Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,269 times

Advertisements

Feed the Flesh sounds like a good name for a horror flick...off topic sorry, still there is a synthetic process involved and again one is necessary the other is not. If a woman can't breastfeed formulas are great as well as feeding solutions for the sick but I'd rather eat something that got it's nutrition via natural means although I do not all the time due to cost of such foods, I mean I'm sure my veggies aren't all 100% naturally grown. I'm just saying I personally would prefer we have all natural foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 PM

952 posts, read 942,878 times
I was raised as a Vegetarian

....but then I lost my vegen-ity

Last edited by alphaluce; 10-28-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Would you return to eating meat if all the overtones of animal cruelty were removed from the process of producing meat? If we could grow animal flesh in a nutrient tank (a la sci-fi tech), so that there was never a live animal involved, would you return to eating meat?

This is a question for those of you who don't eat animal products due to moral opinions, not those of you who refuse it on health grounds.
I don't think so. It's been years since I had meat and I am not really interested. Even if the cruelty was removed there is still the issue of copious amounts of saturated fat and cholestorol. I would not have an ethical objection to it however.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM

661 posts, read 1,251,535 times
When we lived on a farm there was nothing tastier than a chicken that literally went from the barnyard to the roaster in under an hour. GOOD EATS!
No thanks to a tank of goo.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
My wife is a vegetarian for 'moral' reasons. Her reason does not have anything to do with killing animals per se, but instead it is based on the efficiency of land use. Animals take up a lot more resources to raise than plants, and she feels that eating meat is irresponsible in a world with scarcity caused malnutrition.
Admirable, I applaud your wife's kind soul. However, the benefit is only theory and falls apart in the long-term.

The big issue is that scarcity and malnutrion are localized and generally rooted in lack of distribution and localized over-population. (and corruption)
One of the worst starvations in recent history was North Korea where people ate bark off trees and perhaps over a million died while they spent on developing missles, nukes etc.

The irony being that if we stabilize at around 8billion people (hypothetical) and then went to the all grain efficient diet route....we'd be up to 24 billion pretty quickly.

Then we'd have added overpopulation and usage of OTHER resources....and be right back to the scenario of scarcity and malnutrition.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Where I live, at a local metro park every year the deer population has to be thinned because they ravage the plantlife. If the deer population were left unchecked, there would be starvation for not only other deer, but for other park animals. With that in mind, I like to eat a lot of meat for humanitatian reasons. See, the animals I am eating are no longer consuming plantlife, allowing more food for other animals. And since many of these animals are larger and need more sustenance than do I, by my consuming them, I am saving vast resources so that other animals can live.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Where I live, at a local metro park every year the deer population has to be thinned because they ravage the plantlife. If the deer population were left unchecked, there would be starvation for not only other deer, but for other park animals. With that in mind, I like to eat a lot of meat for humanitatian reasons. See, the animals I am eating are no longer consuming plantlife, allowing more food for other animals. And since many of these animals are larger and need more sustenance than do I, by my consuming them, I am saving vast resources so that other animals can live.
I hear ya!
I'm currently waiting for deer, elk and salmon to fill up my freezer. The bounty in Oregon is delicious.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Impossible to find any meaningful average of course, but assuming 2 acres to graze a cow, 600 lbs. of useable meat from a market ready steer, an average of 1280 calories per pound of meat, 180 bushels of corn per acre and about 7300 btu's per bushel, you can produce roughly three times more calories with with corn on the same acreage.

Not really that meaningful, but I retract my statement under the conditions listed above.
In all fairness you do have to remember that the crappy farmland is usually used for grazing and wouldn't be particularly productive in a lot of cases for growing crops. That is why cattle country is usually located in semi-arid areas.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Not really...as previously mentioned, new sheets of human skin can be grown for skin grafts. We've been able to do that for decades now, in fact. If there was any dangerous 'chemical alteration' required to do so, don't you think people would be screaming about how dangerous skin grafts are?

Again, this is all just hypothetical musing anyway. The whole question presupposes that it's possible to do so, and that the product is real meat that looks, tastes, and feels like meat grown on an animal.
Although I'm an avid and prolific meat eater, I don't think those who need skin grafts are really questioning the side effects

Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
im not sure id trust something grown in a vat of chemical nutrient as a food source.
id be worried about the hormones and antibiotics used to "create" the meat (this is also the same reason i buy as much meat and veggies as possible from local famrs whome i have a personal relationship with...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates