Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,967,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know about other states but in AZ you have to prove you are totally incapable of working for a full year to get cash benefits. There ARE some single moms who get it BUT those same moms are required to take classes at the local college, work at least part time and the are NOT covered by health insurance. Their kids are, but not them. And the cash benefits aren't that much.
This DISGUSTS me so much!!

Just HOW does the government expect people to survive with NO CASH in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA???!!

I'm not understanding this and I wish MORE Americans were OUTRAGED by this.

If you don't have family to help you, then the only other ways I can see making money is by ILLEGAL MEANS = SURVIVAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,063,024 times
Quote:
Why do you exaggarate so much?? If that were the case they'd probably have to dump a whole lotta people off of food stamps. lol Since MOST of the people I know who get food stamps ALSO hold jobs they can afford their toilet paper and the govt. couldn't give a damn how much of it they use. What do they do, have people visit them all and count the rolls or something??

Oh my...and you think people on food stamps don't worry about the same things you do??
LOL if that were the case, I'd be in BIG trouble I have a wall of TP in my bathroom,that I got basically paid to take out of the store a year ago, and 75 rolls of papertowels

Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Hey, it's okay. I get lots of 'practice' with my own family. lol I don't think the poster believes that welfare fraud is either "good" or "worthy". I certainly don't but neither do I believe that the majority of people practice such either.

I understand that Walmart has had a terrible rep for many things. However it does get my dander up when people outright lie about things like Walmart encouraging/helping their employees apply for govt. benefits. It's just not true.
It's NOT true NOW, but it WAS just five or six years ago.

I really wish you'd stop saying people are LYING when COURT DOCUMENTS show everything I said to be TRUE AND ACCURATE.

If they are no longer practicing these F'd up ways, then good. You need to thank the workers BEFORE you who took them to court for their transgressions in order to make YOUR current working life with them what it is.

The bonuses thing was NEVER done before. I'm glad you've updated me on Walmart's NEW work situation.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Why do you exaggarate so much?? If that were the case they'd probably have to dump a whole lotta people off of food stamps. lol Since MOST of the people I know who get food stamps ALSO hold jobs they can afford their toilet paper and the govt. couldn't give a damn how much of it they use. What do they do, have people visit them all and count the rolls or something??

Oh my...and you think people on food stamps don't worry about the same things you do??
Oh goodness!! I was being sarcastic with the toilet paper comment!

Foodstamp holders cannot go above a certain wage amount for either themselves or their families. If they do, their stamps get reduced or cut off entirely. The FOODSTAMP PROGRAM is different from WELFARE.

People on WELFARE (meaning those getting CASH BENEFITS) are at the MERCY and WILL of whatever the government or STATE tells them to do, especially if they're getting most of their housing paid for the by government.

This is FACT.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Does she have a stockpile? The stockpile is kind of the key. Once you get one established, then you only really have to cherry pick the good deals, because you have most of what you need and you're just keeping it to a certain level.
You can't be brand loyal though.
What's a stockpile?

You can PM me if you don't want to say it here.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,826,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This DISGUSTS me so much!!

Just HOW does the government expect people to survive with NO CASH in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA???!!

I'm not understanding this and I wish MORE Americans were OUTRAGED by this.

If you don't have family to help you, then the only other ways I can see making money is by ILLEGAL MEANS = SURVIVAL.
With all the stories of welfare fraud I think the rules have become much more stringent. If a person is able bodied, CAN hold a job, they are required to do so. They get help until that time though. I don't think most handicapped people are denied monetary help and that "handicap" can be mental or physical. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who don't even try for it and there are others who do but maybe have a few $$s to much to qualify. They don't count your home, your car or even a certain amount in savings.

I had to apply for food stamps once, after being out of work for nine months and going through nearly all my savings. The process is long and requires more documents than anything I've ever applied for in my life. They even want your ORIGINAL birth cert.. Luckily I just happen to have mine, as old and worn as it is. They take your pic and fingerprint you as well. Oh yeah, it's a real joy applying for govt. assistance.

It's because of all this I really wonder how illegal aliens can meet all those requirements. If they can pay out the big bucks to get fake 'stuff' they have enough they don't NEED govt. assistance. Not to mention the big bucks it costs them to get here in the first place. But that's a whole other topic...

Poverty has always encouraged crime, no doubt about it. But it's just one option people can choose from too. I've lived on the edge of, or in, poverty a good deal of my adult life...mostly as sigle woman...but I haven't resorted to crime to supplement my lifestyle. I have options...

Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Oh goodness!! I was being sarcastic with the toilet paper comment!

Foodstamp holders cannot go above a certain wage amount for either themselves or their families. If they do, their stamps get reduced or cut off entirely. The FOODSTAMP PROGRAM is different from WELFARE.

People on WELFARE (meaning those getting CASH BENEFITS) are at the MERCY and WILL of whatever the government or STATE tells them to do, especially if they're getting most of their housing paid for the by government.

This is FACT.
Sorry...didn't see your 'joking' emoticon! lol

I fully understand the difference between food stamps and welfare and their requirements. Like I say, I may be old but I ain't stupid.

My mom gets food stamps. For the past couple of years it's been about $117. This month they lopped off $40 but she's not sure why. She gets them to supplement her $650 mo. SS. I'm glad I live in her guest house and pay rent. It's helps her out a bunch. And lucky for her she owns her home, outright, paid cash for it and her car is old but owned as well. She still has to pay car/home insurance, property taxes...although those are greatly reduced due to her age/circumstances, utilities and all the expenses that go with a home. So, she will now get $77 a month. I hope the govt. doesn't go broke! I have always shared a lot with her and my mom will never starve...unless we both go down together!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,063,024 times
Quote:
What's a stockpile?

You can PM me if you don't want to say it here.
Here's a link to WUC and one of the user's stockpile pics., so you can get an idea
You can look around and get info on how to stockpile and coupon

Junkymonkey's First Ever Stockpile Pics - WeUseCoupons.com

You will have to sign up first (it's free ) to see them

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
With all the stories of welfare fraud I think the rules have become much more stringent. If a person is able bodied, CAN hold a job, they are required to do so. They get help until that time though. I don't think most handicapped people are denied monetary help and that "handicap" can be mental or physical. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who don't even try for it and there are others who do but maybe have a few $$s to much to qualify. They don't count your home, your car or even a certain amount in savings.

I had to apply for food stamps once, after being out of work for nine months and going through nearly all my savings. The process is long and requires more documents than anything I've ever applied for in my life. They even want your ORIGINAL birth cert.. Luckily I just happen to have mine, as old and worn as it is. They take your pic and fingerprint you as well. Oh yeah, it's a real joy applying for govt. assistance.
Most states will take the regular birth certificate and not the longform one. AZ is the ONLY state in the union that still fingerprints people for foodstamps. The Feds have already said this is unnecessary, because they already have things in place where committing fraud is not easy, if it ever was. NYC was the only jurisdiction in the entire state of NY still fingerprinting as well until Governor Cuomo put a stop to it. He, like the Feds, said it was unnecessary and blocks people from getting the help they need.

I also have my longform birth certificate as well. It still looks somewhat new. It's way more detailed than the shortform.

Quote:
Poverty has always encouraged crime, no doubt about it. But it's just one option people can choose from too. I've lived on the edge of, or in, poverty a good deal of my adult life...mostly as sigle woman...but I haven't resorted to crime to supplement my lifestyle. I have options...
I agree, it's about CHOICE, but still... people need CASH to survive. Foostamps alone is not gonna cut it.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It's NOT true NOW, but it WAS just five or six years ago.

I really wish you'd stop saying people are LYING when COURT DOCUMENTS show everything I said to be TRUE AND ACCURATE.

If they are no longer practicing these F'd up ways, then good. You need to thank the workers BEFORE you who took them to court for their transgressions in order to make YOUR current working life with them what it is.

The bonuses thing was NEVER done before. I'm glad you've updated me on Walmart's NEW work situation.
That's ALL I've been trying to say! And since it's NOT true now why do people keep putting out there that it IS. I certainly DO thank the workers before me who fought to get what we have now. Never said otherwise. I too have probably helped people get better things from their employers over my many years in the workforce.

Those court documents are not new things. They are old things. Yes, I know there are "new" things coming up all the time but that doesn't mean they really are 'bad' things. People love to complain. I guess it adds something to their life, I dunno. I'm not a complainer myself.

Bonuses have been given for a long time here. At least ten years according to co workers who've been there that long. We were talking about it just yesterday since our bonus will be coming on our Dec. 6th check. They used to only be given out once a year and totaled about $1,000 per worker. Since they went to the quarterly bonus we actually get more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates