Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

I would say from personal experience that bullying has been pretty bad. However, the internet, especially facebook has made bullying bit more "out there". I remember in the 7th grade a rumor was spread about me. It got around in 1 day. This happened in sometime in January 1999. I didn't have the internet. If facebook had existed in 1999, it would have gotten around in under and hour and gotten to more people.
When I was in high school, I suffered from bullying. I got jumped in the classroom. Someone tried to beat me up while I was trying to re-take a test. I won't tell much more. Because of the teasing and some of the racial tensions in the school, I was somewhat disheveled and unhappy. Facebook didn't exist until the last semester of my senior year(February 2004), and it was limited to Harvard at the time. If facebook had been launched earlier and made available to high school students, including me, I would have been a bigger wreck than I already was. And knowing myself, I would have been meaner. The difference between bullying in the 1990's-early 2000's and today is that facebook didn't exist. Social networks were not the thing. Email was just getting big. I myself never had an email address until 2000(Yahoo!) and never used AOL for an email until last year, and I still don't use AIM. Bullying was less sophisticated and stalking involved phone calls and going over to the person's house and watching them. Today, it involves facebook. In 1999, if someone wanted to spread a rumor, you made phone calls, you told your friends, your friends told other people. It took time. Today you just send a message to hundreds of people, you put up a status for hundreds of people to see, including people from other high schools. If I screwed up at one high school in 2000, I could go to the next high school nearby. Today, if that happens to a high school kid, it could be known in the district. Cyberbullying is what is sort of new. That is the only thing new about bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
No, there needs to be more anti-bullying, not less. My workplace is the prime example of unprofessionalism and there are days when I don't know where it will come from next and we're all adults! Somebody has to say when pretty soon. Besides do unto others, a lot of the behaviors that are classified as bullying are counterproductive, unprofessional and do nobody any good but the bullies themselves. If they don't want to work for a living get them out of there! But then of course my tax money would just pay for them to keep taking up space on the planet...

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,014 times
I wonder what reality people were living in where they punch their bully in the face once or twice and never have a problem with them again. When I was in middle school, I was bullied by a ton of people on a near-constant basis, and I would always fight back and beat the crap out of them, and sometimes I'd do underhanded stuff pretend to fall to the ground so that I could grab a handful of sand for an eye attack, just to let them know I meant business, but it never helped. If anything, it made them more violent and bothersome, and after they recovered, they would sic their friends (and their friends' friends, etc) on me too. You'd think people would know better than to keep messing with someone who was strong enough to grab their shirt and lift them off of their feet while simultaneously throwing them against the wall, but I guess not. This continued all throughout high school of course, eventually reaching the point where I simply quit school to get away from it.

Maybe it was just a southern thing. I am the only one who ever got in trouble for it, of course.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Bullying has always been a problem, I don't know why it took so long for it to gain national attention, but I'm glad it has. Nearly everyone I know has experienced bullying as a child (either as the victim or the perp), and it definitely shapes personalities, egos, and lives. I think we should be careful not to villify bullies though, and instead have a sense of compassion towards them. Children who bully are just trying to regain a sense of control in their own lives, or may be acting in defense to a perceived attack. But yes, I'm glad it's being paid attention to - it's about time.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM

521 posts, read 860,206 times
The main difference between now and back when most of us were kids is that now there are more outlets to bully someone.

Before the internet and cellphones bullying was something someone had to endure usually only at school. Now, someone has your email address, facebook page, or phone number? There is absolutely no way to escape it like some of us could in the past.

This is why it's being brought to everyone's attention now as opposed to when bullying was actually escapable.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Agree with everyone else...there are more means to bully these days and kids and people in general have become a lot crueler than a decade or so ago.

I was bullied throughout school and the effects stay with you for life and destroy your self-esteem. Even to this day, I am still afraid of children and teenagers despite being physically big and very much able to defend myself physically. I don't even think I want children because of what I went through.

So I'm all for any efforts to try to prevent it, especially in this day and age.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
I was walking my dog about 8AM in a park located near a school. I was surprised to see hundreds of cars line up from the school back down the road as far as I could see. There were a few school buses in this traffic mess and to my surprise appeared to have only a few students aboard. When I got to a corner there was a school crossing guard. I asked her what was going on. She said it was a typical morning with all the parents bringing there kids to school. I asked why the school buses were so empty. She told me the reason was because the school buses were transporting the bullies and the parents of other children refused to put their children in that situation.

I found this very interesting that at this school the adults had surrendered to the child bullies. Getting an education should be a top priority and a privilege. Children who bully should be suspended immediately and there should also be a three strike rule. Three suspensions and a child is expelled permanently. That will force the parent to pay for private school or deal with home schooling. After a while parents will get it across to their children that bullying will not be tolerated.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
Not at all. Bullying, with the advent of social media and networking, has evolved into something far worse than what it used to be. Bullying is never ok, and I am disgusted at people who think that bullying is just part of growing up, or an aspect of "toughening up" kids.

Though whenever there is a story about bullying on a news website or facebook page, there will always be some dunce who will write something to the extent of "Our culture is sissifying! Everyone must be a winner!" No, that is a red herring argument.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Not at all. Bullying, with the advent of social media and networking, has evolved into something far worse than what it used to be. Bullying is never ok, and I am disgusted at people who think that bullying is just part of growing up, or an aspect of "toughening up" kids.

Though whenever there is a story about bullying on a news website or facebook page, there will always be some dunce who will write something to the extent of "Our culture is sissifying! Everyone must be a winner!" No, that is a red herring argument.
+10 Gatsby. it cannot be given too much attention. what's interesting is: i've found that in the work world there was a tremendous reduction in bullying versus high school and middle school. like a 95 percent reduction (and ive worked in several companies). not sure why this is (and it's a good thing of course) but if we could somehow apply that vibe/culture to high school and middle school etc it would be good for america

Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
I don't think it's overplayed at all. See the attached link for statistics about the link between suicides and bullying. For those who think it's overplayed, I really hope you will take the time to scan this link. Now I do understand that some students may react different to bullying, but the loss of one young life due to bullying is too much.

Bullying and Suicide - Bullying Statistics

Then take the time to look at this link. Rachel Scott was the first teenager killed at Columbine by students who were victims of bullying. Bullying is much more than punching it out on the playground. I hope this changes your mind.

Rachel's Challenge - In Memory of Rachel Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates