Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM

2,728 posts, read 5,331,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LOL! I really don't believe too many men will "fight" or try to stop it either. If you were to seriously ask most of them, I bet most would say they never wanted the kids they got to begin with.
All of my kids were planned, wanted, loved, cared for and raised. And when we were done having children, I'm the one who visited Dr. SnipSnip.

But don't kid yourself. Any man, when faced with the "possibility" of having his junk messed with, is going to balk. Also, a lot of really really stupid men (which is a lot of men) do not know the difference between a vasectomy and castration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,967,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
All of my kids were planned, wanted, loved, cared for and raised. And when we were done having children, I'm the one who visited Dr. SnipSnip.

But don't kid yourself. Any man, when faced with the "possibility" of having his junk messed with, is going to balk. Also, a lot of really really stupid men (which is a lot of men) do not know the difference between a vasectomy and castration.
LOL! Too funny at the highlighted!

I have a male friend with only one child that he and his ex-wife both planned and wanted. He realized later after they divorced and his son was still young that he didn't want extra children. He told every woman he dated this, but that he was willing to adopt. At first, most women were fine with this, but then realized that they "might" eventually want a child with him. Even though he used condoms religiously without fail he didn't want to take the chance on any 'accidents'.

It only cost him a few hundred dollars (his insurance paid for it) and everything still "worked" like it was supposed to. He was afraid to get it, because he heard urban legends about vasectomies rendering some men with erectile dysfunction problems. For several months he was worried about this, but it's been five years with no problems.

Last edited by marilyn220; 11-28-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,257,746 times
Default This is way, way too much work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would hope not but I've heard of welfare types 1) buying cheap soft drinks because the food stamps pays for the can or bottle deposit, 2) then they pour out the drinks to get the cash refunds on the cans. 3) Then they can buy cigarettes or beer.

Any system that allows people to choose never to work but lay around expecting free money and free stuff is going to be abused.
and very unnecessary. All that is really needed is a friend or family member who needs to get their groceries for the week (two weeks, three weeks, or month). The medicaid recipient gets the list of items needed (OR takes the person along with them), 1) they purchase the groceries and then the friend/family member reimburses the recipient with cash.

The cash is then used to 2) buy laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, frminine hygiene products, deodorant, cigarettes, beer, or anything else the recipient feels is necessary to live their lifestyle.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,063,024 times
Quote:
I am 100% behind this. No need to have more kids if you're already in a messed up situation that you can't take care of. Pure selfishness if you ask me.

If male birth control were available for men, I am 1000000% POSITIVE that they would NEVER miss a pill, shot or implantation. There would be lines around the block at pharmacies for DAYS getting their birth control method of choice. LOL!

I don't understand why more adult males don't think about getting reversible vasectomies. What are they afraid of?? They can always get it reversed when they meet the woman that WANT to have children with.

If I was a man you wouldn't have to convince me or tell me twice. The procedure only costs a few hundred dollars and will save thousands of dollars in child support for the next 18 to 21 years.
When I suggested that the Govt give an incentive to any woman or man (on welfare) who gets "fixed" (on another thread) people threw a fit.
Really, I think if they offer the procedure for free and give $1000 cash, people would jump. And, let's be honest, $1000 to each would be a drop considering the added (possible lifetime) benefits a child would take.
And it would be a CHOICE, if they don't take it, fine, but after their first kid, they don't get extra money or FS.
Yeah, people kept screaming eugenics, and Darwinism...umm...no, that's where the whole choice thing comes into play.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,967,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
When I suggested that the Govt give an incentive to any woman or man (on welfare) who gets "fixed" (on another thread) people threw a fit.
Really, I think if they offer the procedure for free and give $1000 cash, people would jump. And, let's be honest, $1000 to each would be a drop considering the added (possible lifetime) benefits a child would take.
And it would be a CHOICE, if they don't take it, fine, but after their first kid, they don't get extra money or FS.
Yeah, people kept screaming eugenics, and Darwinism...umm...no, that's where the whole choice thing comes into play.
They don't get more money now for new kids, but of course they will get foodstamps. You can't have the kid starve just cause their mother is an irresponsible dodo bird.

If you're talking about sterilization, then I'm against that. I have no problem with birth control or reversible tubal ligation for women, but I'd prefer they use longterm birth control methods such as norplant, IUD, shots, pill, etc., first.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,063,024 times
Quote:
They don't get more money now for new kids, but of course they will get foodstamps. You can't have the kid starve just cause their mother is an irresponsible dodo bird.

If you're talking about sterilization, then I'm against that. I have no problem with birth control or reversible tubal ligation for women, but I'd prefer they use longterm birth control methods such as norplant, IUD, shots, pill, etc., first.
I'd rather have the reversible tubal ligation, than a bunch or hormones, chemicals, and foreign matter in my body, but to each his own I guess.
My experience with the pill caused my to gain a lot of weight, that took my years to get rid of.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
I work in customer service at a grocery store in colorado the policy is ten dollars and under no questions asked and you get it in cash The problem is people go to food banks and return the food that is under the limit of ten dollars. I have worked at customer service for four years. I know the chronic refunders, the ones who buy food that is supposed to help them and their kids and they do return it for cash to get cigerettes. I also notice how many of these people who need help make more sitting at home then I do working 32+ hours a week. Their nails, hair are professionally done they are covered in new tattoos they have the newest greatest cell phone, expensive purses clothes, and drive away in a new car. If they have kids their kids are in day care five days a week while they don't work. I don't mind helping people who really need the help I have a promblem helping people who aren't willing to work. if they get money because the supposedly can't find a job they can clean parks, streets, do trash, there is something they should be able to do to earn $900.00 + a month. And I think drug test sould be mandatory every year if you can afford drugs you really do not need the help

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,926,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinko7686 View Post
I work in customer service at a grocery store in colorado the policy is ten dollars and under no questions asked and you get it in cash The problem is people go to food banks and return the food that is under the limit of ten dollars. I have worked at customer service for four years. I know the chronic refunders, the ones who buy food that is supposed to help them and their kids and they do return it for cash to get cigerettes. I also notice how many of these people who need help make more sitting at home then I do working 32+ hours a week. Their nails, hair are professionally done they are covered in new tattoos they have the newest greatest cell phone, expensive purses clothes, and drive away in a new car. If they have kids their kids are in day care five days a week while they don't work. I don't mind helping people who really need the help I have a promblem helping people who aren't willing to work. if they get money because the supposedly can't find a job they can clean parks, streets, do trash, there is something they should be able to do to earn $900.00 + a month. And I think drug test should be mandatory every year if you can afford drugs you really do not need the help
If your store is, indeed, refunding cash when the purchase was made using SNAP benefits, then your store is committing food stamp fraud. Maybe you should make an anonymous report to the feds, rather than continue to assist in the commission of a federal crime.

As for the rest of your "observations", well...

Last edited by lenora; 11-29-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,158,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Actually, you do need to be open-minded and honest about what is REALLY going on.

Is it RIGHT that people who are receiving Section 8, Foodstamps, etc., have iPhones, digital Cable, 60" plasma TVs, and dress in designer clothes? What is RIGHT about that?

Foodstamps should - and could - be limited to buying staples, and unprocessed foods. No refunds, no credits. Easily done.

We are in a day and age where technology COULD help us cut out most of these abuses. But our politicians do not WANT to do it. They'd lose votes and/or lose campaign contributions.

Okay, from the latter of your post It is clear that you do not know how food stamps work..
EBT is a separate card then that of Cash aid. That is number 1. EBT cards can only be used for food products excluding alcohol and tobacco products as well as many other items that are not considered food.

There is another card issue for AFDC…And this money is like cash that can be used for any item..

Second..There will be abuse in any institution, there are safe guards in place and the policies have become more stringent here in Ca in the last decade, all you need to do is look up the CALworks handbook, relatively easy instead of going off of misinformation and not being aware of the process.

There are no “credits” but there is a thing called a receipt and when a individual bringing back items? The amount gets returned back onto their EBT card.

As far as abuses ( Again)? Oh yes and they are done by everyone! Not just a stereotype…
My b/f has a brother whom is on SSDI..He qualified for foodtstamps however his family was wondering why he ran out of food every month?
Well come to find out he was allowing certain friends of his “borrow” his card and going to buy food..what was the exchange?
He is a raging alcoholic and he was selling 200.00 of his food stamp bennies for 100.00 cash to buy booze to go on a huge bender at the first of the month!
This is a PEOPLE problem not a government PROBLEM.
The government and public agencies can set the standards and the eligibility process however they cannot monitor 24/7 regarding the individuals decision to use their benefits..Does my b/f’s brother need the food? Of course however booze takes precedence..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The idea of welfare for the poor is NOT abusive. However, like absolutely everything, there are plenty of abusers. Culling them out has not been a high priority. And individual abusers always get more attention than corporate abusers.

You want to get rid of corporate abusers who hire illegal aliens and pay them under the table with less than minimum wage? Pass a law that says the fine is $10,000 per day, per illegal, no exceptions, no discounts, and if it bankrupts the company--aw, geez. See if that will pass Congress.

Want to be done with individual abusers of food stamps and the like? Pass a law that says if you are caught you will never be eligible for any kind of welfare again, hospitals are exempt from providing medical treatment and, social security payments, when and if you are entitled to them, will be syphoned off until the amount that is determined you cheated is paid. See if that will pass Congress.

Abusers of workers compensation and medicare/medicaid fraud---see above paragraph.

Make it more lucrative for cheaters to move to another country than stay in this one.

Corporate abusers that don't follow required safety laws. Make the fine three times higher than the cost of repair. Bankrupts the company---aw, geez. Don't fund retirement programs or in other ways cheat employees of benefits promised---send ALL top corporate officers that were in charge over that period of time to jail for a minimum, no exceptions, of ten years. See if that will pass Congress.

It may sound ludicrous to many of you, but until we make the punishment far more severe than the reward of the crime, this crap will continue to happen to us.

And, by the way, my politics lean toward the liberal side!
I agree with you completely..
However as you stated it is easier said than done..It is not always very easy for the government to detect fraud from big corps especially from the fraud you stated ( Hiring illegal immigrants).
I was speaking to my sister about this the other night…( She is the controller for a local AG company.)
I was stating that small AG companies and bigger ones ( Like hers ) need to be responsible in ensuring that they are not hiring illegal immigrants to work for them since they are essentially aiding in the issue.

What she stated threw me back! She stated to me point blank, “Our big corps gets around this by hiring an outside party” “We depend on another company to hire our workers this way if there is a raid? We can pass off all liability!” She did not agree with this but this is way abover her head..
So essentially all the policies and protocols are in place however where there is a will there will always be a way..:/…

Regarding welfare fraud? Ummm…There is not only a payback system in place there is a prison sentence attached and it does happen!
I.E.
My sister’s first born son’s aunt thought she could fool the system!
She has four children, however she only had custody of (2) She left her eldest son with her mother. She illegally sold her third daughter to a thankfully decent christian family from a church she attended and they wanted the baby because they saw how neglected and abused the baby was. Her second born? She simply gave her to a family friend ( whom adopted her 2 years later)
And she kept the second born son for reasons unknown. Well after 5 years of this? WELFARE had received several complaints and reports and she was sentenced to 5 years in federal prison..and lost custody of the other child which her mother ended up raising as well.
So in effect? The laws are there but not enough man power or big brother action to catch every single case of fraud..

Quote:
It's true AksarbeN. Foodstamps and cash benefits are shared on the same card.

It's easier to qualify for foodstamps than it is for CASH benefits. They make you jump through hoops to get a little bit of cash. I read on another board that a single person in NY with no dependents only gets $87 in cash and it still takes up to 45 days just to qualify for it. I'm sure it can't be but so much more for women with children.

I really don't know how $87 in cash is supposed to last an entire month in an expensive city like NYC, but obviously New York state thinks it's doable.
These benies are not shared on the same card..If the recipient has a bank account the monies are deposited monthly there, if not? They receive a different card much as child support recipients receive..

The reason it is easier to qualify for one or more benefits is because the criteria is different period.
This goes for everyone. Those that are disabled and this has been observed by the state and SSDI has been awarded, then they are eligible for some food stamp or cal fresh program. The bennies are not that much and based on income ( SSDI). There are individuals that are veterans and they are also eligible for food tamps if they meet criteria.
The homeless or the very impoverished are eligible for General relief although this money is awarded on a pay back system, 91.00 a month and up to a one time cash payment of 300.00 for place to stay. The 91.00 must be paid back.
Single mothers are eligible for Food stamps. Elderly meeting the income eligibility requirements are also eligible for the foodstamp or cal fresh program.
WHY does it take jumping through hoops to obtain cash aid? For the very same reason posters on here are complaining about…”Does the person really need it?”
Meaning…An elderly person whom owns there own home..they will measure property value, how much money they have in savings, checking, how much they are getting in SSI. Combined with their spouse or deceased spouse. Cars, stocks and so forth. Pension plans.
Aid is not about maintaining a life that a person is useto but rather based on need. They figure the person can sell their home, and move into a smaller home and so forth. The laws are in place for a reason.

It is always easier to judge blindly when one does not know or Is not aware of how the system works. It is always to place blame when the blame lies on PEOPLE and it is HUMAN error and fraud that cause these issues.
But it is always best to really understand that FRAUD exists in every institution and noone on aid really EVER gets rich..lol…really?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 AM

5,279 posts, read 7,555,502 times
Quote:
...algia...snipped..."Florida's Orange Juice" is not coming to Floridians from Florida directly as it should be, it has to go to INDIANA(God knows why) BEFORE it returns to Florida at double the price it should cost.
Wow ! I worked as an HR mgr in a citrus processing organization for many years and we never shipped any of our juice or fresh fruit to be processed out of state. There were so many processing plants in state, cold storage warehouses, fresh fruit packinghouses and most of the growers belonged to cooperatives that used these facilities....I guess times has changed. I wonder what Florida Natural brand does with all of that unused (?) processing plant on site in Lake Wales or Tropicana in Bradenton or Minute Maid in Auburndale, etc, etc.....

just askin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates