Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

There now days is alot more crime on college campuses. As I recall the gay guy that killed himself recently was in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:45 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There now days is alot more crime on college campuses. As I recall the gay guy that killed himself recently was in college.
I don't think the OP is saying that there is no bullying in colleges, but compared to the incidences that happen during middle and high school years, it is a lot less. There always will be bullying occuring anywhere.

@OP It is because when you hit college, people are more mature. More colleges also have stricter policies against hate compared to middle/high school. Primarily, those who go to college are more often than not, trying to set a path to success for themselves, which means that they are more disciplined and wouldn't want to jepordize their future with stupid antics.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
there are many differences between college and high/middle school:

1) no one is forced to go to college, as opposed to high school. the folks in college are there for a reason and that purpose may curtail immature behaviors like bullying

2) there's far more flexibility in college than high school. it's easy to change class sections, drop a class, or even just withdraw and attend another school altogether. not so with high schools. you may have kids who have little choice but to stay in a particular class or school and be subjected to bullying.

3) obviously, maturity level is a big thing. sure there are some truly immature college students and some very mature high school students, but for the most part, kids are immature. I wouldn't be surprised if there were cases of bullying among freshmen students living in dorms. I've witnessed some younger students trying to engage in nasty gossiping about other people and it would get shut down in a hurry by other, often older students

4) the rules in college are just more rigorous than in most high schools, IMHO. I've had professors hold nothing back when dealing w/ rude students (and again, there's the class factor, where other members of the class may join in chastising the rude student). god forbid a middle or high school teacher hurts the feeling of a rude student, the student's parents would be all over them!

now that I think about it, I think parents can be as much of an issue as the bully themselves. I wonder if overly sensitive helicopter parents are getting in the way of real enforcement of rules against bullying. no one wants their precious Junior/Juniorette to be labeled as a "bully". with college, there's no kowtowing to parents (well, maybe a little in terms of getting the parents to send their kids to the college). granted, this is from my own personal experience, but professors in college will put up with far less BS than HS students. thankfully, as mentioned in #1, there aren't many students there to BS around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates