Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,512,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
It means exactly what he said. He said, "criminals are poor." He means, "criminals are poor." He does not mean, "poor are criminals."

Therefore, "all criminals are poor, but not all poor are criminals."

Quite similar to all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
Actually, not all criminals are poor, either. The rich just cloak their crimes under a deeper facade.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,221,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, not all criminals are poor, either. The rich just cloak their crimes under a deeper facade.
Thank you!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
My point was that there more crime committed among the poor. So when someone makes the statement that criminals are poor it is true most of the time.
Your premise if false anyway!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
There are wealthy criminals, but most of the wealthy are not and their neighborhoods are safer regardless.
Wealthy people may not mug those in their neighborhoods. They just mug the taxpayers with their criminal schemes, like Goldman & Sachs did!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM

758 posts, read 1,633,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I had mentioned the same thing earlier. Though I believe that the type of crime we were taking about are different between the rich criminals and the poor criminals.

What you quoted was just my illustration of reading comprehension.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,250,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Wealthy people may not mug those in their neighborhoods. They just mug the taxpayers with their criminal schemes, like Goldman & Sachs did!
Just what crime did Goldman Sachs commit??

Goldman Sachs

Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
Quote:
I think we can all agree that crime is perpetuated by the poor at a higher rate than it is by the rich.

Which isn't to say that all poor people commit crime or that all rich people are blameless innocent virgins...but you can't be serious if you honestly don't think that most crime is perpetuated by a certain demographic.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
You have 18 years to learn enough skills to support yourself. If you are an able-bodied person of at least dull normal intelligence, over 18 and have no skills, who is responsible? I worked two jobs when I was 18 so that I could pay for an emergency that arose suddenly. It never crossed my mind to get someone else to pay for my life.

Why would it occur to anyone else that a third party is responsible for their bills?
I couldn't care less, about you bragging about your own life. Many kids from poverty-stricken families, are never told that they are capable of earning their own way in the world. And they have no hope, of escaping their situation. Many poor parents are too busy trying to put food on their table, to take the time to school their kids, in the skills that it takes to get, and hold, a job.

I think that there should be programs in all of the public schools, to teach kids about how to apply to and interview for jobs, manage their finances, invest their money, and put aside money for their futures. Every kid could benefit from such a program, and it would be esepcially important for poor kids, many of whom don't have the hope that they can ever escape their situation.

That's why I thought that you could make some constructive suggestions, as to how poor kids could be helped to get on the right path, to becoming self-sufficient. But instead, you just had to keep crowing about your own accomplishments, and keep the discussion centered on your own life.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,250,617 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less, about you bragging about your own life. Many kids from poverty-stricken families, are never told that they are capable of earning their own way in the world. And they have no hope, of escaping their situation. Many poor parents are too busy trying to put food on their table, to take the time to school their kids, in the skills that it takes to get, and hold, a job.

I think that there should be programs in all of the public schools, to teach kids about how to apply to and interview for jobs, manage their finances, invest their money, and put aside money for their futures. Every kid could benefit from such a program, and it would be esepcially important for poor kids, many of whom don't have the hope that they can ever escape their situation.

That's why I thought that you could make some constructive suggestions, as to how poor kids could be helped to get on the right path, to becoming self-sufficient. But instead, you just had to keep crowing about your own accomplishments, and keep the discussion centered on your own life.
Schools do have these programs.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think we can all agree that crime is perpetuated by the poor at a higher rate than it is by the rich.

Which isn't to say that all poor people commit crime or that all rich people are blameless innocent virgins...but you can't be serious if you honestly don't think that most crime is perpetuated by a certain demographic.
People from all walks of life, commit crimes. This thread isn't about crime anyhow. So you might want to take your discussion of crime elsewhere, or get back on topic.

Last edited by artwomyn; 03-08-2011 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates