Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I'm still for a flat tax for everyone.. the same rate whether you work or not; are rich or poor..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
There would be ZERO way to prove how much someone worked.
And then you would have to define 'work.' Is work 'thinking' about the product? Planning? Actually being out there on foot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I agree, too. EVERYONE should pay something....but dollar for dollar, the ratio of tax should be the same for everyone.

OR....get ride of "income tax" all together and institute a National Sales Tax....NOT a "VAT"! You only pay tax if you buy something! Those with lots of money will be buying more expensive stuff (generally speaking), so they would naturally pay more. But, all the other IRS taxes would have to be canned.....can't add more tax on top of what we already pay.
This is more of a philosophical question but let's assume there exists a 100% accurate and fool-proof way to verify how much work you've done (let's say God or whoever knows.)

Obviously, this isn't reality. But suppose it is, then what would you think of the philosophy of taxing people who work more hours at a lower rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM

112 posts, read 144,642 times
the OP's theory would be a great way of turning the poor into slaves.

bravo! (not)

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
So would all those whose only income is some form of welfare be taxed 100?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 931 times
I work a 100+ hour week. Not consistently, but usually.

I live in the UK and work as an agency nurse. The work is hard and grueling but I enjoy it. It pays quite well, but as my total anual earnings reach £40,000 - my tax bracket is 40% instead of the standard rate of 20%.

I have little to show for it as I pay for most of my family and have huge debts to wipe out (with equally extortionate interest rates)

I havent been on holiday in the last 10 years and I rarely buy much for myself or my home. I drive a 1litre 12 year old car.

In our current system - it is deemed both fair and legal to tax somone more even though they are essentially workibg 2+ full time Jobs to earn this kind of money.

I cost no more for the government to keep than the next person. Yet I'm charged with contributing the most!

What do you think? Fair system we live in right???

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
It seems everyone has a "great idea" for a new taxing formula as long as they pay less.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpriceis View Post

I live in the UK and work as an agency nurse. The work is hard and grueling but I enjoy it. It pays quite well, but as my total anual earnings reach £40,000 - my tax bracket is 40% instead of the standard rate of 20%.

I have little to show for it as I pay for most of my family and have huge debts to wipe out (with equally extortionate interest rates)

I havent been on holiday in the last 10 years and I rarely buy much for myself or my home. I drive a 1litre 12 year old car.

In our current system - it is deemed both fair and legal to tax somone more even though they are essentially workibg 2+ full time Jobs to earn this kind of money.

I cost no more for the government to keep than the next person. Yet I'm charged with contributing the most!

I'll bet the vast majority of people who claim to work over 100 hours a week do not.
You must be the exception ?????????????

Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpriceis View Post

Holy crap on a cracker! You work 100 hours a week at a grueling job that requires a post secondary degree and only make the equivalent to $65,000? You think this is being paid "quite well"? AND you are taxed at 40%?

The cost of living must be cheap in the UK.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 AM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Taxing people who are only working part-time at the highest rate would make the smallest paychecks even smaller, pushing even the most prideful holdouts onto public assistance if part-time work was all they could get. It would also inflate the number of people not wanting to work at all, because if the alternative was part-time work they would definitely get more value having zero income and collecting the maximum range of available welfare program dollars. Remember...the jobs with the fewest number of allocated hours per employee tend to pay the least.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Well the Beatles did write Taxman to protest British taxes.

I think a flat tax would work well in theory. But I think there are a lot of politics behind taxes. I say if you accept public assistance, you should not be allowed to vote. You'd just keep voting in those who want to give you handouts anyway. Clear conflict of interest.

Why is that relevant to this conversation? Because the handout money doesn't just come from no where, it's tax money, it's my tax money!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Well the Beatles did write Taxman to protest British taxes.

I think a flat tax would work well in theory. But I think there are a lot of politics behind taxes. I say if you accept public assistance, you should not be allowed to vote. You'd just keep voting in those who want to give you handouts anyway. Clear conflict of interest.

Why is that relevant to this conversation? Because the handout money doesn't just come from no where, it's tax money, it's my tax money!
Well the idea of voting is to vote for people who will best represent you, your values and your situation. Why don't you say that business owners, executives and lobbyists shouldn't be allowed to vote because they'll just vote for people who will make laws in the best interest of their businesses? Clear conflict of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates