Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Good for them...if it is.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
I am curious, do you get just as angry at the men who are not supporting for those kids that "welfare queens" (what a nasty term) bear and then have to somehow raise? Do you support abortion rights, so that if women get pregnant with children they can't afford, they can abort them and not become the "welfare queens" that you are so mad at? And do you get just as angry at corporate welfare?

I am by no means a bleeding heart liberal, and I wish everyone would THINK before having kids they can't afford, but that includes men as well as women. And I also wish people who complain about "welfare queens" would look at peer-reviewed scholarship on welfare recipients, which dispels so many myths that are out there (like they have more kids than anyone else, they have more kids to get more dollars, they are on welfare for generations, etc. -- for MOST welfare recipients, NONE of these are true).

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
I seriously doubt it. Not only Wal-Mart but other big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot, the only way you're getting cash back is if you payed for it with cash in the first place.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post

I would hope not but I've heard of welfare types buying cheap soft drinks because the food stamps pays for the can or bottle deposit, then they pour out the drinks to get the cash refunds on the cans. Then they can buy cigarettes or beer.

Any system that allows people to choose never to work but lay around expecting free money and free stuff is going to be abused.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
This thread is so ridiculous on so many counts…
“Welfare Queens?” I agree with the other poster stated that good family planning is one way to cut down on Public Aid…
It is not just dead beat dads..it is also VICTIMS of DOMESTIC Violence,..
You know the wives of men they married that belong to the corporate world, they have never had their own “Money” Been led to live under the guise that a womans place is in the home raising the kids…
Once the victim decides that enough is enough and flee with their kids with the clothes on their back? Need support and away from the abuse..
AND THESE class of women now belong to the “Welfare Queen” status? Really? Please! I can state this because I have worked these women, wives of lawyers, doctors, CEO’S…
Yes there is some public aid abuse however the way things are here in Ca., qualifying is getting harder and harder to do even if one is receiving SSDI..
You do know that these people whom are really disabled due to being in combat are on SSDI and do receive food stamps right? And yet they fought for your right to spew this rhetoric right? Well if you did not? Now you do..

Before you decide to begin a thread like this? I suggest you do hard core research , and this is not just clicking on the first blog, made up thread on some bogus extremist site and so forth but an actual credible site that is not bias to any party…
Yes, it can be done and I suggest you try it…

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
[quote=eRayP;27031845]We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?[/quote

I work for Walmart and I don't see things like this happening. Those carts full of 'stuff' at customer service are things that people have left at the register for one reason or another. They didn't have enough money, they decided they didn't want it after all, etc.. So, what you say is NOT true.

I'm sure there are SOME people who will abuse welfare but I'd be willing to bet they are in the minority. Most people would rather not have to have it and would much rather have a job and take care of their own. Hopefully you will never be in their position.

People are really bad about making assumptions about others. Shame on them...and you for perpetuating nasty 'rumors'.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Walmart notes returns and you only get to do a couple without a receipt. After that the computer tells them this is your third return or whatever in a year and they become much more questioning and treat what you're doing with a bit of suspicion. Based on what I've seen, I think your story is BS.

Years ago, some of my legal practice involved collections law. Some of the poor, used to write bad checks and that was a problem. You know what? They can't do it anymore. Few merchants will take checks. Abuses that poor people commit are being dealt with.

Like some others here, I do think some people are unduly fixated on the poor. Well-to-do people abuse this system in far worse ways. No one ever seems to argue that the well-to-do ought to be "means-tested" before they claim Medicare benefits. A certain presidential candidate receives 48% of the popular vote after bragging about paying a meager 14% tax rate on $10 million of income in one year. We have wealthy farmers and agri-business who receive huge subsidies NOT to grow crops every year. We even give subsidies to tobacco farmers. Than there are the "banksters" who got billions of dollars in loans from this country to keep their institutions on their feet after making hordes of bad financial decisions.

Many people abuse this system. Please don't just "cherry pick" and stereotype the ones you don't like.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
IF employers would pay living wages, welfare would be restricted to those who can no longer help themselves, be it by old or truly disabled. Until then stop wondering at this, what do you expect?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
How about the corporate welfare abuse like BP and GE to name just two? Is that “welfare abuse”? Instead of looking at the nickel and dime welfare look at the Big Billions of Corporate welfare for a change……..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates