Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2012, 03:28 PM
 
737 posts, read 1,143,189 times
Reputation: 1013

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Absolutely disgraceful!! The government should be ashamed.

There is starvation in the United States, but no one wants to talk about it. Truly, truly disgusting.

You have Bill Clinton to be blame for this with the Welfare Reform Act. It did nothing, but plunge millions of americans further and further into despair.
It is disgraceful that the niece and other relatives cannot help out an elderly aunt and think it is the role of government to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
It is disgraceful that the niece and other relatives cannot help out an elderly aunt and think it is the role of government to do so.
It's absurd and disgraceful, and shows a legacy of selfishness. If I had a elderly relative that was incapable of making ends meet, they'd be living in my house before they'd be starving. Of course, nobody in my immediate family has a welfare mentality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
31,304 posts, read 32,745,361 times
Reputation: 84477
Very interesting links George,,,,, thanks for sharing them! It's an eye opener for sure. However it appears that each state can control what they do or don't do with these cards. Also there are "other" sources of money applied to the cards, thus it's not all food stamp issues. The EBT cards appear to a good idea for those who use them for what they were intended for, however people seem to defraud the systems no matter how much the agencies try to prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Very interesting links George,,,,, thanks for sharing them! It's an eye opener for sure. However it appears that each state can control what they do or don't do with these cards. Also there are "other" sources of money applied to the cards, thus it's not all food stamp issues. The EBT cards appear to a good idea for those who use them for what they were intended for, however people seem to defraud the systems no matter how much the agencies try to prevent it.
As I've said earlier - regarding welfare abuse by "the poor" as well as welfare abuse by corporations - our politicians COULD do something about this IF they wanted to. Unfortunately, votes and campaign contributions are more important than doing what is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Reputation: 11485
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Don't forget Walmart and their slave wages. They actively encourage workers to get on public assistance such as foodstamps and medicaid, so they don't have to pay them decently or get benefits.
I don't know where this rumor comes from but it just isn't true! I work for Walmart and never have I heard of anyone being advised or encouraged to apply for foodstamps, etc.. People who work for Walmart DO have benefits, if they want them. Even part timers, like me. They have to work there for a year to get medical insurance, if they are part time, but they CAN have it. Full time can get it in about 3 months, I believe. I have my benefits book right here and can look it all up.

When I applied for my job one of the things asked was what my availability was. I only wanted part time and that's what I got. Others that started with me wanted full time and that's what they got. Walmart doesn't deliberately hire only part time to avoid bennies. And even though I don't make a LOT of money I do have bennies that can add at least a couple thousand to my earnings every year. By the end of this year I will have been paid a tad over $2,000 for the bennies I'm eligible for. I have paid vacation, paid personal time off...both based on hours worked, of course...I've been paid for jury duty, I make more to work Sundays, I get a nice bonus every three months and couple other things I can't think of at the moment. The bonus is based on many things but we always get good ones because we are a good store with good employees. AND, probably most important, really good managers who CARE.

Having said all that, I agree...Walmart SHOULD pay more but I have to say that they are first company I have EVER worked for who actually gave raises they promise. I had three in two years and another one coming up. In my store we have people who've been there up to 25 years and a LOT who've been there from five on up. I know, for a fact, one friend of mine who's been there 10 years is making $15+ per hour and the ones who've been there longer make more. If they didn't like working there they wouldn't stay that long, for sure. Raises are based on performance and I always get the max, for which I am grateful. I could kick my butt for not going there seven years ago when I came back to my hometown. But, I was one of those idjits who just believed all I heard about Walmart and wouldn't 'lower myself' to work for such a horrible company. Duh.....

Anyway, I just wish people would stop perpetuating rumors that have no truth to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Reputation: 11485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
A lot of EBT cards also have cash from welfare on them....
SOME do but not a "lot". Being a cashier I see a lot of reciepts and they will show the balance of both the EBT card and the 'welfare' dollars. It's rare to see anything BUT EBT on them and the ones I've seen that DO have money benefits are people who very obviously need them. Basically the handicapped. Not even the elderly who have EBT cards get money on them. It's really hard to get actual welfare. Much harder than getting food stamps but even that is a pain in the keester and they go through the whole thing again periodically to re-qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM
 
6,459 posts, read 11,982,296 times
Reputation: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know where this rumor comes from but it just isn't true! I work for Walmart and never have I heard of anyone being advised or encouraged to apply for foodstamps, etc.. People who work for Walmart DO have benefits, if they want them. Even part timers, like me. They have to work there for a year to get medical insurance, if they are part time, but they CAN have it. Full time can get it in about 3 months, I believe. I have my benefits book right here and can look it all up.

When I applied for my job one of the things asked was what my availability was. I only wanted part time and that's what I got. Others that started with me wanted full time and that's what they got. Walmart doesn't deliberately hire only part time to avoid bennies. And even though I don't make a LOT of money I do have bennies that can add at least a couple thousand to my earnings every year. By the end of this year I will have been paid a tad over $2,000 for the bennies I'm eligible for. I have paid vacation, paid personal time off...both based on hours worked, of course...I've been paid for jury duty, I make more to work Sundays, I get a nice bonus every three months and couple other things I can't think of at the moment. The bonus is based on many things but we always get good ones because we are a good store with good employees. AND, probably most important, really good managers who CARE.

Having said all that, I agree...Walmart SHOULD pay more but I have to say that they are first company I have EVER worked for who actually gave raises they promise. I had three in two years and another one coming up. In my store we have people who've been there up to 25 years and a LOT who've been there from five on up. I know, for a fact, one friend of mine who's been there 10 years is making $15+ per hour and the ones who've been there longer make more. If they didn't like working there they wouldn't stay that long, for sure. Raises are based on performance and I always get the max, for which I am grateful. I could kick my butt for not going there seven years ago when I came back to my hometown. But, I was one of those idjits who just believed all I heard about Walmart and wouldn't 'lower myself' to work for such a horrible company. Duh.....

Anyway, I just wish people would stop perpetuating rumors that have no truth to them.
Um, not trying to be disrespectful but Walmart was SUED for these very things you listed up top.

Their own pay schedule documents detail it.

Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/Walmart_0.pdf

Quote:
The testimonials of these workers are confirmed by Walmart’s official compensation policy, an internal company document obtained by The Huffington Post, titled the "Field Non-Exempt Associate Pay Plan Fiscal Year 2013." The plan details a rigid pay structure for hourly employees that makes it difficult for most to rise much beyond poverty-level wages.

Low-level workers typically start near minimum wage, and have the potential to earn raises of 20 to 40 cents an hour through incremental promotions. Flawless performance merits a 60 cent raise per year under the policy, regardless of how much time an employee has worked for the company. [Click here to read the full pay policy] As a result, a "solid performer" who starts at Walmart as a cart pusher making $8 an hour and receives one promotion, about the average rate, can expect to make $10.60 after working at the company for 6 years.
What "bonuses" are you talking about?

Ten Things Wal-Mart Doesn’t Want You To Know - Campus Progress

Let's not forget how Walmart sued the brain damaged employee for the medical benefits they paid out for her once she won her lawsuit against the trucking company that ran her over.

Wal-Mart Sues Brain Damaged Employee As Reward for Giving Her Health Insurance | Mother Jones

Walmarts abuses are very well documented all over the internet. NO ONE MADE UP ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.

Most of Walmarts employees have to go on state medicaid and foodstamps, because they do not make enough to take care of themselves nor their families. THIS IS FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM
 
6,459 posts, read 11,982,296 times
Reputation: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Very interesting links George,,,,, thanks for sharing them! It's an eye opener for sure. However it appears that each state can control what they do or don't do with these cards. Also there are "other" sources of money applied to the cards, thus it's not all food stamp issues. The EBT cards appear to a good idea for those who use them for what they were intended for, however people seem to defraud the systems no matter how much the agencies try to prevent it.
Do you know WHY people are selling some of their foodstamps?

It's because they are not getting enough CASH BENEFITS to buy things that Foodstamps doesn't.

Foodstamps will NOT allow you to purchase deodorant, soap, shoes, school books for your children, shampoo (or other toiletries), toilet paper, tampons, cleaning supplies or detergent to wash clothes (or MONEY to wash clothes) etc.

Unfortunately, depending on what state you live in, here in NYC, you will only be allowed a metrocard (maybe) and foodstamps only. For some reason states are doing away with CASH benefits. I'm not understanding the hows or whys behind it. How can you live in a FIRST WORLD NATION with NO CASH??

People are doing what they HAVE TO DO in order to survive without selling their bodies, drugs or other illegal activity.

Yet, Wall Street can get a bailout of BILLIONS of dollars without batting an eyelash. Freaking disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you know WHY people are selling some of their foodstamps?

It's because they are not getting enough CASH BENEFITS to buy things that Foodstamps doesn't.

Foodstamps will NOT allow you to purchase deodorant, soap, shoes, school books for your children, shampoo (or other toiletries), cleaning supplies or detergent to wash clothes (or MONEY to wash clothes) etc.

Unfortunately, depending on what state you live in, here in NYC, you will only be allowed a metrocard (maybe) and foodstamps only. For some reason states are doing away with CASH benefits. I'm not understanding the hows or whys behind it. How can you live in a FIRST WORLD NATION with NO CASH??

People are doing what they HAVE TO DO in order to survive without selling their bodies, drugs or other illegal activity.

Yet, Wall Street can get a bailout of BILLIONS of dollars without batting an eyelash. Freaking disgusting.
Actually, what's freaking disgusting is how you can take facts and make them something they aren't.

It is PROVEN that (many) welfare recipients are abusing and defrauding the system - yet YOU claim it's something noble, and that it's NOT their fault! In fact, not only is lying and cheating not their fault, it's actually somebody else's fault.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Entitlement mentality run amok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 24,100,933 times
Reputation: 6822
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
IF employers would pay living wages, welfare would be restricted to those who can no longer help themselves, be it by old or truly disabled. Until then stop wondering at this, what do you expect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Look at the job fields that are the worst paid, and where workers put in the most amount of work (usually physical). Retail, Food industries are the worst paid IMO; then you have to consider say graphic designers who have 4 years of college, and instead of making over $30k which is listed as minimum in most states, they are offered less than $15/Hr, and usually $10 an hour in Florida. Why should a graphic designer make $9 in Florida and $50 in NYC to do the same job???

THEN.....Take into account families...families with both parents working, and families with one parent working cause the other can't find a job that pays enough to JUSTIFY going to work in the first place, because at $7 an hour I can't afford gas, food, daycare and supplies, clothes and shoes and toilet paper.....

See the problem, the way I see it, is that employers don't look at prices much these days...so they don't know what it is like to afford milk at $4 a gallon when paid $7, 8, 9, 10 an hour...or $5,69 for lactose free which some of us are doomed too........they pay the employees for supposedly "what they're worth" to them personally, and NOT based on the persons qualifications be it customer service, or Photoshop, or TurboTax, which is insulting because ALL 4 year degree'd graphic designers learned the same thing...and end up paying them wages with disregard to what THINGS COST! Of course if I was a freshly graduated person living at home with my parents, I could care less about my wages, but this mind set needs to change, because someone that is a recent graduate has acquired a SKILL SET, that skill set needs to be paid accordingly and not whatever "X" employer feels like because "X" employer thinks he can buy Photoshop and do it himself", if that were the case, then do it, and don't be insulting to MY education and what I am qualified to do. They say how a bachelor/master degree is an investment, but in fact it isn't because we never get our money back in the work world. Not even close. People have to post pone buying homes, and having families BECAUSE they can't get rid of loans fast enough at these ridiculous insulting wages.

Then, you might have a mom with 3 kids who recently graduated the same 4 year college with the same bachelor's in Graphic Design and she needs a job that will not only pay for food, but also pay her loans back, and save for college for her kids, or incidentals, and buy food, and pay for daycare....now if ALL employers would pay the same $25/Hr for this graphic designer job, and not choose the recent graduate that they can screw out of money under the "has no experience, he's young, blah, blah, crap", then both these categories would be able to survive without welfare. But that's not what happens now. If you post a job for something, that means you don't know how to do it yourself, and you need me, if you want me, you have to consider that I eat, drink, need a home, (buy or rent), I need gas to get to work, and clothes...if you take all that out of the account you get angry people roaming all over, and employers get a bad reputation, which today, i don't think it can get any worst...IMO.

BUT, If milk was $2 a gallon, everywhere in the "United State of A" (emphasis on the UNITED), then everyone could afford it...same goes for gas, bread, corn flakes, cars, houses and so forth...but you have a HUGE disconnect in pricing versus wages and vice versa which leads people straight to welfare!

Why should the SAME gallon of milk cost $4 in Florida and $7 in NYC! (giving an example)?
why does a Chevy Tahoe cost differently, it is the SAME CAR, same milk from the same cow.....here's a paradox..."Florida's Orange Juice" is not coming to Floridians from Florida directly as it should be, it has to go to INDIANA(God knows why) BEFORE it returns to Florida at double the price it should cost. WHY? waste gas to take it to Indiana, when you can process it here, and use a train=electric, to transport it through the state? why use tractor trailer trucks to take things all over when trains can do it without polluting this world, and are cheaper to operate as they don't depend on foreign oil?

There are a lot of things wasted here that end up increasing the cost to the consumer...stop that, and then you may make a small change...

OR: When advertising minimum wage jobs RESTRICT them to teens living at home with parents; that way that little they make can go towards their college education, and make all these retail/food chain jobs for them ONLY. They don't have families to support, so it could work for them in that circumstance, but when you have employees working at Target for 10 years and in ten years they still make $8 an hour...what do you expect? those people want a house too, and a family, and so forth...why should they be screwed out of it?

It is a catch for sure...but it all falls back to understanding the JOB itself, and its implications, and not assuming that checking items out is easier than playing around in Word all day, cause its not.

I would give employers the $7 an hour, and see how they like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Don't we all wish this were true. However, if our American employers did indeed begin to pay living wages, they would then have to increase the consumer cost of the products and services they offer - and American's are cheap. We don't want to pay high prices. We demand low prices - it's why places like Walmart and CostCo and Amazon.com are the successful giants that they are. Which is why so many of our jobs have gone overseas to begin with - cheap labor=lower prices that American's are willing to pay.

And ultimately, regardless of how many jobs are available out there and how much employers are willing to pay, there will always be those who refuse to play by the rules. There will always be people looking for freebies.

I don't see a solution, really, aside from becoming better parents and taking it upon ourselves to ensure we raise good, ethically-minded, hard-working, educated human beings. As long as we have American parents raising future generations of Americans in such a way that makes them feel entitled to things for doing little to no real work for those things, we will have a broken welfare system.
This^^^.

I got into a heated discussion last night with a fellow dinner guest about this exact topic. He was complaining about "living wages". I asked him if he really thought a person running a cash register or stocking shelves at Walmart (he brought up the example) was worth $30K a year plus benefits. He went on and on about what it costs to live. He didn't want to hear about the inflation that would be caused if wages were arbitrarily raised, causing the new living wages to be unlivable, and who would end up paying for that.

Yes, we have voted with our wallets. People complain about Walmart but somehow they manage to remain the largest retailer in the world. So apparently not enough of us care so much as to boycott them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top