Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Well, truth is, they have pretty much been cut off. One thing I do wonder about the 99ers though (and I do get some are just trying to hold on and hang on but it cannot continue forever - the UI benefits), is why they are not channeling more of their efforts into cutting off job off-shoring or getting those jobs back or creating new kinds of jobs or fighting for free training.

I've belonged to a forum (which has subsequently shut down) and the theme was focused on additional UI benefits. My question is, even if you get three more months or 12 more months the economy will not have turned around enough to employ the millions out of work. So why not focus on these other measures? Does anyone agree with me? And even if you are not out of work, your job could be the next one to be outsourced. So why not fight to stop the outsourcing? I follow politics rather closely and I don't see this topic covered much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Like it or not, companies can and will outsource.

There is no way to stop it other than making the US a more friendly environment for them to do business.

It is not just the wages, there are also many codes to deal with.

This will not change in the near future.

It is the new normal.

Of course there are "safety net" so people do not stave to death.

IMO, in time you will see many glad to work for less than minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

371 posts, read 393,450 times
We can open up jobs by deporting 12 million. Also restaurants can merge some job, increases wages slightly and increase profits via technology. Halting immigration of unskilled laborers also helps protect workers and if we ever get in a decent position (less debt) we can re-instate import tariffs.

I've never understood giving nearly 2 years of UI.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
We can open up jobs by deporting 12 million. Also restaurants can merge some job, increases wages slightly and increase profits via technology. Halting immigration of unskilled laborers also helps protect workers and if we ever get in a decent position (less debt) we can re-instate import tariffs.

I've never understood giving nearly 2 years of UI.
Why couldn't we immediately reinstate import tariffs?

I do agree that illegals are taking some of our jobs away. And this business of having to be bilingual to get a job often is ridiculous.

I think maybe one year of UI might have been more appropriate.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times
Default There's jobs out there...You have to push yourself to get them

Firstly, there are not 12 million illegals in this country...It's got to be more like 20 million.

During the past decade I've traveled through all types of cities and small towns (selling with my samples in my car), all over except in the Rocky Mountain states and Northern Plains states.

In every little town I've seen illegals...How do I know they are illegal?...Think of the demographics, 50% of the Latinos are here illegally, add to that the illegal Asians and illegal Europeans.

And many are getting good wages...they are not making less than minimum wage...Any business owner will pay to keep a good worker.

Apparently many are making enough to live here with families as well as send money home to mom and pop.

And let's face it...Many are damned good workers.

We all see them every day...And if someone want's their jobs - Go to their boss and ask for work. If you do a decent day's work, they'll pay you.

What is it that we need in this country to get back on track?...1 million jobs?...Out of the 12 million, or 15 million or whatever million jobs that are now being done by illegals, the bosses will certainly consider giving 10% of those jobs to legals...to keep the peace...to keep people from complaining about them (and where they are getting the money to pay their workers off the books).

Many of these businesses have both legals and illegals working...But, you have to do a day's work to compete...And like I said - If you do a decent day's work, you will get a decent day's pay.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM

371 posts, read 393,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why couldn't we immediately reinstate import tariffs?

I do agree that illegals are taking some of our jobs away. And this business of having to be bilingual to get a job often is ridiculous.

I think maybe one year of UI might have been more appropriate.
We could on a few countries, but not China. Our deficit spending has allowed China to buy such a large stake in America that now we have to consider them when making foreign policy, specifically trade policy with China.

I'm really curious if this mess can be recovered from. The combo of a devalued dollar, high debt, job outsourcing, massive immigration when combined with a Chinese economy that is exploding (and their GDP will surpass ours by 2020) could actually make our total GDP start decreasing. If that happens get ready for a wild ride (I feel sorry for the American's that are here and weren't contributing to the failure).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, truth is, they have pretty much been cut off. One thing I do wonder about the 99ers though (and I do get some are just trying to hold on and hang on but it cannot continue forever - the UI benefits), is why they are not channeling more of their efforts into cutting off job off-shoring or getting those jobs back or creating new kinds of jobs or fighting for free training.

I've belonged to a forum (which has subsequently shut down) and the theme was focused on additional UI benefits. My question is, even if you get three more months or 12 more months the economy will not have turned around enough to employ the millions out of work. So why not focus on these other measures? Does anyone agree with me? And even if you are not out of work, your job could be the next one to be outsourced. So why not fight to stop the outsourcing? I follow politics rather closely and I don't see this topic covered much.
Good morning,

The "99ers" probably aren't fighting against offshoring, because it's easier and more tangible to fight for (and receive) a check, than it is to fight for reversing an economic policy that may not affect them with an immediate gratification.

It would be difficult anyway, because Republicans ideologies (and donors) are more in favor business freedom, which encourages offshoring. Democrats' ideology is more in favor of giving people checks since they feel government is the solution, especially in a bad economy.

I agree that fighting offshoring and outsourcing is the best macro effort in addition to tariffs/more equal trade policy with China, along with micro efforts like workers moving where jobs are, deporting illegals to open lower-level jobs, and job training/job placement in exchange for unemployment/welfare checks.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good morning,

The "99ers" probably aren't fighting against offshoring, because it's easier and more tangible to fight for (and receive) a check, than it is to fight for reversing an economic policy that may not affect them with an immediate gratification.

It would be difficult anyway, because Republicans ideologies (and donors) are more in favor business freedom, which encourages offshoring. Democrats' ideology is more in favor of giving people checks since they feel government is the solution, especially in a bad economy.

I agree that fighting offshoring and outsourcing is the best macro effort in addition to tariffs/more equal trade policy with China, along with micro efforts like workers moving where jobs are, deporting illegals to open lower-level jobs, and job training/job placement in exchange for unemployment/welfare checks.
And I think you've provided an excellent synopsis of the whole situation. Don't get me wrong, I really do feel for the long term unemployed, as I am one of them! At the same time, I'd push harder for job retraining (no, I'd insist on free job retraining) while getting those two years worth of benefits. That's enough time to earn either an associate or master's degree or a whole new trade! I do believe it would have been better to at least have had the 99ers doing "some kind" of work so they could have put in on their resume and not be considered rusty on experience. That would have made the most sense to me.

At any rate, it's a huge problem and quite frankly I am not sure we can come back from all the damage done. It may well be too late. And I do know it's been too late for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates