Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times

Advertisements

For example Huntington's disease is an absolutely devastating and horrible condition. What makes it worse also is that it is an autosomal dominant defect, meaning you only need one copy from one afflicted parent (not two).

Should someone with Huntington's disease be allowed to procreate and have kids that can suffer the same horrific consequence as them with a condition that has no cure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
I think that someone with Huntingtons disease would probably want to take the precautions to prevent passing the disease on to their child, I doubt that anyone would "knowingly" do that. I don't believe that there should ever be any kind of restrictions, prerequisites, or any other criteria to be met before anyone should be "allowed" to procreate....just the word "allowing" gives me the shivers.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,053 times
People gentetic diseases should not be allowed to procreate. I'm probably unpopular when saying this but why would you want to have children with such a terrible disease?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't believe that there should ever be any kind of restrictions, prerequisites, or any other criteria to be met before anyone should be "allowed" to procreate.
On the contrary, I see many people on a daily basis that should fall into that catagory.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 AM

242 posts, read 350,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think that someone with Huntingtons disease would probably want to take the precautions to prevent passing the disease on to their child, I doubt that anyone would "knowingly" do that. I don't believe that there should ever be any kind of restrictions, prerequisites, or any other criteria to be met before anyone should be "allowed" to procreate....just the word "allowing" gives me the shivers.
Well said, Purehuman - I agree 100%.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I think we need to leave that up to individuals to decide for themselves. These are very personal decisions, not something that should be open for all to debate, IMO. That said, most people would not bring a child into this world only to suffer. And not all terrible diseases autmatically equal no quality of life.

If "society" starts to ban people who carry certain undesirable genes (for Alzheimers, cancer, Parkinsons, MS, whatever) from reproducing, the human race would die off pretty quickly....

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
For example Huntington's disease is an absolutely devastating and horrible condition. What makes it worse also is that it is an autosomal dominant defect, meaning you only need one copy from one afflicted parent (not two).

Should someone with Huntington's disease be allowed to procreate and have kids that can suffer the same horrific consequence as them with a condition that has no cure?
I think genetic counseling should be available to people with Huntington's in the family, and they should be strongly encouraged to use IVF, donor sperm/eggs, or to adopt. Encouraged. Not required. And I believe insurance should pay for it in those instances, since it's probably cheaper to fund 2-3 rounds of IVF than it is to care for a Huntington's patient in the throes of the disease. It doesn't kill overnight, and kills in the prime of life.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

If one parent has the gene for Huntingtons and one parent does not have the gene - there would be a 50/50 chance of the gene being passed on to their child. So it's not set in stone that their offspring would ever have to deal with the disease.

I agree that amnio, genetic counseling, etc should be available to these parents - if they want it. If they don't want to risk passing the gene to their offspring - IVF, adoption are always good options.

But again, nobody has perfect genes. The couple that adopts to avoid passing along the Huntington's disease gene might wind up with a child who will be incapacitated by a heart attack/stroke at 35. With life, there just aren't any guarantees.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If one parent has the gene for Huntingtons and one parent does not have the gene - there would be a 50/50 chance of the gene being passed on to their child. So it's not set in stone that their offspring would ever have to deal with the disease.

I agree that amnio, genetic counseling, etc should be available to these parents - if they want it. If they don't want to risk passing the gene to their offspring - IVF, adoption are always good options.

But again, nobody has perfect genes. The couple that adopts to avoid passing along the Huntington's disease gene might wind up with a child who will be incapacitated by a heart attack/stroke at 35. With life, there just aren't any guarantees.
Yes but there is risk management concerning genetic offspring.
If one would have statistical data either confirming or denying a person or couple's chances of conceiving a child with debilitating and or life shortening conditions then they would be able to make a true educated decision.

If there is statistical data showing a significant chance of disease of offspring and the parties involved ignore the data provided then that, in my opinion would be gross irresponsibility on their part.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Yes but there is risk management concerning genetic offspring.
If one would have statistical data either confirming or denying a person or couple's chances of conceiving a child with debilitating and or life shortening conditions then they would be able to make a true educated decision.

If there is statistical data showing a significant chance of disease of offspring and the parties involved ignore the data provided then that, in my opinion would be gross irresponsibility on their part.
I suppose it boils down to risk tolerance. The couple has a 50 percent chance of not passing the gene on to their offspring. And that chance can be mitigated even further through amnio/genetic testing - they can opt to selectively terminate. But selective termination is actually much trickier ground IMO - I am not comfortable with it myself - although it is not new ground. But in terms of risk mitigation - it is possible to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates