Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
And Helen Keller had a personal assistant that devoted her life to caring for her.....actually lived with her.....spent her whole life with her....loved and cared about her.

She did not have to hire numerous health care workers to take care of her as many of us would have to do.

If I were to become blind and deaf, I would lose my home and my pets. I would end up intstitutionalized once my money ran out. No thanks.

Look at Christopher Reeve....he had family and money to afford the best of care.....versus those of us who would end up in an instituional setting getting minimal care.

You can't take one person's circumstance and project that onto all others who are in that situation.

Have you ever been to a nursing home? Have you seen the ones who lay in their beds all day.....waiting for someone to feed them, waiting for someone to change their diapers, waiting for someone to bathe them? Ever heard the screamers....ya know....the ones that just moan and scream ALL DAY long? Those with no family? Just one horrible day after horrible day after horrible day....just existing?

If you want to exist that way....you are more than welcome to do so.....but why on earth do you want to force others, who do not feel the same way you do, to do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM

918 posts, read 816,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I think you are most likely a decent individual, but you are also naive.

Society isn't as you perceive it. You may be decent and may care about others, but most people don't. I live in the real world. It's a brutal place. I see why many people buckle and decide to end it. I salute them for being brave enough to give society the middle finger.
WOW! Did you ever misread me. I own two shotguns, one rifle, one crossbow and two handguns and I ain't too friggin' naive neighbor.

One can "live in the real world" and I do and still understand the origins of psychological depression and separate those from the drug-addicted, violent losers among us. In case you didn't know it, there ARE very decent folks who sink into fits of depression as simple victim's of life's circumstances who with a little recognition and understanding can be led to REAL help. That was the entire point of my extended comments. If you think that makes me some kind of "softy" it doesn't bother me, because I KNOW I'm right. Life's a tuff struck 'n fuggle a my old man used to say. Some can bounce back from hard luck and bad times, some can't or don't.

You took off running with an *ss-sumption that is totally incorrect when you said that...
Quote:
Society isn't as you perceive it.
...when you don't know how I perceive it, not really. Then you said...
Quote:
You may be decent and may care about others, but most people don't. I live in the real world. It's a brutal place. I see why many people buckle and decide to end it.
Guess what friend? I live in that same world. NY is no bed of roses or walk in the park. I see and have dealt with all manner of sh*t and lowlifes here and I'm 74 and still work despite multiple health issues. Not in the real world huh! One thing I'd never do though.

I'd never "salute them for being brave enough to give society the middle finger" by offing themselves. It's a coward's exit. That's for damn sure.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That is not true. You need to review some youtube videos of people seeking the right to die painlesssly.
Should I source some for you?

I have read that refusing nourishment, food and liquids, is not the worst way to go, assuming the person is quite ill to begin with. But would they allow that? We all saw what happened in Florida.
No need to claudhopper, I'm quite capable, and I still would never advocate for any suicide assisted laws...and I stand firm in my belief that it's wrong to help someone kill themselves...That is what I believe, my opinion, sorry if that offends anyone....please try to keep your insults towards me (just because I feel differently than you do) MrRational to a minimum.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Contradictory post. On the one hand, you say "no one is stopping you from choosing a painless exit", but on the other hand, there is no such thing as a painless exit if one is forced to resort to committing suicide. You are basically forcing people to choose either a life of pain and/or misery with no hope of improvement or a risk and painful exit.
Absolutely ridiculous..Why do you think that only a doctor can give you a painless death, what makes you think that if a doctor helps you commit suicide it'll be painless, but if you do it on your own it won't?..I'm not forcing anyone to live a life of pain and misery just because I don't believe a doctor should be there to end it for them...

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
What's the difference between killing myself and hiring someone to kill me?
That's easy...one involves YOU, and is personal....... and the other means involving someone else to do the dirty work.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Absolutely ridiculous..Why do you think that only a doctor can give you a painless death, what makes you think that if a doctor helps you commit suicide it'll be painless, but if you do it on your own it won't?..I'm not forcing anyone to live a life of pain and misery just because I don't believe a doctor should be there to end it for them...
And if a doctor agrees to help people commit suicide via euthanasia...?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Assisted suicide is not murder because the person WANTS to die.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Mayge because doctors have access to drugs that I don't have access to?

Have you ever watched a pet being euthanized? Pretty peaceful for them......as compared to blowing their brains out, hanging them or throwing them off a bridge or in front of a train.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
That's easy...one involves YOU, and is personal....... and the other means involving someone else to do the dirty work.
But the end result is the same, is it not? My wanted death?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
And if that "someone else", a doctor, believes that helping someone end a life of agony...... in a dignified, peaceful manner......is a compassionate thing to do.....what business is that of yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates