Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,692,698 times

Advertisements

If you're one of the 99's than you're a welfare abuser, but if you're in the 1% you're just taking advantage of what you are suppose to get from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,867,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You know what? I better not ever READ on here that either you or your wife used MEDICARE or tried to get DISABILITY or SOCIAL SECURITY for anything in the future.

Just like FOODSTAMPS, the above are ENTITLEMENT or HANDOUTS as you would call them.

The only thing you're eligible to receive is a PENSION or RETIREMENT FUND that YOU paid into.

Remember that.
If you're employed, or have ever been employed, you should have noticed on your pay stub the entries for certain deductions. Those deductions are for Social Security and for Medicare. I have worked since I was 14 and only ended my working years at age 65, when the company I worked for filed for reorganization and moved our facility out of the area. During those years, I paid into the Social Security fund and the Medicare fund. My late hubs also worked and paid into those funds. Thus, we are (he was) eligible to collect SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE benefits. Benefits we earned through our employment. Along with those deductions, there were also my contributions to federal and state and local income taxes. Those taxes help to pay for ENTITLEMENTS. HANDOUTS if you will. Taken from those who work to earn money and used in part to help pay for those who for whatever reason are not working.

And when the benefits kick in for those of us who worked to pay for them, we aren't finished paying. MEDICARE for instance, requires a deduction from the SOCIAL SECURITY check and yet doesn't cover ALL of the medical expenses of the elderly. We either pay extra for a supplemental policy to cover the balances that remain after Medicare pays its share, or if we can qualify, then Medical Assistance will help with those balances. (I, myself, am a payor).

If you believe that SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE are entitlements, you are encouraged to look closely at the deductions on your paycheck. If you have one.

I have no quarrel with those who need and receive public assistance. But there is a difference in what one works for and what one just "collects".

Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM

25,384 posts, read 21,595,925 times
IF all states would require welfare recipients to pass a drug test like those of us who go out and find a job, the lines would decrease. I have seen many young couples on welfare with children because when they go for a job drug screening, they can't pass it. I don't think they go home in tears when they find out they don't have to get up and go to work in the morning. Generally, I would see them coming back with a sack of McDonald's at about 10:00 AM in the morning, about 5 hours after others left for their jobs. We just moved from a county that had a poverty rate of almost 20% and signs up in front of businesses paying more than minimum wage saying "Help Wanted"! When the welfare check runs out, they show up at the free food pantry and the kids are getting free breakfast and lunch at school. I have seen the store checkers take up to 3 of the welfare debit cards to pay for a purchase. Many of these people also work for cash on the side and/or steal, usually metal items to cash in at the recycling business for drugs. To say this is limited to women would be very wrong. Alcohol abuse is just as common as drug abuse and although programs exist to help them kick the habit, the lack of work ethic prevails. And, on Wal-Mart, it is not uncommon that they shoplift items and return them but without the receipt, there is a monthly limit though on how much they can return. They also return the items that the church issues the children for Christmas. Give me a break about the poor welfare and how hard it must be. I can tell you that I did the math and the people working in the lower cost area where we lived for the most part only did it because of their personal integrity because the deal the others got with welfare was pretty darn good! It is an education to see poverty and the people and dynamics in play. It is not like what you think.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,837,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
IF all states would require welfare recipients to pass a drug test like those of us who go out and find a job, the lines would decrease.
Required drug tests for people seeking welfare benefits ended up costing taxpayers more than it saved and failed to curb the number of prospective applicants, data used against the state in an ongoing legal battle shows.

The findings — that only 108 of the 4,086 people who took a drug test failed — are additional ammunition for the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, which sued the state and won a temporary ban on the drug-testing program in October, said ACLU spokesman Derek Newton.
Read more here: Florida's welfare drug tests cost more money than state saves, data shows - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,967,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If you're employed, or have ever been employed, you should have noticed on your pay stub the entries for certain deductions. Those deductions are for Social Security and for Medicare. I have worked since I was 14 and only ended my working years at age 65, when the company I worked for filed for reorganization and moved our facility out of the area. During those years, I paid into the Social Security fund and the Medicare fund. My late hubs also worked and paid into those funds. Thus, we are (he was) eligible to collect SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE benefits. Benefits we earned through our employment. Along with those deductions, there were also my contributions to federal and state and local income taxes. Those taxes help to pay for ENTITLEMENTS. HANDOUTS if you will. Taken from those who work to earn money and used in part to help pay for those who for whatever reason are not working.
You and your husband didn't pay enough in either fund to pay for you to live on for the rest of your lives. If your surgery is $80,000, then I'm sure neither one of you paid that much into Medicare over your working lives. It's TAXPAYER money like MINE that is helping to fund your healthcare and your living expenses.

If you retired at 65 and live until you're 90, your SSA and MEDICARE is being paid by ME and OTHERS still working.

So YES, you ARE getting HANDOUTS. If you were getting a pension or a private IRA account, then that's YOUR money to last for as long as you need it.

Quote:
And when the benefits kick in for those of us who worked to pay for them, we aren't finished paying. MEDICARE for instance, requires a deduction from the SOCIAL SECURITY check and yet doesn't cover ALL of the medical expenses of the elderly. We either pay extra for a supplemental policy to cover the balances that remain after Medicare pays its share, or if we can qualify, then Medical Assistance will help with those balances. (I, myself, am a payor).
These are HANDOUTS. If the government has anything to do with it, then you are receiving an ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM.

Quote:
If you believe that SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE are entitlements, you are encouraged to look closely at the deductions on your paycheck. If you have one.
I have seen my paycheck being deducted for more and more crap over the years.

Quote:
I have no quarrel with those who need and receive public assistance. But there is a difference in what one works for and what one just "collects".
I will agree with you on the highlighted only.

Since the recession, there are people treating the unemployed as "welfare" recipients, because they are collecting something they paid into "Unemployment Insurance".

With all the taxes I've paid throughout my working life, I expect to get PUBLIC AID when I apply for it. I don't want to jump through hoops either.

Like you, I also believe it should be used as a temporary situation. As of now, 1 in 7 Americans are on foodstamps and millions are living a life of homelessness.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
IF all states would require welfare recipients to pass a drug test like those of us who go out and find a job, the lines would decrease. I have seen many young couples on welfare with children because when they go for a job drug screening, they can't pass it. I don't think they go home in tears when they find out they don't have to get up and go to work in the morning. Generally, I would see them coming back with a sack of McDonald's at about 10:00 AM in the morning, about 5 hours after others left for their jobs. We just moved from a county that had a poverty rate of almost 20% and signs up in front of businesses paying more than minimum wage saying "Help Wanted"! When the welfare check runs out, they show up at the free food pantry and the kids are getting free breakfast and lunch at school. I have seen the store checkers take up to 3 of the welfare debit cards to pay for a purchase. Many of these people also work for cash on the side and/or steal, usually metal items to cash in at the recycling business for drugs. To say this is limited to women would be very wrong. Alcohol abuse is just as common as drug abuse and although programs exist to help them kick the habit, the lack of work ethic prevails. And, on Wal-Mart, it is not uncommon that they shoplift items and return them but without the receipt, there is a monthly limit though on how much they can return. They also return the items that the church issues the children for Christmas. Give me a break about the poor welfare and how hard it must be. I can tell you that I did the math and the people working in the lower cost area where we lived for the most part only did it because of their personal integrity because the deal the others got with welfare was pretty darn good! It is an education to see poverty and the people and dynamics in play. It is not like what you think.
Your entire post smacks of jealousy and envy.

What's so wrong with children getting free breakfast or something to eat??

And the stereotype that most welfare recipients are drug addicts is just that a STEREOTYPE.

Just ask Florida.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,867,632 times
Quote:
You and your husband didn't pay enough in either fund to pay for you to live on for the rest of your lives. If your surgery is $80,000, then I'm sure neither one of you paid that much into Medicare over your working lives. It's TAXPAYER money like MINE that is helping to fund your healthcare and your living expenses.

If you retired at 65 and live until you're 90, your SSA and MEDICARE is being paid by ME and OTHERS still working.

So YES, you ARE getting HANDOUTS. If you were getting a pension or a private IRA account, then that's YOUR money to last for as long as you need it.

These are HANDOUTS. If the government has anything to do with it, then you are receiving an ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM.

I have seen my paycheck being deducted for more and more crap over the years.

I will agree with you on the highlighted only.

Since the recession, there are people treating the unemployed as "welfare" recipients, because they are collecting something they paid into "Unemployment Insurance".

With all the taxes I've paid throughout my working life, I expect to get PUBLIC AID when I apply for it. I don't want to jump through hoops either.

Like you, I also believe it should be used as a temporary situation. As of now, 1 in 7 Americans are on foodstamps and millions are living a life of homelessness.
There aren't enough words in the language to tell you how flawed your reasoning is.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 AM

2,728 posts, read 5,331,959 times
Quote:
Your entire post smacks of jealousy and envy.

What's so wrong with children getting free breakfast or something to eat??

And the stereotype that most welfare recipients are drug addicts is just that a STEREOTYPE.

Just ask Florida.
How many times does it have to be said? THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE MEAL.

SOMEBODY is paying for all these "free lunches." Who, you might ask? People who WORK and PAY TAXES.

Why should I pay extra taxes, just because some loathsome individuals simply don't feel like feeding the kids they cranked out? If you did the breeding, you should do the feeding.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 76,943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The idea of welfare for the poor is NOT abusive. However, like absolutely everything, there are plenty of abusers. Culling them out has not been a high priority. And individual abusers always get more attention than corporate abusers.

You want to get rid of corporate abusers who hire illegal aliens and pay them under the table with less than minimum wage? Pass a law that says the fine is $10,000 per day, per illegal, no exceptions, no discounts, and if it bankrupts the company--aw, geez. See if that will pass Congress.

Want to be done with individual abusers of food stamps and the like? Pass a law that says if you are caught you will never be eligible for any kind of welfare again, hospitals are exempt from providing medical treatment and, social security payments, when and if you are entitled to them, will be syphoned off until the amount that is determined you cheated is paid. See if that will pass Congress.

Abusers of workers compensation and medicare/medicaid fraud---see above paragraph.

Make it more lucrative for cheaters to move to another country than stay in this one.

Corporate abusers that don't follow required safety laws. Make the fine three times higher than the cost of repair. Bankrupts the company---aw, geez. Don't fund retirement programs or in other ways cheat employees of benefits promised---send ALL top corporate officers that were in charge over that period of time to jail for a minimum, no exceptions, of ten years. See if that will pass Congress.

It may sound ludicrous to many of you, but until we make the punishment far more severe than the reward of the crime, this crap will continue to happen to us.

And, by the way, my politics lean toward the liberal side!
Totally agree with you. I also think there should be a means test for receiving Social Security. I don't care how much you paid in; if you are wealthy, are getting a fat pension, have assets in the millions . . . why the hell are you using a "safety net" that was created to keep people from starving and from being totally homeless?

I see the abuse - from the top, as well as at the bottom, of the "wealth" scale. The elderly and children should be protected, despite what lousy decisions they or their parents may have made. A society that isn't concerned about the elderly and children isn't one I want to live in - and I think the majority of Americans feel the same. It is simply the abuse we want stopped - and that includes with Medicare, as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
How many times does it have to be said? THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE MEAL.

SOMEBODY is paying for all these "free lunches." Who, you might ask? People who WORK and PAY TAXES.

Why should I pay extra taxes, just because some loathsome individuals simply don't feel like feeding the kids they cranked out? If you did the breeding, you should do the feeding.
Are the children to blame for their parents financial mishaps?

What should be done with them? Watch them starve?

Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates