Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I know what you said. And you have got it all wrong. There are honest poor people, and many wealthy criminals. If you're assuming that the poor are all criminals, then you're stooping to stereotyping them!
You obviously don't seem to know what he said. Even in the part you quoted he said that "criminals are poor." And while that may not be 100% true (since there are wealthy criminals, though some would argue that the types of crime are not in the same categories) he never said (as you write) that "the poor are all criminals."

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
You obviously don't seem to know what he said. Even in the part you quoted he said that "criminals are poor." And while that may not be 100% true (since there are wealthy criminals, though some would argue that the types of crime are not in the same categories) he never said (as you write) that "the poor are all criminals."
He should have said what he meant then! If someone says that 'criminals are poor', what is it supposed to mean, other than what he said??

Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Do you think that the poor will ever again be considered valuable enough in society, to be truly helped to escape poverty, once and for all?
Not as long as our policy makers are dependent upon campaign contributions to run for office. The poor have no money to contribute, so any action to help them has to be supported by the politician's backers or the politician is committing political suicide.

I believe that our political campaigns should be restricted to submitting their resume (as any other candidate for a job) and their voting record. If desired, they can post their picture. If we cannot choose on that basis alone, we are in the wrong. I suppose we could grant each candidate a two minute online video that is also telecast at a time when everyone in the country can view it.

Only then will the poor be able to participate in policy decisions by voting. Only then will they be listened to by those that hold power.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
hmmm...Why do poor neighborhoods have more crime?
Why can't you just come out and admit that you think the poor are prone to crime. Have the cojones to admit that's what you really mean.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Why can't you just come out and admit that you think the poor are prone to crime. Have the cojones to admit that's what you really mean.
And why are you mad at the fact that there's a lot of crime in ghetto neighborhoods and that those crimes are committed by the residents?

Isn't that why you are careful about where you would move to? You've made threads yourself about looking for affordable and SAFE neighborhoods to move to. Otherwise, you'd just go ahead and move to the poorest neighborhoods because that would fit your budget better.

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...sant-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-friendly.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...dangerous.html

Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
Quote:
He should have said what he meant then! If someone says that 'criminals are poor', what is it supposed to mean, other than what he said??
It means exactly what he said. He said, "criminals are poor." He means, "criminals are poor." He does not mean, "poor are criminals."

Therefore, "all criminals are poor, but not all poor are criminals."

Quite similar to all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
It means exactly what he said. He said, "criminals are poor." He means, "criminals are poor." He does not mean, "poor are criminals."

Therefore, "all criminals are poor, but not all poor are criminals."

Quite similar to all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
He still should've clarified what he meant. You should not have had to do it for him! Anyhow criminals are not always poor, because there are many wealthy criminals. Just look at the criminals involved in the Enron scandal, as one example. They were wealthy enough, to afford the best legal defense that money can buy. They didn't suddenly become poverty-stricken, just because they committed crimes. Mobsters are also criminals. Are they poor? No way! So his premise that criminals are poor, is nonsense anyhow!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A person's value to society comes from what they give back to their society, not by virtue of their mere existence. There are poor people who make the world a better place and rich people that are totally worthless and vice versa.

A person's "value" to society is not based on their income. It's what they do with what they've got.

Like using a fishbone as a comb.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

168 posts, read 307,930 times
so, what makes me poor? lower income? lack of a high paying job? i dont make a lot of money. i dont eat at fancy restaurants. my wife and i have no vehicle payments. we both refuse to live our lives seeking personal property (cars, dvds, blue ray players). we dont have brand new cars, we cant afford a big new house, and we shop clearance and goodwill racks. i guess we're poor. but wait, we live within our means, we dont spend money we dont have. so since we're not on government assistance we're rich right? im confused. maybe the poor are poor because they dont exercise self control. maybe its because they dont care. maybe its because they believe being born here is an automatic paycheck. maybe, just maybe, they should get up and get a crappy job! or quit acting like a bird on a statue waiting for some old lady to throw em something for free! its just a thought, but i guess if 18 year old men can summon the intestinal fortitude to storm the beaches during WW2 then 30 year old boys can move out of their parents houses and get jobs. if i had to use food stamps id grocery shop at 2 am hoping nobody would see me. i have my dignity, and saying that i cant take care of my family is not something im willing to say. i dont work at white castle. but if i needed a job or a second job, i would do it. at least i wouldnt be a leach on society. and yes, if you choose government money over working hard to get your own, im calling you a leach on this society. if this post bothers you, then you should also know that the truth hurts way more than a lie will.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
so, what makes me poor? lower income? lack of a high paying job? i dont make a lot of money. i dont eat at fancy restaurants. my wife and i have no vehicle payments. we both refuse to live our lives seeking personal property (cars, dvds, blue ray players). we dont have brand new cars, we cant afford a big new house, and we shop clearance and goodwill racks. i guess we're poor. but wait, we live within our means, we dont spend money we dont have. so since we're not on government assistance we're rich right? im confused. maybe the poor are poor because they dont exercise self control. maybe its because they dont care. maybe its because they believe being born here is an automatic paycheck. maybe, just maybe, they should get up and get a crappy job! or quit acting like a bird on a statue waiting for some old lady to throw em something for free! its just a thought, but i guess if 18 year old men can summon the intestinal fortitude to storm the beaches during WW2 then 30 year old boys can move out of their parents houses and get jobs. if i had to use food stamps id grocery shop at 2 am hoping nobody would see me. i have my dignity, and saying that i cant take care of my family is not something im willing to say. i dont work at white castle. but if i needed a job or a second job, i would do it. at least i wouldnt be a leach on society. and yes, if you choose government money over working hard to get your own, im calling you a leach on this society. if this post bothers you, then you should also know that the truth hurts way more than a lie will.
Your post isn't 'truth; it's just your own biased opinion. A lot of people that 'choose government money' over a job, are not employable, if they have no skills. If the welfare poor bother you so much, why not advocate for a program, that will give them the skills, to earn a living in society. That's better than ranting about how much you hate the welfare poor, which accomplishes nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates