Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times

Advertisements

I think in general, children (even adults) should be taught self-defence, whether physical or verbal.

I think also it ultimately stems to the point of managing bullying. Whilst bullies exist, it doesn't mean people should give in to them or not resist them. If society teaches people how to handle bullying, and society also teaches bullies how to get on with others, then bullying and its effects IMO would not be so severe.

As an example, if a boy at school is being pushed around, he should be told to either push back, or avoid the bullies. The bullies should be taught that people are diverse in life, and that we should disassociate with those who make us uncomfortable, or whom we don't like/respect. Basic/rudimentary social skills is the key, in both scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Bullying is another word for "Intimidation".

That can be on a small personal flaming or as one Country pushing their ideas or muscle on another country.

Past wars speak for themselves.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why should a child have to walk through life defending him/herself against bullies who obviously come from trash?
Kids shouldn't have to walk through life defending themselves 24/7, but they should be able to do it when needed. There isn't always, or even usually, someone around to protect you when you need it, not as a child and certainly not as an adult. Parents have a responsibility to teach their children to be self reliant and able to protect themselves.

There is a middle ground between putting your 5 year old in boot camp and teach them to gouge eyes and break bones, and home schooling your teenager to keep them 100% insulated and safe from bullies.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
I do not think bullying is necessarily a part of human nature...the vast majority of people do not bully others. Rather I think it is an indication of a "sick" society...where some children are taught/encouraged to bully by their parents and condoned by many societal institutions. A good example is where bullying against gay citizens is actually encouraged by governmental policies(D.O.M.A.) and many religious institutions thru misinformation and teaching our youth to "hate" other groups. Bullying is innate to certain people....primarily those who hold power....be it religious, governmental or within a social structure in our schools....but not the majority.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM

720 posts, read 706,014 times
I was bullied in school when I grew up. There was all kinds of remedies and solutions expressed and tried by the school, guidence counselors and Psychologist. To say the least all these things had little or no effect. Finally after years of bullying, in the 7th grade, I took matters into my own hands. I brought my baseball bat to school and had it with me when I walked home. When three bullies stopped me and shoved me down, calling me all kinds of names, I proceeded to correct their attitude with my bat. It worked great, no more bullying untill in the 10th grade and the same remedy worked then too.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I do not think bullying is necessarily a part of human nature...the vast majority of people do not bully others. Rather I think it is an indication of a "sick" society...where some children are taught/encouraged to bully by their parents and condoned by many societal institutions. A good example is where bullying against gay citizens is actually encouraged by governmental policies(D.O.M.A.) and many religious institutions thru misinformation and teaching our youth to "hate" other groups. Bullying is innate to certain people....primarily those who hold power....be it religious, governmental or within a social structure in our schools....but not the majority.
Human beings are unkind. How is that a matter of dispute?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
It is probably in the natural order of things. That doesn't make it right or good though. It's human behavior at it's crudest, It's extremely damaging to those who get bullied. That's why schools need to go out of their way to stop it. They are not doing enough. One of my ideas is to take out the worst bullies and transfer them to bully schools. This would confuse the bullies as they would have no obvious victims. Plus it would be great relief to victims, they can get an education instead of getting victimizing by bullies.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
We were discussing this at work the other day... I know when I was in school the kids were a LOT different than they are these days. For example, yes bullying in and of itself has gone on for decades and longer... When i was in school, I saw bullying but you NEVER heard of anyone committing suicide over it or anything even close. I think the kids these days are a lot more brazen, the ones they pick on have way less self esteem than they did when I was a kid and the bullying is more terroristic in nature I feel.

I don't know what's happening but I do know that this all begins at home. I think that more and more kids are reaching out to other kids for attention (like young girls reaching out to boys) and they aren't getting the right kind of attention, love and support at home. The parents of the bullies; those kids probably have been growing up watching their own parents beat on each other and fight and know of nothing better. They don't know what it's like to be nice to each other and be loving.

All or most of these problems really do stem from their home lives, I truly do believe this.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
So some kid gets bullied. Who cares, life is tough. The world also is a cruel place.
Really, callous without a drop of compassion. How sad for you.

To respond to the post....

In the supermarket earlier I noticed the new People magazine was about bullying and photos on the cover of three boys who commited suicide. Their families, peers, teachers and society have failed these kids and let them down when you feel so alone and overwhelmed that the only alternative is take your own life. They haven't gotten the support they needed.

I have no clue what could possibly be going thru the mind of a bully, except the obvious, they get joy from hurting others.

Can't agree with the posters who think it has to do with a lack of self esteem. They're either damaged or its there nature to be a bully.

Last edited by virgode; 10-13-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times
I think there are exceedingly few people who simply have a "bullying nature" in general, although some kids might have bullying moments or "phases" in their lives. But I think in most cases they are treated too harshly at home (usually by parents). How people act is often a manifestation of how they themselves have been treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates