Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,717,391 times

Advertisements

Many many horse businesses hire illegas since the pay is low and the hours long and the work hard. I have had horses at barns in the past where Mexicans were used to care for my horses and they worked very hard and I'm not immune to their plight at all, but, I feel I can no longer condone this practice anymore. I brought this up in a horse forum and I was met with great anger with people telling me it is ok since other companies do it, it is ok since our horses use shavings which contribute to global warming so hiring illegals is ok. It is ok to hire illegals since Americans get welfare to sit on their asses so it is ok to hire illegals. Are these valid excuses????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,087,312 times
Thats the most ridiculous line of reasoning I've heard in a while.
We have an enormous amount of horse farms here, and no, its not ok.
Our unemployment figures stand at 14% in this county, I am sure there are many people born in the US that would love to have the jobs on the farms.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,437,516 times
I tried to get a job on several horse farms in the valley here. I was young, strapping, and had a fair bit of experience with horses and other animals. I told them I would work for the same wages as anyone else (Mexicans). No one would hire me even though they were all 'hiring'. My guess is that they want to get away with paying under minimum. Shady business.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 AM

26,062 posts, read 22,263,896 times
Right now, the illegals are drifting into our city into the jobs once held by workers who are more than a little angry. The city south of us is very illegal friendly and had wanted a few years back to give them driver's licenses as a means of "making the roadways" safer. KS gives illegals in-state tuition rates at the colleges here but there is a bill trying to end that. This old "work that Americans won't do" has passed. These people do want the jobs. Many of those people were "laid-off" because they had worked up to a decent wage and vacation and dumping them brought savings to the company. Then the next issue becomes that you cannot get a job working at a company without the ability to speak Spanish. They are not lazy Americans, the employers are getting over by dumping workers with experience and better paid to hire people who work for less and don't ask questions. Yes, it is wrong to hire illegals for any employer.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,717,391 times
Thanks! I'm confused why so many in the horse industry are so angry at me for even bringing up hiring illegals. I would think the farms would be concerned that they could get in trouble as well

Old 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,909,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats the most ridiculous line of reasoning I've heard in a while.
We have an enormous amount of horse farms here, and no, its not ok.
Our unemployment figures stand at 14% in this county, I am sure there are many people born in the US that would love to have the jobs on the farms.

Not for $6/hour they wouldn't.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I tried to get a job on several horse farms in the valley here. I was young, strapping, and had a fair bit of experience with horses and other animals. I told them I would work for the same wages as anyone else (Mexicans). No one would hire me even though they were all 'hiring'. My guess is that they want to get away with paying under minimum. Shady business.

Or they may have considered you a flight risk - they may have thought you wouldn't stick it out as long as an undocumented worker would.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not for $6/hour they wouldn't.
I was speaking of Florida farms, and yes, they would, for min wage.
Please show me how I am mistaken in stating that.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or they may have considered you a flight risk - they may have thought you wouldn't stick it out as long as an undocumented worker would.
A "flight risk"?
For working on a horse farm?
How does that work?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I was speaking of Florida farms, and yes, they would, for min wage.
Please show me how I am mistaken in stating that.

I can't show you but I doubt Americans would work hard labor for $6/hour or whatever the undocumented are working for. If Americans would work for that pay reliably, then employers would certainly hire them and not risk the legal problems of hiring undocumented.

Maybe a teenager would for a summer job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates