, when the bullying is psychological. My son started to fight back physically with a bully that picked on him for years, until my son realized that the bully was trying to have my son get caught pushing the bully.

Bullying may be part human nature, however, that does not mean we can't try to fix it. Plus, when it's your kid being bullied, it takes on a whole new meaning.
But if it's part of human nature, then it can only be prevented, not eliminated.

We should teach children the skills that most adults use in daily life. We know that there are bad/violent people out there, but when needs be we defend ourselves against them.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
What if the bully knows Karate, and since real life isn't like the movies, what do you do?
I'm not talking movies, sweetie. I'm talking teaching your kid to defend herself. First, bullys don't fight. They tease and jump. You get a bully by himself, see what happens. I guess you rather your kid get taunted throughout school. This taunting travels from school to school. They go to the same schools with most of the area kids. Your kid is getting the crap kicked out of him for years. Now, Johnny is back to school to retaliate with a gun.

I would rather a kid fight to protect himself, then stand and take it.

Better yet, mom and dad are at the school pleading his/her case. Your kid is a victim and a whiner.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I'm not talking movies, sweetie. I'm talking teaching your kid to defend herself. First, bullys don't fight. They tease and jump. You get a bully by himself, see what happens. I guess you rather your kid get taunted throughout school. This taunting travels from school to school. They go to the same schools with most of the area kids. Your kid is getting the crap kicked out of him for years. Now, Johnny is back to school to retaliate with a gun.

I would rather a kid fight to protect himself, then stand and take it.

Better yet, mom and dad are at the school pleading his/her case. Your kid is a victim and a whiner.
Yeah and you know what happens after that? The kids you just had mommy complain about are going to kick your A$$ so much harder now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates