Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

I wonder if we could make prisoners net producers rather than net consumers. Put them to work. Pick crops, pull weeds, etc. We might not get in the black but maybe we could significantly cut down the cost per prisoner. Plus, the positive environment, though menial, might "flip the switch" in their heads to the extent that they might take a more constructive approach to life.

Don't we have hundreds of thousands of people in prison? From an economic model, couldn't we look at this as untapped human resources? (The Nazis viewed prisoners this way.)

Plus, might this make the US less dependent on illegal aliens and potentially kill two birds with one stone?

I snapped this photo of Madison County Jail dudes picking up trash on 431 between Big Cove and Huntsville Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
It's been tried in many and in a number of cases, labor unions have successfully sued to keep jail and prison labor off the streets. They maintain that it's taking jobs away from "real" people. Most unfortunately, "progressive" judges/courts have backed them up.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's been tried in many and in a number of cases, labor unions have successfully sued to keep jail and prison labor off the streets. They maintain that it's taking jobs away from "real" people. Most unfortunately, "progressive" judges/courts have backed them up.

I figured it was something like that or liability issues or ACLU or something. It also might be a simple economic failure in that it might cost more to monitor them working, transported them, etc than it would be to just let them sit in cells.

Still, some communities are doing it (above in Huntsville); they make it work. If one community can do it, why can't all communities do it? How does Huntsville pull it off? Different laws there?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I figured it was something like that or liability issues or ACLU or something. It also might be a simple economic failure in that it might cost more to monitor them working, transported them, etc than it would be to just let them sit in cells.

Still, some communities are doing it (above in Huntsville); they make it work. If one community can do it, why can't all communities do it? How does Huntsville pull it off? Different laws there?
Right to Work state! That helps. So does being a compaatively conservative state. Judges want to get reelected!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
San Pedro prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
San Pedro prison or El penal de San Pedro is the largest prison in La Paz, Bolivia renowned for being a society within itself. Significantly different from most correctional facilities, inmates at San Pedro have jobs inside the community, buy or rent their accommodation, and often live with their families. The sale of cocaine base to visiting tourists gives those inside a significant income and an unusual amount of freedom within the prison walls. Elected leaders enforce the laws of the community, with stabbings being commonplace. The prison is home to approximately 1,500 inmates (not including the women and children that live inside the walls with their convicted husbands), with additional guests staying in the prison hotel

With some...ahem...minor tweaks something like this would seem to have value

Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
I am not sure how anyone can say work is cruel and unusual punishment when the majority of us do it every day.
Of course there would have to be safeguards to insure inmate labor was not being made into an industry that was facilitating the arrest and conviction of people falsely to provide labor. I can see where there would be a motive for abuse. It would need to be monitored.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 PM

408 posts, read 607,356 times
I totally agree with the basic premise of putting inmates to work. Understand the difficulties relative to putting such a system in place.

Example: you decide to put an inmate to work. He says no.

what do you do? Beat him? Not allowed.

Offer to pay him? He's already costing the state. His balance with the state will remain below zero. Besides, where will he spend the money.

Offer a reduced sentence? Many will argue this would equate trading safety for finanical savings.

Many incentive-based systems do exist, though I doubt they even put a dent in the cost of keeping up prisons and their population.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
It happens many States, with the "chain gangs." The problem is some escape. Hopefully it is confined to nonviolent offenders. And of course many prisoners work in the laundry room and cleanup. I do have a problem when prison labor competes with private enterprise.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
1st step, before you put any of them to work, is remove one third our inmates who are in prison for drug offenses, and let them find employment and pay taxes.

I live in Las Vegas with an unofficial unemployment rate of 23%. That idea would go over real well in this city, as the inmates in Nevada are already allowed to build mattresses for the hotels here!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
I totally agree with the basic premise of putting inmates to work. Understand the difficulties relative to putting such a system in place.

Example: you decide to put an inmate to work. He says no.

what do you do? Beat him? Not allowed.

Offer to pay him? He's already costing the state. His balance with the state will remain below zero. Besides, where will he spend the money.

Offer a reduced sentence? Many will argue this would equate trading safety for finanical savings.

Many incentive-based systems do exist, though I doubt they even put a dent in the cost of keeping up prisons and their population.
Pay him either nothing or a meager wage to buy treats in jail, things like candy, CDs, cigarettes, internet use....it wouldn't be hard to be creative.

Yes, if he works diligently, it could be used to reduce sentence.

No, don't beat him. Prison labor would be a carrot, an opportunity, not a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates