Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times

Advertisements

The arguments for African poverty are so:

- Colonialism
- Corruption
- Western attempts to undermine the continent covertly

The first example is a no-no. If colonialism always undermines development, then why is India an aspiring power now? The British treated India awfully.

Secondly, all countries are corrupt, with no exceptions. Corruption will exist as long as human beings exist. Yet for most countries, corruption does not retard economic development, so why in Africa?

Lastly, well racism is racism.

So, since corruption is part of the human condition, and colonialism affected other areas badly also, why is Africa still poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Corruption

Corruption is not an either/or condition. I agree that corruption is everywhere and is part of the human condition, but I do not agree that it is the same everywhere. A country can be a little bit corrupt (i.e., the United States), or massively corrupt, as are many countries in Africa, or anywhere in between. Here we have a tradition of a free press, and this helps to expose corruption; the Los Angeles Times is always reporting about some public official who is charged or sentenced, both in California and nation-wide. So I don't think we can dismiss corruption so cavalierly as one of the causes of the poverty of Africa today.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Africa was in chaos even when the Europeans first set foot in there. That's why it was easy to enslave. Some tribes even helped enslave other tribes.

I can only say it's the impossibility of several clans and tribes that can never reconcile with one another.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

- Colonialism
- Corruption

The first example is a no-no. If colonialism always undermines development, then why is India an aspiring power now? The British treated India awfully.

Secondly, all countries are corrupt, with no exceptions. Corruption will exist as long as human beings exist. Yet for most countries, corruption does not retard economic development, so why in Africa?

So, since corruption is part of the human condition, and colonialism affected other areas badly also, why is Africa still poor?
Rampant corruption, superstition, and lack of education are the big three. Also the tribal system is a big problem since a lot of Africans still see things divided along those lines, rather than identify with a specific country.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

- Colonialism
- Corruption

You mean there is no poverty in India?
Latin America isn't poor?
Eastern europe isn't poor?
Parts of Southeast Asia aren't poor?

i get your point, it's: I'm not a racist BUT........

Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Why is Africa still poor?

I'm not sure why you think Africa is poor. The continent has vast oil reserves, diamond, gold, silver, copper, platinum. A rich cultural background and a land mass bigger than N. and S. America combined. It is true that the vast majority of the riches are in only a few hands, but, that does not mean the continent itself is poor. To its' misfortune, it is overly rich in greed, bigotry, and ignorance as well.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
My dad was sent to Nigeria to train oil field workers there. Though he wasn't high in the company, they sent him an armored vehicle with a driver. The first week he was there, a car wrecked into a tree killing the driver whose body partially hung out the car door. Few months later when it was time for him to leave the country, the car and body was still there. He asked the driver why no one had moved the car and body. Driver said his family didn't have the money to pay anyone to move the car or body so they left it there. While waiting for permission to leave the country, his passport and visa were missing. The government official told my dad, "you give us $100 and we'll find your passport and visa." He'd been warned about this so he had $100 ready. He handed over the money. The government official pocketed the money and said, "good news, we've found your passport and visa" and handed it back to my dad. When I was in Egypt, I saw a man on the street trying to sell a 12 year old girl he claimed was his daughter. In Tunis, Tunisia the women on our ship were told to stay with a man from the ship. The local men would ignore the women and go to the man next to the woman and ask, "how much for your woman? I give you 25 camel for your woman". South Africa is currently the rape capital of the world, a place where men and women can purchase rape insurance.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
What kind of manufacturing base does Africa have? What goods are they producing that aren't available in most of the rest of the world already?

They have natural resources, yes, but not the regular production thats needed to sustain a civilized western European society that most of us see as a progressive society.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM

589 posts, read 756,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

You have to admit that Sub-Saharan Africa is lightyears behind in development compared to other regions on the planet. Sub-Saharan Africa has by and large become worse since Colonialism ended. Many people were better off surprisingly. Somalia was a peaceful nation under Italian rule. The Congo region and Nigeria also had stability. And thats just naming two small examples there, there are many many more. So its a valid question and asking it does not make someone racist. Calling someone a racist for bringing it up is a cop out and is a way to shut down any conversation on a topic.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:53 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

India is poor, but progressing. South America is poor, but countries like Brazil are progressing. Eastern European countries are only just below first world and have (or are) joined the European Union. Southeast Asia is progressing. Why isn't Africa progressing?

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think Africa is poor. The continent has vast oil reserves, diamond, gold, silver, copper, platinum. A rich cultural background and a land mass bigger than N. and S. America combined. It is true that the vast majority of the riches are in only a few hands, but, that does not mean the continent itself is poor. To its' misfortune, it is overly rich in greed, bigotry, and ignorance as well.
The general living standard is extraordinarily low. Besides, there are a few countries that have prospered without extensive natural resources. Japan and Singapore are examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates