Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

The debate has been going on a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ternps0JFwo

Old 11-08-2015, 03:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Moderator cut: Off Topic

Reynard, why is it that you avoid any comment about the Washington State law regarding background checks for EVERY firearm transaction? A little alethophobia on your part, perhaps? Can't handle the FACT that the law, since passed, has accomplished absolutely NOTHING?

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-11-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Reynard, why is it that you avoid any comment about the Washington State law regarding background checks for EVERY firearm transaction? A little alethophobia on your part, perhaps? Can't handle the FACT that the law, since passed, has accomplished absolutely NOTHING?
Why would I comment about that which I have not supported? Your desperate search for some new topic to deflect off into will need to continue. Meanwhile, there will be another 30,000 gun-related deaths in this country this year. When will you decide to do something about THAT?

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-11-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 08:13 PM

"Why would I comment about that which I have not supported?"

Oh, please...
It is EXACTLY the same law that you have repeatedly touted on this thread! It requires a background check for ANY firearms transfer, EVEN LOANS WITHIN FAMILIES!
That is EXACTLY what you have been demanding!
This just proves that you haven't a clue about whether a law is worth anything or not, you are just like so many other antis, you just want a law, any law, to show that SOMETHING is being done! It doesn't matter if the law is effective or not, just pass a law, and do it NOW!
Yes, I would like to see something done about the killings. I would like to see something done to EFFECTIVELY keep guns out of the hands of mental defectives (IMO, ANY person who sets out to kill another person without government sanctions is MENTALLY DEFECTIVE!).
It is well known that background checks DO NOT WORK! Several of the shooters over the last couple of years PASSED THE BACKGROUND CHECK when they bought the guns that they used! The Navy Yard shooter was one of them!
Yes, I hate the killing. Yes, I would like to see something done about it. BUT what I do NOT want is some "feel good" laws that will accomplish little or nothing! There are already too many of those laws on the books, we don't need more of them. In fact, some of the so-called "gun control laws" are so useless they should be repealed!
How many prosecutions have there been in the last couple of years for making a false statement on the background check form? I'm not sure, but I think the answer is NONE! that does not mean no false statements have been made, it means there is another law with no teeth in it! No enforcement means it is a useless law. BUT, YOU want to expand it!

By the way, you are making demands of the wrong people. If you want a law passed, you should be lobbying YOUR Senators and Representatives, DEMANDING that they pass the law YOU want! You should be circulating petitions to get others who agree with you to sign up and DEMAND the law be passed! Are you doing that? If not, you are just another dilettante, whining abut your perceived inequities but not willing to actually DO anything!
In other words, completely useless.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, please...It is EXACTLY the same law that you have repeatedly touted on this thread!
I have not touted any laws at all on this thread. I have only told of the severity of the problems and asked what gun-"advocates" in particular would be willing to do or see done as an actual means of reducing the horrible toll of gun-related death and mayhem that we all suffer from in this country every year.

And of course you've still offered me EXACTLY NOTHING on that front. These piñata-like "mental defectives" of yours are after all identifiable only the day AFTER they have committed some horrible gun-crime. That's when you will claim that all the signs were there, and that liberals just missed them somehow. The day BEFORE the slaughter, you protect them like newborns -- right-honorable, law-abiding citizen gun owners whose Constitutional rights the founders have commanded us to protect with all our energies. Such a lot of transparent, shameful, duplicitous swill. The situation on the ground here is that you are NOT WILLING to do or see done anything at all that would actually help to reduce the levels of damage that your precious little guns do to society at large. This is because of one simple fact that you might as well wear on your sleeve -- YOU JUST DON'T CARE.

Quote:
By the way, you are making demands of the wrong people.
Correction: It is YOU PEOPLE who are the problem, as has been demonstrated now across more than 550 posts. There are Americans being killed and maimed by the tens of thousands every year. Men and women. Young and old. Rich and poor. And YOU JUST DON'T CARE. That's the problem. YOU JUST DON'T CARE.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 AM

189 posts, read 153,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I have not touted any laws at all on this thread. I have only told of the severity of the problems and asked what gun-"advocates" in particular would be willing to do or see done as an actual means of reducing the horrible toll of gun-related death and mayhem that we all suffer from in this country every year.

And of course you've still offered me EXACTLY NOTHING on that front. These piñata-like "mental defectives" of yours are after all identifiable only the day AFTER they have committed some horrible gun-crime. That's when you will claim that all the signs were there, and that liberals just missed them somehow. The day BEFORE the slaughter, you protect them like newborns -- right-honorable, law-abiding citizen gun owners whose Constitutional rights the founders have commanded us to protect with all our energies. Such a lot of transparent, shameful, duplicitous swill. The situation on the ground here is that you are NOT WILLING to do or see done anything at all that would actually help to reduce the levels of damage that your precious little guns do to society at large. This is because of one simple fact that you might as well wear on your sleeve -- YOU JUST DON'T CARE.

Correction: It is YOU PEOPLE who are the problem, as has been demonstrated now across more than 550 posts. There are Americans being killed and maimed by the tens of thousands every year. Men and women. Young and old. Rich and poor. And YOU JUST DON'T CARE. That's the problem. YOU JUST DON'T CARE.
I can agree with you on that.. We don't care.
we don't give a damn about you or your politics , so whats next ?
start a war, I can say this much it about. you'll loose, cause we have guns.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheissue View Post
We have to make sure those hood rats won't have easy access to guns like they do have now, ruining our cities and our neighborhoods.

If this involves drastic measures such as gun-banning in the US, so be it.
Yeah, the alcohol ban and the War on Drugs worked so well, didn't they!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 AM

189 posts, read 153,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheissue View Post
We have to make sure those hood rats won't have easy access to guns like they do have now, ruining our cities and our neighborhoods.

If this involves drastic measures such as gun-banning in the US, so be it.
firearms will never be banned in the united states. Period.

I know its very upsetting for you emotional gun grabbers to hear that little piece of knowledge, but
its never going to happen.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Off topic. Imagine that.
Comparing banning guns to the Prohibition Amendment (which did not work) and the war on drugs (which has not worked) is "off topic"?

If so, the post that called for banning guns must be off topic, too!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Comparing banning guns to the Prohibition Amendment (which did not work) and the war on drugs (which has not worked) is "off topic"?
Yes, it is irrelevant. Hundreds of things have been banned at one point or another. None of them is relevant here. The one and only question that is relevant here is how to reduce the harm done by guns in this country. Try to focus on that, as you've made no progress at all on it to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.