Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times

Advertisements

Verbal bullying and physical bullying are two different things.

Neither should tolerated, nor condoned. However, if we raise our children to let whatever people say about them affect them, we do them a great injustice in that they will potentially seek out positive feedback from people all the time.

Have you seen the percentage of social media posts that kids (those under 18) post? Most of that stuff we KNEW better than to discuss. But, they seek validation through online social media sites. Things like: "Yeah, today was a bad day... I must be the dumbest kid in school" where they NEED almost 1/2 of their 500+ "friends" to respond how great they are, or they take it to heart what they posted.

Why were earlier generations able to survive bullying without suicide rates near where they are today? I know cyber-bullying or bullying through social media sites is bad, but only if we continue to allow our kids to place the input of others (again, "friends") over our inputs, or their own self worth.

Ask any child today what "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" means... it means more than it does on the surface. I have time and time again reinforced to my kids that the only voices that should matter to them at ALL are those from the people that they respect say, and from those that have nothing to gain by what they say (normally family and REAL friends).

Bullying is wrong in all it's many ugly faces... but it's no excuse for bad parenting and not taking the time to help children understand and filter the difference between idiots trying to hurt you and true input from someone that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates