Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times

Advertisements

Bullies know no bounds of affluence, race, etc etc. That isn't stating the obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
True. Human beings can be cruel. I would not dispute this.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 PM

People can win the lottery too. But it's not exactly commonplace. Sorry, poor analogy.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
I posted those links because a poster had stated that children do not commit acts of violence or murder, which is not true.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Root cause is the parents who deny that their children are bullies. Being a parent for almost three decades and having a few still in school, rest assured that the kids who bully oftentimes (meaning most of the time) have parents who are bullies themselves, parents who verbally harass coaches, teachers, other parents if they don't get their way.

Private schools are not better than public schools when it comes to bullying, in fact, private schools, wanting to hold onto financial/monetary contributions from wealthy benefactor families (and grandparents) are turning a blind eye to the bullying problem. They figure it's better to lose a few good students (meaning the parents get so disgusted that they pull their bullied child out of that particular school) than to have the entire school collapse and fall off the earth. So much is swept under the rug, so much is spinned that the reality of what really happened is contorted and twisted into some unrecognizable amalgam of cr*p.

Most people don't want to sue, nor do they have the money, the knowledge, or the time to continually sue schools into complying with their own anti-bullying policies. However, until there is a national anti-bullying law in this country, schools are NOT taking a universal stance against bullying in this country and parents are forced to sue hodge-podge. Actually schools are taking a stance against bullying, they're just not actually ENFORCING the policy and enforcement is the critical step.
I see a connection between schools not enforcing their own anti-bullying policies and our criminal justice system being soft on crime i.e criminals being released early before their sentenes are complete, states rarely carrying out death sentences etc.

I believe there are many individuals who are drawn to and admire bully as well as violent criminal personality types. Many of the same kids who give bullies energy by laughing at their victims will grow up to be adults who want to give the dangerous criminal "one more chance".

Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
All of you people saying that bullying is a fact of life that kids just have to deal with are ignoring the fact that most of these things done in the adult world would land you jail time for assault at worst and harassment at best.

I'd prefer not to teach children that harassment is something that they should just get used to. For one so that they know their rights and for two so that they don't get the unrealistic idea that they won't be punished for it as adults if they partake.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I posted those links because a poster had stated that children do not commit acts of violence or murder, which is not true.
The poster stated it meaning that generally speaking it's not true. He didn't say it NEVER happens. That's my point. Exceptions to the rule don't invalidate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I'd prefer not to teach children that harassment is something that they should just get used to.
I don't think anyone is saying that. We're saying it's something they should get used to DEALING WITH ie vs just putting up with.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Quote:
All of you people saying that bullying is a fact of life that kids just have to deal with are ignoring the fact that most of these things done in the adult world would land you jail time for assault at worst and harassment at best.

I'd prefer not to teach children that harassment is something that they should just get used to. For one so that they know their rights and for two so that they don't get the unrealistic idea that they won't be punished for it as adults if they partake.
It is true that bad things happen, right? Who here has said that bullying is acceptable?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,435 times
Quote:

Mmm, I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the thread. This is not about consequences or whether bullying is wrong or right. This is about straight up whether or not bullying is natural in humans.

No one here is advocating for bullies to continue bullying anyways.

As for the topic, based on how the animal kingdom runs, I think we humans are no exception. There is always a pecking order. It's a dog eat dog world out there. And to fight for your own survival, you dominant others.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Mmm, I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the thread.

And to fight for your own survival, you dominant others.

no, you are misunderstanding. you don't need to dominate others that aren't dominating you. what excuse does a man have for raping a child? that he's dominated by the child? pfft.

futhermore, there is simply a lack of sanity in your statement. there is no good reason for a child to be bullied by someone when they are at school to learn and minding their own business. it not only disrupts learning and the school environment and degrades it.

it's hard to take people like you seriously when if something happened to you, you would probably go run and cry to the police like everyone else while spouting this hypocritical farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates