Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
 
6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Reputation: 6395

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Totally agree with you. I also think there should be a means test for receiving Social Security. I don't care how much you paid in; if you are wealthy, are getting a fat pension, have assets in the millions . . . why the hell are you using a "safety net" that was created to keep people from starving and from being totally homeless?
I'm not understanding this either. I once worked for a wealthy attorney who had all of his medical needs paid by medicare. I was stunned. Like how the hell could this rich man get something that was created for people barely surviving? It still doesn't make any sense to me even now.

Quote:
I see the abuse - from the top, as well as at the bottom, of the "wealth" scale. The elderly and children should be protected, despite what lousy decisions they or their parents may have made. A society that isn't concerned about the elderly and children isn't one I want to live in - and I think the majority of Americans feel the same. It is simply the abuse we want stopped - and that includes with Medicare, as well.
Yep, this is me as well. Kids cannot control the type of parents they are born to and the elderly can no longer take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
 
2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are the children to blame for their parents financial mishaps?

What should be done with them? Watch them starve?

Just curious.
What happened before welfare became a lifestyle, and a career choice? People took care of their own kids. It was expected, and most people had the ethics and morals to do it. It was considered shameful to NOT take care of your family. Parents refused to be clothes for themselves, so that they could buy food for their kids. If they needed help, extended family often stepped up.

Not so today. Welfare Mama and Sperm Donor Daddy are too busy breeding, texting on their iPhones, smoking, and watching Cable TV to prepare meals for their kids. Instead, they send them to school hungry, because schools provide free meals.

And the cycle not only continues, but it snowballs to the point where we have more people than ever on foodstamps. So welcome to America, circa 2012. The land where somebody else pays for your laziness and bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Reputation: 2141
If you don't pay taxes, then buy an all terrain vehicle and don't expect roads to be paved either.
"Why should I pay for you to drive on my street? You don't live here"

This is WHY America remained BEHIND 3rd world countries at this point! You people expect HANDOUTS...YOU COMPLAIN that the Gov has programs to help those who ARE NOT PAID ENOUGH BY THEIR EMPLOYERS TO HAVE A DECENT LIVING, and then YOU EXPECT that the Gov is just going to POUR money into everything so you can drive, and take your kids to BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS and so forth! Do you get it doesn't work like that?...and on the flip side, where exactly would you prefer your precious tax dollar go to?????? I keep hearing all sorts of crap about not giving to the unemployed, the poor, the children, and so forth...so where should this go? cause according to THIS pie chart...THE MAJORITY of your precious TAX dollars are going to the military! Yet it seems to me, we are in peace times!????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
 
16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Reputation: 27047
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
I doubt you can return food items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
 
6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Reputation: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
What happened before welfare became a lifestyle, and a career choice? People took care of their own kids. It was expected, and most people had the ethics and morals to do it. It was considered shameful to NOT take care of your family. Parents refused to be clothes for themselves, so that they could buy food for their kids. If they needed help, extended family often stepped up.

Not so today. Welfare Mama and Sperm Donor Daddy are too busy breeding, texting on their iPhones, smoking, and watching Cable TV to prepare meals for their kids. Instead, they send them to school hungry, because schools provide free meals.

And the cycle not only continues, but it snowballs to the point where we have more people than ever on foodstamps. So welcome to America, circa 2012. The land where somebody else pays for your laziness and bad choices.
Hmmm, you must have missed the question I asked you.

Are you saying the children should go hungry because their parents are poor?

Welfare came to being during the Great Depression, so please believe YOUR great grandparents were accepting handouts and your parents were probably eating the "government cheese" that used to come around back in the day too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
 
2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Hmmm, you must have missed the question I asked you.

Are you saying the children should go hungry because their parents are poor?

Welfare came to being during the Great Depression, so please believe YOUR great grandparents were accepting handouts and your parents were probably eating the "government cheese" that used to come around back in the day too.
I answered your question. You just don't like the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Florida
23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Reputation: 27914
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm not understanding this either. I once worked for a wealthy attorney who had all of his medical needs paid by medicare. I was stunned. Like how the hell could this rich man get something that was created for people barely surviving? It still doesn't make any sense to me even now.
Do you realize that doctors cannot charge anyone qualified for Medicare, even if they are willing and able to pay for it out of their own pocket?
I would love to be able to add to the absurdy low payment my DH's primary gets from Medicare but he is forbidden, by law, to accept it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yep, this is me as well. Kids cannot control the type of parents they are born to and the elderly can no longer take care of themselves.
We're elderly.....we've had a 'lifetime' to prepare for non-working years.
You just complained about a apparently 'elderly" man using Medicare.Make up your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Reputation: 4674
Default Equal distortion

Hmmm, both sides in this debate seem to be going off the deep end. Both sides are right, but in different ways.

There is little doubt that unless we can find a way to at least curtail the burgeoning entitlement programs we will sink our own finanacial ship. Likewise, if you simply abandon the poor and destitute to their own fate, you have a medieval ages scenario where there was so much theft and looting the authorities resorted to hanging ten year olds for stealing a loaf of bread. Anarchy is that result.

And we ARE all on a ship together like the Titanic. If the bow goes down because of an increasing load of debt due to entitlements (OR the military), then sooner or later, the stern of the ship sinks, too. But if the stern goes down because their is so much mutiny aboard that no one can run the ship without putting troops on every street, we are just as doomed.

Seems like both sides should be working toward something harmonious. During the Clinton years the government was trying a work to get your benefits program that showed some promise--there was a decrease in welfare rolls. We also need to get our social programs in order to limit the amount of money paid out for children who are born to non-working parents. For instance, we could give a set amount for up to two children, but no matter how many more you had--no additional monies. BUT, we would provide birth control devices for frickin' FREE. I'm just brainstorming here, not saying it's the best way or the only way.

Second, we have to stop being the world's policeman. All the developed European nations do a better job of providing healthcare for their people than the United States because we provide the real military protection they need. We are stretched too thin and perhaps gone an aircraft carrier too far.

But using this forum to, in so many words, call one another stupid, is in itself stupid. Brainstorm with suggestions that will at least have the other side thinking.

Because WE aren't doing that, our Congressmen have decided they don't have to do it either and every few months run us toward some crisis or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Reputation: 2141
Health and social services 7%, military 60%.

Pay people based on cost of living, stop asking people to work for free, and then you won't have anyone else on welfare except disabled ppl, and older people who don't make enough to support themselves.

Also, promote families, it would be cheaper for an older person to live with family, than on their own. (Families here encourage kids to leave, and end up living 2000 miles away....both wasting money trying to survive, rather than save.)

It should be ILLEGAL to post jobs with NO PAY. Start there. There should be NO MINIMUM wage.

Reduce the seat numbers in Congress, and elect them every 4 years to, AND ONLY pay them IF they PASS practical LAWS that HELP the citizens of this country.


Get out of other people's countries. That would solve the debt really quick.

Close the borders all together until further notice.


Put the citizens first, and STOP treating them like disposable diapers. Treat them like valued assets. You'll still make profits, but your employees would be able to support themselves and their families, and get off welfare. Here's an example: the insurance offered currently at my husbands job is so overpriced for a family that we'd be living in the street if we took it. It also doesn't cover anything until you spend $10,000 OUT OF POCKET FIRST! THAT should be illegal, as it is PURE extortion.

Autism related services such as ABA therapy, speech/occupational/behavior therapies should be readily available and affordable because Autistic children are not all born to the 1%, and these should all be covered by ALL insurance companies. The citizens are PAYING for that insurance!

Stop putting people into debt. Reorganize mentalities that this pillow would be there tomorrow too, no need to open a NEW line of credit to buy it today. The world will not go away if you don't buy that pillow NOW. Same goes for everything else.

Reduce the wage gap.


Here are several solutions for you...now let's see how many would be implemented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hmmm, both sides in this debate seem to be going off the deep end. Both sides are right, but in different ways.

There is little doubt that unless we can find a way to at least curtail the burgeoning entitlement programs we will sink our own finanacial ship. Likewise, if you simply abandon the poor and destitute to their own fate, you have a medieval ages scenario where there was so much theft and looting the authorities resorted to hanging ten year olds for stealing a loaf of bread. Anarchy is that result.

And we ARE all on a ship together like the Titanic. If the bow goes down because of an increasing load of debt due to entitlements (OR the military), then sooner or later, the stern of the ship sinks, too. But if the stern goes down because their is so much mutiny aboard that no one can run the ship without putting troops on every street, we are just as doomed.

Seems like both sides should be working toward something harmonious. During the Clinton years the government was trying a work to get your benefits program that showed some promise--there was a decrease in welfare rolls. We also need to get our social programs in order to limit the amount of money paid out for children who are born to non-working parents. For instance, we could give a set amount for up to two children, but no matter how many more you had--no additional monies. BUT, we would provide birth control devices for frickin' FREE. I'm just brainstorming here, not saying it's the best way or the only way.

Second, we have to stop being the world's policeman. All the developed European nations do a better job of providing healthcare for their people than the United States because we provide the real military protection they need. We are stretched too thin and perhaps gone an aircraft carrier too far.

But using this forum to, in so many words, call one another stupid, is in itself stupid. Brainstorm with suggestions that will at least have the other side thinking.

Because WE aren't doing that, our Congressmen have decided they don't have to do it either and every few months run us toward some crisis or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Reputation: 11485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hmmm, both sides in this debate seem to be going off the deep end. Both sides are right, but in different ways.

There is little doubt that unless we can find a way to at least curtail the burgeoning entitlement programs we will sink our own finanacial ship. Likewise, if you simply abandon the poor and destitute to their own fate, you have a medieval ages scenario where there was so much theft and looting the authorities resorted to hanging ten year olds for stealing a loaf of bread. Anarchy is that result.

And we ARE all on a ship together like the Titanic. If the bow goes down because of an increasing load of debt due to entitlements (OR the military), then sooner or later, the stern of the ship sinks, too. But if the stern goes down because their is so much mutiny aboard that no one can run the ship without putting troops on every street, we are just as doomed.

Seems like both sides should be working toward something harmonious. During the Clinton years the government was trying a work to get your benefits program that showed some promise--there was a decrease in welfare rolls. We also need to get our social programs in order to limit the amount of money paid out for children who are born to non-working parents. For instance, we could give a set amount for up to two children, but no matter how many more you had--no additional monies. BUT, we would provide birth control devices for frickin' FREE. I'm just brainstorming here, not saying it's the best way or the only way.

Second, we have to stop being the world's policeman. All the developed European nations do a better job of providing healthcare for their people than the United States because we provide the real military protection they need. We are stretched too thin and perhaps gone an aircraft carrier too far.

But using this forum to, in so many words, call one another stupid, is in itself stupid. Brainstorm with suggestions that will at least have the other side thinking.

Because WE aren't doing that, our Congressmen have decided they don't have to do it either and every few months run us toward some crisis or another.

When 'workfare' was started during the Clinton years there were still jobs available. The huge rise in food stamp users is mostly because of job loss and the jobs are no longer available so what do they do? I don't know about other states but welfare in AZ has been capped for a long time, no matter how many more babies are born. The food stamps go up though. Planned Parenthood has birth control for cheap. They don't JUST do abortions but look out for women's health, in general, and provide BC for those who want it. Maybe not 'free' but definitely affordable. Oh wait...someone wanted to cut them out of the budget so maybe that won't be so in the future.

i have thought, for a very long time, that the US doesn't need to be the "world's policeman" and why we are still sending billions to other countries instead of taking care of our own disturbs me too. What are we doing? Bribing them to 'play nice'??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top