Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,254,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I think people who buy/adopt or are given dogs and lock them up on chains or confine them daily in fenced pens without medication for heartworm, fleas, ticks, rabies, and seldom interact with them are the cruelest of all people.

Most of them would never treat their children like that, so why do they think it's *OK* to mistreat pets by jailing them to a chain or pen all their lives??

I've seen such a dramatic difference in pets loved and cared for by owners vs those that aren't. The ones cared for have personalities and behaviors like children; those left uncared for are like social deviants who've never known love and affection.

I'm thinking people should be licensed in order to have pets.
Good question.
I occasionally pass by a home on my village south end, and always, always is a black lab locked in a metal cage.
Don't know if the owners keep it there full time, or whenever I pass by, it just happens to be there.

I will say this though, how can anyone who loves a domesticated animal, dog or cat, keep it chained or caged all of the time.
Where's the love these animals can give back to humans, none other than being locked away.

Horses are pets too, and I've seen owners of horses treat them like one of the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,885,975 times
I really think that any dog that is chained up outside should be taken away, your exposing him to the elements of outside.
Flees, ticks,weather,etc.

I personally don't like dogs and own a cat, so my cat always stays in,and she never wants to leave anyhow.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM

757 posts, read 1,330,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think possibly you have been a bit exaggerated in your post about the cruelty assignment, as long as the pet is being given food, water, and shelter it is a darned sight better than outright cruelty. (For real cruelty, try working in a shelter for any amount of time -- the stories you hear will give you a greater understanding of how sick and cruel people can be.)

I believe half of our population is against bigger government, so adding to the legislature about pet ownership and its enforcement is a bit overly optimistic. However, I see nothing wrong with some good old fashioned community involvement.

If you feel strongly about the humane treatment of animals in your community, why not devote some time to gathering together others that feel the same, and drawing up some action plans to educate pet owners about what is socially acceptable for responsible pet owners.

In other words, be part of the solution, instead of expecting someone else to do something.
Indeed. And as Albert Einstein said,

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein

Step up in your community and participate. I agree 100% Lookin.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM

638 posts, read 1,596,951 times
To Mayberry and Social Pit: I've worked for years with our local humane society. It's very depressing and sad. This post was referring to "normal" intelligent, average folks who should know better. That's where it begins. That and training children to respect animals. If you can't treat them as you would your own child, you shouldn't have them.

Your replies ASS-ummed otherwise; I felt like I was getting a wop on the head for being such a stupid person. Like, Gee, why didn't I think of that??

Practice what you preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates