Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

Suicide is legal. After all, ever see anyone arrested for committing suicide. The problem with assisted suicide, is that elderly, infirm, handicapped people could be "persuaded" to sign forms so that someone else can kill them. Once this starts, the move will be on to clean up dependents that are costing society a lot of money. Ever seen the movie Soyent Green, staring Charleton Heston. In that movie, people who reached a certain age were encouraged to kill themselves for "the good of society." I think its Brave New World, where people reach a certain age are automatically killed. Don't think it can't happen. People are evil. Taking restraints off them will get you more evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM

918 posts, read 816,969 times
Default Works for Me......Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
"Your life is yours alone, and no one should be able to force you to live."
(minor typo corrected)

A forward-thinking fellow once had a great credo. It said...Question everything. Unfortunately we live in a state (former great nation) where the idiots among us have handed over virtually ALL THEIR RIGHTS to the GOOBERMENT! So now that same GOOBERMENT of politicians of every stripe and all cloaked in the cloth of rascals, tells us what we can an cannot do by making it law. The late, great Jimmy Durante would have exasperatedly slapped himself and exclaimed..."What a revoltin' development dis is!".

"The next to last chapter in "The Book of Our Demise" is titled "Letting the Government Assume Our Personal Responsibilities."

Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Why not? How about a NP, or PA? Would that be ok? A doctor would be best able to use a method that would be both successful and with the least amount of pain. In other words, best able to let the person die with dignity. Instead they have to put a gun to their head, which might not be successful, and is messy and traumatic for those who find them. Or pills, they have to OD pills not meant to kill which can be a slow, painful death, if successful. Or jump in front of train, or hang themselves, etc. All gruesome, violent, and degrading. Why put someone who is already suffering so much they want to end it, through more suffering to accomplish it? This makes virtually no sense whatsoever.
Agreed. What's NP or PA?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
It's NOT murder. You really need to look that word up.

Murder is the taking the life of someone against their will. You know... they don't want to give it up. Kind of like theft. You can't be accused of stealling my TV if I'm asking your to take it, now can you?

Starman....murder is not just taking the life of someone against their will, it is: "the intentional and unlawful killing of a human being"....

Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Suicide is legal. After all, ever see anyone arrested for committing suicide. The problem with assisted suicide, is that elderly, infirm, handicapped people could be "persuaded" to sign forms so that someone else can kill them. Once this starts, the move will be on to clean up dependents that are costing society a lot of money. Ever seen the movie Soyent Green, staring Charleton Heston. In that movie, people who reached a certain age were encouraged to kill themselves for "the good of society." I think its Brave New World, where people reach a certain age are automatically killed. Don't think it can't happen. People are evil. Taking restraints off them will get you more evil.
That is a fact, but I believe there are more good than evil, within the populace. You make a good point, but that is why we would have checks and balances. If you wish, we could have a video before and after, whatever it takes to allow people less suffering is what we should do. We cannot outlaw everything because some may abuse that right. Freedom and liberty to decide ones destiny is what needs the utmost protection. If unable to make that choice, then others will have to be allowed to make that choice for you - in the individuals best interest, not that of the state or the collective.
And we cannot pretend affordability is not a factor, it is. We cannot continue to pay millions to keep a body alive, that has little hope of improvement. (that is where the state would have an objective interest, as opposed to letting faith and hope prevail.
There was a man that wished to die sooner than later, because he wanted to leave his daughter his savings, instead of losing everything he had built in a lifetime to pay for treatments that would only extend the inevitable.

I think that's a good enough reason right there. Why should people be forced to provide the state with all their savings, home, etc., against their will?

Last edited by claudhopper; 01-22-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Suicide lives in a gray territory of legality. It's classically illegally, but because it's unenforceable, no one is really prosecuted for it.

Your slippery slopes aside, Washington's law has a means to control for the unsound mind. A formal request has to be made--twice, and two doctors have to sign off on it. People can already persuade others into killing themselves, and it doesn't require legalization of assisted suicide to do it.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'm going to assume they didn't give their consent, because they were incapable of doing so, others closest to you, along with doctors, will make decisions on your behalf. Your relative doesn't have free license to kill you. You are painting an unrealistic picture out of fear.
If your caregiver is trying to kill you, or abuse you, and you allow that to continue without complaint, then that is on you. They would then have to convince a team of doctors to kill you against your will - not going to happen.
I don't think my fear is unreasonable claudhopper, nor unrealistic...I mean just look at all the victims of society already who were tried, convicted and sent to jail....only to years later be found innocent...Why do you blame an elder for "allowing abuse", and not complaining about it, yet see it as alright that someone else takes his life? Don't you think that this same abused elder could also suffer an unwanted death?(especially if he's been declared incompetent and has lost his power of attorney) ..At first it would be " a team of doctors", but for how long before that changes. Once the foot is in the door (so to speak) that "door" could end up wide open.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Starman....murder is not just taking the life of someone against their will, it is: "the intentional and unlawful killing of a human being"....
Logically, murder requires both intent and unlawful. It's a purely legal definition, and we readily make exceptions for people to kill others, notably in self-defense and in war.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
and the law allows for exceptions, such as self-defense, police actions, the military, death penalty etc. Life, liberty and happiness - liberty and happiness of their choice, not yours.
If someone was going to be tortured, let's say by enemy combatants, and begged you to kill him before they take him away - what would you do? The idea is that he is injured and can't escape with you.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I'm for it. I have COPD and struggling to draw that last breath with no hope of the next being any better does not appeal to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates