Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What the HELL are you smoking?

Just because some people are insecure asshats that come from screwed up homes doesn't give them the right to be unkind or bestow their "unkindness" on anyone else. In childhood or adulthood.

Why seek to excuse it?
i'm not excusing it. I'm simply saying that it has to be managed, and will happen. To say it will never happen is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i'm not excusing it. I'm simply saying that it has to be managed, and will happen. To say it will never happen is unrealistic.
Stopping it is very realistic.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
it's the PC society we live in that condemns bullying.

I'll say these things though:

- Human society is hierarchical
- Cruelty is part of human nature
- Nobody has to respect others
- Life is hard

Kids need to be taught this early on, such is the world.

I'm sure when cannibalism was widespread, the last group of cannibals insisted there was nothing anyone could do about it, so why bother.

And that's what bullying is, btw, spiritual cannibalism.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 PM

That's a poor analogy.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Stopping it is very realistic.
but bad things happen.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
So you are throwing up your hands and saying "Eh, we can't stop it, so why try." I hope no child or grandchild of yours is ever harassed to the point of suicide completely unprovoked because he/she was "different".

People should watch the old horror movie "Carrie" to remember what high school/middle school bullying can be like. Unfortuantely, most bullied kids don't have telekenetic powers to retaliate on their bullies, but the character of Carrie--quiet, ostracized, and never left alone for one moment in any context--personifies thousands of kids in our schools who often don't have anyone to turn to. This is not a case of "the spoiled generation" (though I agree that this generation is spoiled and mollycoddled; I would say that usually it's the "spoiled" kids doing the teasing more often than vice versa); it is a case of parents not teaching their kids that some people are not like you and that's OK if they aren't bothering you. And while I don't think teachers need to add one MORE responsibility to their already overworked schedules, there definitely should be a way for concerned teachers to help bullied kids or interfere with bullies without getting in trouble themselves. Too many have a "CYA" attitude and so turn the other cheek because they could get into trouble for "accusing" someone's "precious child" of bullying even when it's blatantly obvious to all.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree... there always was some form of bullying, but in my opinion today's kids cannot handle it the way they could handle it 20-30 years ago.
You can thank our touchy-feely, boo-hoo china doll, mommycarryme society for that. Started in the 60s and the ripple effect is simply continuing; the wussification of this country reached absurd levels years ago. People are all but looking for an excuse to whine and cry ("America: Land of the Offended") and discipline has become not just avoided but detested because of all the spineless, mindless so-called parents out there.....ironically, this often produces both bullies and the kids they bully. Hypersensitive kids (who grow up into the hypersensitive morons saturating our society today) have FAR bigger problems than the occasional butthead bully.

As for "stopping it," you can only try to minimize it; saying it can be completely stopped is blatantly absurd.

PS and oh btw: no child has ever been "bullied into suicide." Being so depressed that you want to end your life takes a lot more than even extreme bullying or shame.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So you are throwing up your hands and saying "Eh, we can't stop it, so why try."
No, he's saying "simply that it has to be managed, and will happen. To say it will never happen is unrealistic." I thought that was pretty clear.

Quote:
People should watch the old horror movie "Carrie" to remember what high school/middle school bullying can be like.
You can't be serious. Bullying rarely goes that far and oh btw, Carrie had a completely psychotic loon of a mother. THAT was her real problem. Sorry, poor example.

Quote:
there definitely should be a way for concerned teachers to help bullied kids or interfere with bullies without getting in trouble themselves. Too many have a "CYA" attitude and so turn the other cheek because they could get into trouble for "accusing" someone's "precious child" of bullying even when it's blatantly obvious to all.
Absolutely, agree 1000%. You can thank our brilliant legal system for that. People are so "sue happy" and schools are esp. immune. Most of those cases should be tossed out on their ear.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So you are throwing up your hands and saying "Eh, we can't stop it, so why try." I hope no child or grandchild of yours is ever harassed to the point of suicide completely unprovoked because he/she was "different".

People should watch the old horror movie "Carrie" to remember what high school/middle school bullying can be like. Unfortuantely, most bullied kids don't have telekenetic powers to retaliate on their bullies, but the character of Carrie--quiet, ostracized, and never left alone for one moment in any context--personifies thousands of kids in our schools who often don't have anyone to turn to. This is not a case of "the spoiled generation" (though I agree that this generation is spoiled and mollycoddled; I would say that usually it's the "spoiled" kids doing the teasing more often than vice versa); it is a case of parents not teaching their kids that some people are not like you and that's OK if they aren't bothering you. And while I don't think teachers need to add one MORE responsibility to their already overworked schedules, there definitely should be a way for concerned teachers to help bullied kids or interfere with bullies without getting in trouble themselves. Too many have a "CYA" attitude and so turn the other cheek because they could get into trouble for "accusing" someone's "precious child" of bullying even when it's blatantly obvious to all.
Everybody has painful experiences.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
My niece had a problem with a bully. She tried to ignore it. It escalted to facebook and telling tales about her. My neice found the girl and said, if you don't remove that crap from fb today and leave me alone, I'm going to beat your azz. Needless to say, those things were deleted from her page. She stopped the foolishness. Problem solved.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-05-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates