Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,515,664 times

Advertisements

I have a friend under 30 years of age who has never asked a girl out before face to face. He usually meets women at the club, they exchange numbers, and he uses Facebook or a text message to ask them out! I know the trend for all ages is to incorporate certain websites to find a "soul mate, " but am I missing something.

My daughter has planned an evening on the town all by using various websites. Does anybody actually meet someone, call them on the phone, and then ask them out?

What is this doing to our social skills? Which method do you prefer for yourself and your loved ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,515,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I have a friend under 30 years of age who has never asked a girl out before face to face. He usually meets women at the club, they exchange numbers, and he uses Facebook or a text message to ask them out! I know the trend for all ages is to incorporate certain websites to find a "soul mate, " but am I missing something.

My daughter has planned an evening on the town all by using various websites. Does anybody actually meet someone, call them on the phone, and then ask them out?

What is this doing to our social skills? Which method do you prefer for yourself and your loved ones?
I really don't see how it affects social skills. It is just another way to meet people. You have to meet them, get to know them and like them in order to date them. It's not like you literally date online. I've done it and like it just fine.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,295,980 times
Scary thought if there is blackout for an extended period of time. Whole lotta social ineptitude with no outlet! I had to learn the old school way, face to face, trial and error, shot down or got the digits.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM

24,310 posts, read 17,047,712 times
With the fast paced world of today it can be difficult to meet someone the old fashioned way so why not use all the tools available to help you. I have a 48 year old sister in law that lives on her Iphone- facebook etc... and that is how she connects with people though it can be a bit annoying when she is over and we are trying ot have a conversation with her but she is more engaged with whoever is on the other end of her texting. I also have nieces and a nephew that seem to live on facebook and it is how they make plans and meet up then share photos the next day.
I know it is crazy and I'm glad I'm married and don't need ot play those games anymore.
What will the dating scene be like in another 10 years?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,515,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
With the fast paced world of today it can be difficult to meet someone the old fashioned way so why not use all the tools available to help you. I have a 48 year old sister in law that lives on her Iphone- facebook etc... and that is how she connects with people though it can be a bit annoying when she is over and we are trying ot have a conversation with her but she is more engaged with whoever is on the other end of her texting. I also have nieces and a nephew that seem to live on facebook and it is how they make plans and meet up then share photos the next day.
I know it is crazy and I'm glad I'm married and don't need ot play those games anymore.
What will the dating scene be like in another 10 years?
Stone Age, Machine Age, Technology/Information Age... times incrementally do change! What will be next?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 7 days ago)

43,440 posts, read 44,156,996 times
I think social media is a good way to introduce oneself and then later set up a real life meeting with the other person.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM

21,059 posts, read 19,559,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Does anybody actually meet someone, call them on the phone, and then ask them out?
I bet when the telephone first became common, the old folks couldn't believe that young people would actually have the audacity to ask someone out over the phone.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM

408 posts, read 722,516 times
What ever happened to clubbing a potential mate over the head and dragging her back to your cave?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,264,898 times
People want to know more and more about each other without actual time spent together. They want to see your pictures, who you hang out with, where you are, what your wearing, who your friends with, what movies you like..

All these things that could just be figured out over conversation. But no one wants to talk to get that info out of you, its like a quick background check on someone....being nosey without being, well nosey.

I feel like younger people like me have all this built up fear of talking to someone face to face. Because anyone could be a serial killer or a rapist or something....Blame the media for making everyone so paranoid.. They glorify everything bad and its ruining society.

Attention span is near non existent with all this rapid news feed and saturation I find it somewhat sickening.

When someone is arranging an event on FB or something, its instant, its easier, and the format is simple and mostly everyone has it and knows how to use it. I dodnt expect my buddies to call me or send a letter to my house when they have a show to play in NYC. They just send out an event thing on FB and all of their friends get the notice. So in some situations its easier to organize things....

But the bad part is it forces everyone to comply with how social media and such is put out there for people to see, its like if you dont have FB to find out about things...your just going to be left out. It really stinks because Im not exactly for any of this stuff, im more face to face right now in person, I cant stand even talking on the phone.

as for finding a date online- I have used dating websites to meet women... I consider this "expanding my resources" and I do not depend on it. Nothing compares to being out there in the world and meeting someone face to face and going with it and seeing what happens. Theres nothing quite like that feeling when evreything goes well

Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
I met my wife almost 15 years ago online. I would have never actually ran into her otherwise. I'm now 51 and we have been married 13 years.

I'm old enough to have done it the old fashioned way the first time around. Online was so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates