Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
However, the question I pose is whether or not people who object to eating meat because they think it's animal cruelty would eat meat if somehow all the aspects of cruelty were removed. My first thought of how this might work was the typical sci-fi answer of reproducing meat through scientific means rather than having it grow directly on the animal. Since humans can grow sheets of new skin for burn victims from a mere scrap of skin from the donor, the tech to grow actual meat isn't that unrealistic a thought.
I like the way you think!
Also, a fan of sci-fi (and science) and disappointed that more posters aren't "getting it".

I'm a llllllloooooong term vegetarian. Over 25 years (?) now.

I've lost my "taste" for animal flesh and don't miss it.

What I would be interested in, for health reasons, would be a synthetic, cruelty-free fatty fish (salmon). As I age I could really use those Omega-3s.

Thanks for asking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Well, when glancing at the title of this thread I was already assuming this to be a bashing for those who choose this 'eatstyle'. Because although I'm definitely NOT a vegetarian, I support anyone's choice to be so. (I couldn't do it because there's so few vegetables I like.)

The hypothetical question isn't as far out as it may sound. People already eat vegetables that are prepared to taste like meat, or are 'fake meats'. So I'd say yes, I think some vegetarians would, as long as the hydroponic "meat" tasted good.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM

321 posts, read 920,575 times
Flexitarian - I guess that's what I am although I only eat seafood a few times a month. I don't miss eating meat at all - haven't for years so I guess I wouldn't want to bother with this fake meat and my reasons for no meat are moral coupled with how meat is produced nowadays I do buy meat for my family but only farm raised, local if possible.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Would you return to eating meat if all the overtones of animal cruelty were removed from the process of producing meat? If we could grow animal flesh in a nutrient tank (a la sci-fi tech), so that there was never a live animal involved, would you return to eating meat?

This is a question for those of you who don't eat animal products due to moral opinions, not those of you who refuse it on health grounds.

I truly believe that there is no such thing as a vegan or vegetarian, as when it comes down to survival or dying, they will eat meat just like any other person that eats meat in their diet.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I truly believe that there is no such thing as a vegan or vegetarian, as when it comes down to survival or dying, they will eat meat just like any other person that eats meat in their diet.
I think that's essentially the whole point of an ethical vegan: They don't have to eat meat.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I eat meat for moral reasons, and would refuse to eat "created" meat for the same moral reasons.

We're part of the food chain. Our bodies are built to be omnivorous. Therefore, it is unethical, and immoral, to not eat meat. If every human being on the entire planet ceased to eat meat, the planet would suffer. We do our duty as sentient beings when we consume meat.

Also, bacon made out of anything other than pork just totally sucks.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I eat meat for moral reasons, and would refuse to eat "created" meat for the same moral reasons.

We're part of the food chain. Our bodies are built to be omnivorous. Therefore, it is unethical, and immoral, to not eat meat. If every human being on the entire planet ceased to eat meat, the planet would suffer. We do our duty as sentient beings when we consume meat.

This is tongue-in-cheek right? Who is this 'builder' that you are 'morally defying' by going against 'its will for us to be omnivorous'?

And how would the planet suffer if we didn't eat meat? Growing meat (which includes growing crops to feed the animals) uses a lot more resources and creates a lot more pollution per meal than growing crops directly for human consumption.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:22 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

wow... our bodies aren't "built" for anything...there is no grand designer. Eating meat actually is causing great harm to the earth. I'm thinking mostly of all the pollution of the air and water caused by factrory farming. Also, according to the U.N, cattle releasing methane is more harmfull for the planet than all the automobiles currently on the road. Btw, there there is no "food chain" there is a food web of which we are a part. The fact that we are omnivores does not mean that we need to eat meat and vegetable matter...it just means we can eat both. The fact that we are the closest relatives of the chimpanze should tell us that perhaps we should lean more towards the plant eating side of things...that and the fact that vegetarians have far lower cancer rates, obesity, diabetes..etc.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Are you for real? If I put you on an island where there was only vegetation to eat would you then consider yourself a vegetarian? Just becuase I would eat meat in a survival situation does not negate the fact that I'm a vegan. I might eat you if it were a live or die situation...I don't think that means that I should start eating people now because in a survival situation I might eat them. I don't find it useful to live my life as if I'm on some deserted island with no rescue in sight. I don't need to eat corpses to live a healthy happy life so I don't. It's very simple.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
wow... our bodies aren't "built" for anything...there is no grand designer. Eating meat actually is causing great harm to the earth. I'm thinking mostly of all the pollution of the air and water caused by factrory farming. Also, according to the U.N, cattle releasing methane is more harmfull for the planet than all the automobiles currently on the road. Btw, there there is no "food chain" there is a food web of which we are a part. The fact that we are omnivores does not mean that we need to eat meat and vegetable matter...it just means we can eat both. The fact that we are the closest relatives of the chimpanze should tell us that perhaps we should lean more towards the plant eating side of things...that and the fact that vegetarians have far lower cancer rates, obesity, diabetes..etc.

Getting a bit off topic, but some believe in God, aka "grand designer". But that is a whole other topic.

Anything that eats will eventually release methane. You could say that veggies make some release more.......beans.

I read w/in this past yr that the largest ozone "hole" was above a rain forest. IIRC it was the Amazon.

I was taught about the "food chain"(as it was called back then), food chain, food web, call it what you want but I bet we all get the idea.

Some areas in the US cannot raise enough veggies that humans can consume to support a "village"("it takes a village..." sorry couldn't resist). The grass and grain that is produced can feed livestock to put that land to use to feed people.

Bad things CAN happen when you concentrate people/livestock/plants. People do harm to the planet, not factory farms. Just like guns don't kill, people kill. We are in control, we are the most intelligent life form on the planet.

Just my $.02, keep the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates