Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

My own question here is this: Would you support giving a child support opt-out to men if the women that they had sex with promised (as in, this promise can be proven) to get an abortion in the event of an unplanned pregnancy and lied or changed their minds in regards to this later on? In such a scenario, all other men will be forced to pay child support. Also, all men who will get a child support opt-out in this scenario will give up all of their parental rights and be required to avoid all contact with these children of theirs at least until their children will reach age 18.

As for me, my own response to this question is Yes. Why? Because in such a scenario, I see such a man is being no more responsible for the existence of an actual child (as opposed to a zygote) than I would be if I loaned someone my baseball bat and then found out that this individual unexpectedly beat several people to death with this baseball bat of mine. After all, in both of these cases, another person made a decision which is different to the decision that one expected that he or she would make.

As for taxpayer money, if it's fair game to use taxpayer money to help financially support the families of the beating victims in the my scenario with the baseball bat above, then it's fair game to use taxpayer money to help take care of these men's children as well. Plus, can't taxpayer money also be used to help financially support the children that single women have with the help of sperm donors? If so, then I would like to point out that the men in this scenario of mine should simply be considered to be non-anonymous sperm donors.

Also, if a woman who doesn't like both abortion and adoption has a problem with my idea here, then she can avoid having sex with men who are personally okay with opting-out of paying child support and/or avoid promising to get an abortion in the event of an unplanned pregnancy. Indeed, doing this should ensure that there wouldn't be very many needy children who will need to be supported by the government and the taxpayers in such a scenario.

In addition to this, no non-drastic method of contraception and sterilization is incapable of ever failing. Also, telling male-bodied people to abstain from penis-in-vagina sex for the rest of their lives is no more acceptable for them than it is for female-bodied people when pro-lifers give them this exact same advice. Indeed, I myself would strongly prefer to become a (literal) eunuch than to abstain from penis-in-vagina sex with all fertile and potentially fertile women for the rest of my life. Seriously--after all, it is certainly better than losing a lot of money and getting sluut-shamed, including by various people on this specific forum.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:13 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
No. I warned my sons early on--doesn't matter what the woman says ahead of time.
If you don't want to be part of that equation, don't join in.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
A male who doesn't want a pregnancy? Get a vasectomy.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A male who doesn't want a pregnancy? Get a vasectomy.
Vasectomies can and sometimes do fail, though.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
If you don't want to be part of that equation, don't join in.
Pro-lifers can say the same thing to female-bodied people who never want to risk being forced to carry an unplanned pregnancy to term, though.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
It should be, not married = no child support.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
It should be, not married = no child support.
I honestly can't tell if you are being serious or joking here.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
The time to "opt-out" is before you take your shorts off, not after. Have you considered using prostitutes? That could be a cheaper option in the long run. You're interested in basically contracting for sexual favors with no responsibility after the fact.

And, I know that no guy ever promised to marry a woman if she got pregnant when they were having sex and then backed out of it when a pregnancy resulted. Yeah, sort of "buyer beware".

Please, parents, tell your children, both your sons and daughters about the risk of pregnancy from having sex and how someone, in the heat of the moment, might say something that they don't mean. They may lie about their age, STDs, what they would do in case of pregnancy, birth control, marital status.............

Yeah, we're going to agree to letting birth fathers "opt-out" of child support for the babies they create? I don't care what the deal was, I vote "No!"

Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The time to "opt-out" is before you take your shorts off, not after.
Pro-lifers can tell the same thing to female-bodied people who never want to risk being forced to carry an unplanned pregnancy to term, though.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Pro-lifers can tell the same thing to female-bodied people who never want to risk being forced to carry an unplanned pregnancy to term, though.
And, I do. Life begins at conception. You know it takes two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates