Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
You're sensitive because I gave Africans credit. Why you so jealous and hateful? I admire the value that many of them have for marriage.
But that's my point....they don't value marriage any more than the next person.
No comment on the caribbean and african men who cheat,and the wives that look the other way. Why?
Comment on it,because those cultures believe a woman shouldn't question a man's whereabouts.
How do I know? I gave the reason 3 pages ago.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Nigerians and Indians are neck and neck for the most colorful, beautiful ceremonies...

Laura & Martin's Nigerian wedding dance - YouTube
He will,of course sleep with other women,because the wife would look the other way.
Nothing to see here folks.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Funny how all of these people are getting so butt hurt over this thread and claiming it to be nothing but a "stereotype". Then they give us an example of a married black couple "they know" and show us pictures from a hundred years acting like it's the norm and the rule when it's just the exception. Stereotypes are also usually based off of the truth, they don't just pop in out of thin air.

Seems like you people just want to ignore the problems in the black community by bashing anyone who questions the community, claiming that everyone is being racist or just "stereotyping", dig your heads in the sand and keep things going the way they are.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
The fault in this thread lies in the way the question was originally posed. By stating that blacks don't "value marriage," it opened it up to a subjective discussion. No one can definitely state that the black community does or does not "value marriage" without agreeing on the definition of the term "value" and the way it can be measured. The OP assumes that we will all agree that the rate of out of wedlock birth is the appropriate measure. Clearly, we do not.

Instead, the question should have been "why do blacks give birth out of wedlock at a higher rate than other races?" Then we could have discussed potential causes and had a more productive discussion.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Funny how all of these people are getting so butt hurt over this thread and claiming it to be nothing but a "stereotype". Then they give us an example of a married black couple "they know" and show us pictures from a hundred years acting like it's the norm and the rule when it's just the exception. Stereotypes are also usually based off of the truth, they don't just pop in out of thin air.

Seems like you people just want to ignore the problems in the black community by bashing anyone who questions the community, claiming that everyone is being racist or just "stereotyping", dig your heads in the sand and keep things going the way they are.

Bottom line: If you are not Black (or married to a Black person)then you really need to mind your own business.

It is ridiculous that everyone feels the need to comment on an issue that does not affect them by any measure. Its disingenuous and hypocritical.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Bottom line: If you are not Black (or married to a Black person)then you really need to mind your own business.

It is ridiculous that everyone feels the need to comment on an issue that does not affect them by any measure. Its disingenuous and hypocritical.
Funny.

Tell you what. When I pay my taxes, I'll just tell the Federal government that I'm not going to pay for welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, public housing, Head Start, and the host of educational programs that are designed to mainstream kids from disadvantaged families. After all, it's not my business what happens to these kids, right?

Because parents who choose to have their kids in single-parent households, parents who are too dumb to exercise basic family planning, become dependents on the state in overwhelming numbers. The statistics are simply undeniable on this account. Educational achievement, probability to commit crime, child poverty, health, you name it, are directly tied to the single-parent household issue. The reason for this is simple: Raising children is a team sport, not something that gets subcontracted out to Mom or some other kindly relative while you work a minimum wage job. And for every heartwarming anecdote you find about some single mom raising a child to attend Harvard, there are thousands upon thousands of children who begin life at a distinct disadvantage. While their fates are not sealed when they emerge from the womb, the obstacles they face are much more plentiful than a child who is born into a two-parent household.

To be sure, there are plenty of white children born outside the bounds of a committed relationship. But the proportion in black communities is shocking and, frankly, dispiriting for anyone who actually cares about the economic and social progress of that slice of America. And it has an absolute impact on the economic health of the country in terms of the growth of the welfare state, the Federal government's metastasizing deficit, and our competitiveness in the world economy. Most importantly, it destroys the promise of economic progress for blacks far, far more than the final traces of racism in this country ever will.

I mean, what gives? Birth control is practically free. Everybody knows how babies are made. And having children before you're a fully mature, educated, and self-supporting adult in a secure relationship guarantees a difficult life for child and parent alike, upping the bill to taxpayers in the process. This is no secret. But it's not my business because I'm white? The hell it isn't.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-02-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Instead, the question should have been "why do blacks give birth out of wedlock at a higher rate than other races?" Then we could have discussed potential causes and had a more productive discussion.
Hammer hits nail.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
But that's my point....they don't value marriage any more than the next person.
No comment on the caribbean and african men who cheat,and the wives that look the other way. Why?
Comment on it,because those cultures believe a woman shouldn't question a man's whereabouts.
How do I know? I gave the reason 3 pages ago.
Blah blah blah...just because the Africans you dated chose not to commit to you, doesn't mean they won't commit to anyone. To me, Africans have great marriage traditions. You don't have to like it...but I do. As for Caribbean people, it's hilarious you make sure to throw them in as well...but it's clear you have issues with both based on your comments in the other thread. You're especially jealous of the women...LOL

Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
I don't care, pay attention dumb font, whether or not you appreciate African marriages because African marriages are NOT the measuring stick for true black Americans. You are the one that posted your ridiculous comparisons of Caribbean and Africans as if black Americans aspire to be to like those people. Again projecting your insecurity when you are the desperate one posting videos of African third world marriage ceremonies!! Continue being pressed tribal warrior. You are the dumb font posting videos with nearly each post to prove some tribal point of faux superiority. Good on you tribal warrior. No wonder Africa and the Caribbean are in the shape it's in. infrastructures are in stables, but at least African and Caribbeans have elaborates weddings to cover the stench of failures. No one is aspiring to be like your ilk, especially black Americans. Most of you would stab us in the back up get ahead and have certainly done so. Bask in that puppet. You are as transparent as the racists asking innocent questions about black Americans.
Clearly you have an inferiority complex. No one is making the comparisons that you are stating...try to get a handle on your anger and jealousy. This is what has you so angry?

Quote:
The article states that 73% percent of births are to single mothers, not 80%. It is interesting to note that African immigrants almost always marry & have children within wedlock. Every time you turn around Africans - Nigerians, Ethiopians, Ghanaians, Sudanese - are having a wedding. In fact, the out-of-wedlock birth rate for Africans & other African descended immigrants is 39%. Interestingly, for Hispanic immigrants, the out of wedlock birth rate is 42%

African descendants in general have a different experience in terms of marriage and family structures than may of their African counterparts. Their marital traditions have been broken down over the generations and not enough has been done to build them up again. Compare the out-of wedlock statistic in question with that of Nigeria which is only 6%. Even among African descended populations in the Americas, the out of wedlock birth rates can be extremely high, but common law situations are more common & accepted. Thus children may still grow up with their father or a male figure in their family close by. In the U.S., "Black" American families tend to be more spread out, so growing up without a father or male figure is probably more common.

Not sure why some intend on comparing "Black" Americans & Hispanics because when one looks at Hispanic nations on a whole, there are varying out-of-wedlock birth rates. 73% in El Salvador, 63% in the Dominican Republic, 74% in Colombia and 65% in Puerto Rico.

It's just sad overall. I do hope the families across the U.S. and across the Americas do better in the coming years. Children are suffering...
1. The first comparison is of African/African descended immigrant to Hispanic immigrants to address the comments by Latina7.

2. The next comparison is of Africans to African descents in the Caribbean, Latin American and the United States. That is in order to show the breakdown likely based on experiences of African descendants in the West over the generations. It's not just the African-American community that has had difficulties in this area. You all are NOT the only ethnic group in the diaspora. Once you grasp that you won't make foolish assumptions about what people are comparing or implying.

3. Learn to read and comprehend.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-02-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Blah blah blah...just because the Africans you dated chose not to commit to you, doesn't mean they won't commit to anyone. To me, Africans have great marriage traditions. You don't have to like it...but I do. As for Caribbean people, it's hilarious you make sure to throw them in as well...but it's clear you have issues with both based on your comments in the other thread. You're especially jealous of the women...LOL
You have issues...
I'm doing fine,making 6 figures thank you.
I didn't say they wouldn't commit to me,because they couldn't.
Why? Because they were already married. Get it?

I simply said they don't value marriage like eveyone thinks they do.

Marriage isn't all its cracked up to be.
Because if you had read what I wrote,the problem is that the men aren't working.
If they did get married,but the men remain unemployed,how the heck is that helping the family?
How? Being around isn't enough. I was a child in such a marriage. Father slept around a lot.
That is just as damaging as a single parent household.

I know plenty of immigrant nurses where mom is working 2 jobs,while dad doesn't work at all.
How is that beneficial for the family?

As a side note,I support same sex marriage.
Its funny how these people always say they don't like single parent households,yet they don't support same sex marriage?

I thought 2 parents were better than one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates