U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

6,395 posts, read 11,736,373 times

Advertisements

I am currently undecided and ambivalent for my views. That is kind of surprising for me since I usually specifically know very well my opinions.

I guess for this topic someone could feel all 3 categories of opinions simultaneously and believe there needs to be some revolutionized major changes, slight changes, and some parts staying exactly the same.

Of course, I am sure some would decisively and confidently believe in 1 out of 3 generalized category possibilities, and strongly disagree with 1 or 2 other possibilities.

Also, further describe and explain your views if you believe 1. Society needs to be revolutionized with major changes, 2. Less More Subtle Slight Changes in Society And/OR 3. Staying Exactly The Same For How It Is Right Now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,211,021 times
Are you writing a term paper or something? Just out of curiosity? Society is going to change or evolve from one point to another over time no matter what. I guess it depends on what ends we are moving towards as to how fast I/we would like it to move, if any and if there needs to be major changes, minor changes or no changes.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,042,692 times
I think it depends. Usually it is a mixture of major changes & small changes/victories that make a big difference over time.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM

134 posts, read 173,817 times
I think any approach has its advantages. Revolutionary change benefits from momentum but can be poorly aimed, while incrementalism allows us to correct our mistakes as they happen, but may take a great deal more time. That said, I think that rather than societies needing change, it is much more often mindsets. As soon as there is a shift in the collective mindset, a corresponding change will occur in our actions.

Take, for example, our attitudes on urban form. When people stopped being afraid of the "inner city" in the 90's, cities started growing again and now suburbs are trying to piggyback on the advantages that central cities offer. At the same time, that shift wasn't universal, and I still hear the phrase "inner city" bandied about by my more suburban peers, even in largely irrelevant and at times incongruous context. It's hard to think of a person who refers to a middle class neighborhood in St. Paul as an "inner city" area moving to somewhere similar to that.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,948,614 times
If it's the right thing to do, do it. If a change is needed and will benefit society, why wait? Further delay will only prolong the current deficiencies. Once the plan is crafted, the only consideration should be logistics (such as the time it takes to put up new speed limit signs or for people to enroll in Medicare for All).

As for my own views I think radical change is needed in many areas, so much so that society wouldn't be recognizable in many areas, and overall would look very different. For the sake of brevity I won't say what those changes should be, just that changes should be implemented as soon as it is possible to do so.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,621,764 times
Ithink society and cultures i the US are alot different i different regions and even by lifestyle withi regions. perhpos ural people in the country have more in commn than more urban absed with are nothing alike in most areas.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM

15,454 posts, read 14,063,730 times
Depends on whether the changes are for the better or worse.

One change I would really like to see is texdav using the spellcheck feature and proofreading his posts.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Are you writing a term paper or something? Just out of curiosity? Society is going to change or evolve from one point to another over time no matter what. I guess it depends on what ends we are moving towards as to how fast I/we would like it to move, if any and if there needs to be major changes, minor changes or no changes.
Well, I am college student age and do have to write plenty of long essay papers in recent times. However, not for this topic in particular and while I wrote a specific informative post, that was relatively short in length. I post here for an interest in Great Debates and all of the important topics here.

Society always shows a lot of actions happening all over the place over time, and a perpetual sense of momentum, so that is inevitable for there to be a lack of stagnancy and for a lot of variation and changes in events to be seen.

I believe there is high quality value for people to know what is best for overall society and all of the characteristics and standards related to that.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-09-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I think any approach has its advantages. Revolutionary change benefits from momentum but can be poorly aimed, while incrementalism allows us to correct our mistakes as they happen, but may take a great deal more time. That said, I think that rather than societies needing change, it is much more often mindsets. As soon as there is a shift in the collective mindset, a corresponding change will occur in our actions.

Take, for example, our attitudes on urban form. When people stopped being afraid of the "inner city" in the 90's, cities started growing again and now suburbs are trying to piggyback on the advantages that central cities offer. At the same time, that shift wasn't universal, and I still hear the phrase "inner city" bandied about by my more suburban peers, even in largely irrelevant and at times incongruous context. It's hard to think of a person who refers to a middle class neighborhood in St. Paul as an "inner city" area moving to somewhere similar to that.
Yeah, other than actions it is also about sense of ideas people have and mindset that collaterally influence and affects all of society. Idealism could also be realistic and both don’t have to be separate from each other.

That was a good, intriguing specific example you said for the attitudes that changed on urban form in the past 2 decades. There was also exact revolutionized changes in Entertainment, Lifestyle, Standards of Health, Various Progressive Sociology, Technology, Modernity, International Relations, and Personal Freedom.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,737,119 times
It is a good question by OP.

In America society and cultures seem to be insular.

In history there are religious revolutions, the intellectual revolutions of the renaissance and the reformation, the cultural revolution that accompanied the discovery of the New World.
Political revolutions that have occurred in the last three centuries also.

Although (some) Americans like to think of themselves as revolutionary, or affecting change, it seems to be a microcosm. People only take into account their own "culture" or state in which they live.

I also have thoughts on the distortions of corporate media today, which does not reflect on real society or life at all.

It wasn't as extreme, and polarizing. IMO we are at an interesting time now, where there is much divisiveness but little consensus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates