Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

No, it isn't overplayed. As a teacher, I see a lot of misbehavior that goes on in schools, but the one that I absolutely HATE is bullying. I was never bullied myself, but I remember witnessing it in elementary and middle school and it infuriated me. I haven't dealt with it in my career yet, but I've said that I would do whatever I could to bring the full force of the school district and the law down on the bully--including prosecution if necessary. No one deserves harassment just for who they are--especially a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
I don't think it's overplayed at all. I sure wish something was done about it when I was a kid. I was bullied. My mother would always say to "just ignore them"...well, newsflash! Ignoring it does not make it go away! It just makes you an easier target and gives them permission to keep on continuing. I had the hardest time learning to be assertive. Sticking up for myself isn't always successful, especially if everyone's bigger than me, but at least I'll have tried and called them out on their behavior. Sometimes, that's all it takes to make them move on to an easier target. But what if you're outnumbered? Good thing for today's kids that something's being done about it!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM

152 posts, read 216,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gay kids have a right to go school and not be bullied.

The same goes for Asian kids, fat kids, handicapped kids, Jewish kids, African American kids, nerdy kids ... what have you.

The topic is about bullying. Nobody is saying that you have be friends or admire a particular student, but that school is for learning ... and in my view it is not okay for a student to be subjected to force, intimidation, ridicule, torment, humiliation and/or abuse.
I agree with you 100%. No child should be bullied or made fun of.

My point in that prior post was that, as you also said, "the topic is about bullying." Or at least it's supposed to be "about bullying."

Unfortunately, some school districts are using these anti-bullying programs to also introduce curricula and books into their schools that promote and try to 'normalize' same-sex marriage, the homosexual lifestyle, cross dressing, transgender and bi-sexual individuals.

And anyone that might be opposed to their lifestyle choices are simply bigots.

That is what I have a problem with.

Teaching my children how bullying is wrong, is fine. But don't try to teach my 3rd grade child that two men having anal sex is "normal."

Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
I agree with you 100%. No child should be bullied or made fun of.

My point in that prior post was that, as you also said, "the topic is about bullying." Or at least it's supposed to be "about bullying."

Unfortunately, some school districts are using these anti-bullying programs to also introduce curricula and books into their schools that promote and try to 'normalize' same-sex marriage, the homosexual lifestyle, cross dressing, transgender and bi-sexual individuals.

And anyone that might be opposed to their lifestyle choices are simply bigots.

That is what I have a problem with.

Teaching my children how bullying is wrong, is fine. But don't try to teach my 3rd grade child that two men having anal sex is "normal."
I agree.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
The best way to deal with a bully is to beat the crap out of them. Unfortunately, the growth of "zero tolerance" policies by the progressives has made this impossible.

I was once bullied; me, my friends, and my parents complained left and right to practically every teacher and school administrator up and including the school district superintendent and they would no half assed things like tell the bullies "oh no you can't bully people, it's not nice!" and give them in school suspension which was useless since they never attended classes anyways. So one day I punched the one kid in the face and guess who got out of school suspension for two weeks ... me! It took the involvement of a family friend who happened to be a member of the town council to get my suspension revoked. Utter bull****. Zero tolerance dident seem to apply to them when it was just words, but of course it suddenly applied when I resolved the problem with violence. Never mind the fact that my parents made phone call after phone call to stop it before it got to that point. This was all in the very late 1990s/early 2000s when I was in middle school.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM

218 posts, read 455,183 times
Kids today have it so much more rough than older generations. Now the taunting is on the internet for not old people at their school to see but at other schools as well. I love the IT GETS BETTER campaign. If you have a child in your life, let them know you love them and value their existence, and life without them would suck. My little sister, who is hilarious (a lot like Gilda Radner), was taunted a lot, the kids didn't know how to take her crazy antics. Fortunately she was able to chalk it up to, "Those kids just don't know what's funny."

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Is the recent anti-bullying movement overplayed?
I'd have to say, Yup. Its pretty pathetic IMHO.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, it isn't overplayed. As a teacher, I see a lot of misbehavior that goes on in schools, but the one that I absolutely HATE is bullying. I was never bullied myself, but I remember witnessing it in elementary and middle school and it infuriated me. I haven't dealt with it in my career yet, but I've said that I would do whatever I could to bring the full force of the school district and the law down on the bully--including prosecution if necessary. No one deserves harassment just for who they are--especially a child.

Disliking it is normal. But the truth is that you made it fine even with being ullied, might have even helped you learn to cope. Its part of growing up & has been going on since before we could speak. Its not going to go away & teaching kids anything besides learning to cope & stick up for themselves is simply irresponsible. What happens when that kid grows up & runs into somebody who plays with the natural rules? Bullying is wrong & should be punished, but theres no need for a crusade like we see. Whats going to happen is alot of kids are going to be stigmatized for acting like kids.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I definitely believe the anti-bullying thing has gone too far. Especially the argument for suicide perpetrators. You can't stop people from killing themselves. They would have done that whether they were bullied by someone or couldn't handle a particular stress of life. That's why I don't understand why all these campaigns and things are coming out talking about "Stop bullying". How exactly is it going to stop? Bullying is apart of human nature and it won't ever just go away because we want it to. What I really can't comprehend is how that sales-pitch is being sold to gay high school students. Gays, like everyone else in society are going to have to deal with alot of crap in life outside of high school. Just because your school and Hollywood wants to end bullying, it's not going to end there. In the real world, your going to deal with some pretty mean and nasty people. And that's not exclusive to the U.S. If you travel outside the country like I have, your going to be exposed to a different mindset and cultural value distinct from ours and sometimes that may be extremely homophobic. It's not something you can help. And that's the way it is for everyone really. I've been discriminated against by skin color and nationality in the past plenty of times. But I know that it was because of someone else's ignorance. But I don't make a big deal about it because I know that there's going to be people in the world that don't like me because of it and there's nothing I can do to change their mindset.

The Anti-bullying campaign has accomplished nothing in my mind. I was bullied when I was younger ALOT but I never complained to ABC and Hollywood about it. I dealt with it like boys generations before me did. I learned to fight and move on with my life. I think this upcoming generation of kids are becoming quite the wusses. Their buying into the PC crowd and thinking that everything is so black and white but it couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't know how most of these kids are going to survive into the future. I never thought I'd see the day when children have to film themselves beating up a bully and put it on the internet for recognition and applause. To me, that is such pansy behavior. When I was a kid, we would fight after school and that'd be the end of it. Now they whip out their flip video cameras and put it on the internet and grown adults are cheering on their behavior like it's a +1 for anti-bullying. Come on.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
It's all very simple, really ...

Take out the bully and there will be no more bullying. This namby-pamby "get in touch with your feelings" crap, the labeling, the think-tanks spending time and money are all leading to the wussification of this country.

Hit back, hit back hard, and the bullying will cease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates