Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Basically it has increased but only because they can easily get away with it or the punshment is a joke. Its like so mnay laws really especially with juvenile offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Those pesky rules of a civilized society-being kind and respectful to others (children included). Thank goodness for those 55+ communities where children are considered some sort of invaders and can be openly scorned.
Back to the subject- I've found that most bullies have bullies for parents. They see their parent's rude behavior towards others who they think are lesser than them (service employees, wait staff, etc.). Many times they witness their father slapping around Mom or siblings. Usually, I'm not one to necessarily blame the parents for a child's bad behavior (some kids and adults are just rotten), but I think it's warranted in respect to bullying.
The nature of human society, nay the human condition, is that some persons may seek to be unkind. Why seek to distort children to the reality of the world as it is?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Maybe if more people stopped thinking that it's up to the kids being bullied to stop the people bullying them, then more adults would try to get together and finds ways to take bullying more seriously.

When my kids have been picked on outside of school situations, my kids have stopped the behavior, or defended themselves just fine. But when they go to a place with rules, structure, teachers that don't see everything, and bullies that get other kids to join in and have parents that run the school board, then it is not so easy.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Why should a child have to walk through life defending him/herself against bullies who obviously come from trash?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
The nature of human society, nay the human condition, is that some persons may seek to be unkind. Why seek to distort children to the reality of the world as it is?
What the HELL are you smoking?

Just because some people are insecure asshats that come from screwed up homes doesn't give them the right to be unkind or bestow their "unkindness" on anyone else. In childhood or adulthood.

Why seek to excuse it?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
So some kid gets bullied. Who cares, life is tough. The world also is a cruel place.
If we accept that the world is a cruel place and that this is inevitable, then we'll have the world we've got. If we want something better, then we have to do something different.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why should a child have to walk through life defending him/herself against bullies who obviously come from trash?
There are bad people though. And who says bullies come from trash? Is there any research to substantiate this?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If we accept that the world is a cruel place and that this is inevitable, then we'll have the world we've got. If we want something better, then we have to do something different.
When was it ever different?

It's cruel to tell children that bad things wouldn't happen.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Bullies do what they do mainly because they believe they can get away with it. Punish them...or turn around and slug them...and you'd see the number of instances of bullying go way, way down.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
Default Bullying - is it just a fact of life?

Uh, sorry, but no it's not. It's people who think this way that make bullying go on and on everyday. If we as parents, sisters, brothers, friends, etc stood up to it I'm pretty sure it would have stopped as soon as last year.

One day while picking up my son at his school, I observed first-hand bullying right in front of my face. The boy being bullied was a non-verbal autistic kid and the boys doing the bullying were a bunch of hispanic kids. They were basically smacking on his face, shoving etc, but what surprised me most was the fact that there was a bunch of mothers (came to realize that some were the bullies' mothers) sitting right next to them, all pretending like nothing was happening. So I just went ahead and grabbed the little boys' hands (including the boy being bullied) and take them all to the Principal's office. I hope the bullies where expelled from school, I truly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates