Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times

Advertisements

I think certain 'types' of intelligence get overvalued since they are the main focus of what is measured in standardized tests. Nothing wrong with the tests per se, they are just not comprehensive. I would defer to the Howard Gardner Theories of Multiple Intelligences.

Howard Gardner: Five Minds for the Future / Ross Institute Summer Academy 2007 - YouTube

To the OP's point about hearing many lament in FB, Internet, et al about 'how stupid people are', these are likely the type who derive an ego boost by pointing out the inabilities of others to make themselves feel 'bigger' / 'smarter'.

Another 'intelligence' I find of interest, is "Emotional Intelligence", which is also analogous to street smarts, school of hard knocks, 'reading people', and "Common sense" i.e. seeing an issue / problem in context with reasonable priority; a very underrated intelligence.

One of the problems in measuring 'types' of intelligence, is the realm in which they are displayed. For example, one benefit of the measure / display of various spatial intelligences in sporting endeavors is they are more highly correlated to tangible measurements and tend to merit based, because of the primary objective - competition / 'winning'.

In the academic realm, I think part of the problem with intelligence is that of 'groupthink' for political reasons i.e. currying favor for tenure, research grants to reinforce worldview of 'funders', etc...

A few quotes that capture the inherent problems of perspective on 'intelligence' in different realms:
Max Planck regarding scientific advancement: "You don't change people's minds, old believers just die off"

An assistant to Thomas Edison recalled this refrain from Edison when a particularly difficult technological problem could not be solved by various highly trained scientific people, "We'll just have to wait around until some amateur solves it".

So, I think what happens is the primary types of intelligence displayed in Mass Media and held up as 'ideals' are often a narrow slice which gets amplified and is overly emphasized to the detriment of showing and respecting the various other 'intelligences'. Couple this with an undue focus on conditioning the masses to be programmable sheep in a consumption driven focused economic model which has no inherent desire for humans to be 'intelligent' consumers and you have an ongoing problem.

“When watching men of power in action it must be always kept in mind that, whether they know it or not, their main purpose is the elimination or neutralization of the independent individual- the independent voter, consumer, worker, owner, thinker- and that every device they employ aims at turning men into a manipulable "animated instrument" which is Aristotle's definition of a slave.”

- Eric Hoffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
IMO, intelligence is undervalued!

What great accomplishment does formal education do to anyone? It has a way of crushing your intelligence, emphasizing the qualities of your left brain, as opposed to the golden qualities of your right brain which spells intelligence! That's one reason education is overemphasized in any country, it keeps people at an intellectual level, rather than an intelligent level, and helps keep the populace under control, turn them into sheep!

There's many highly intelligent people who have barely finished high school, or no high school at all.
It just comes naturally!

So let's not confuse Intellectualism (left brain thinking) from Intelligence (right brain thinking)!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM

563 posts, read 807,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
IMO, intelligence is undervalued!

What great accomplishment does formal education do to anyone? It has a way of crushing your intelligence, emphasizing the qualities of your left brain, as opposed to the golden qualities of your right brain which spells intelligence! That's one reason education is overemphasized in any country, it keeps people at an intellectual level, rather than an intelligent level, and helps keep the populace under control, turn them into sheep!

There's many highly intelligent people who have barely finished high school, or no high school at all.
It just comes naturally!

So let's not confuse Intellectualism (left brain thinking) from Intelligence (right brain thinking)!
I am going have to disagree. Just because one's is extremely intelligent does not provide an excuse for ignorance or foolishness. Also the left side of brain is responsible for logic, while the right side is responsbile for creativity. As for your comment at formal education, look at the middle class. Did they think "Oh, I'm too smart for school, who needs education."?

Last edited by never-more; 03-07-2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont think all of intelligence is intellect there is also wisdom vs foolishness.
Gets a vote.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The best thing about intelligence is that it's available and free to acquire. Go for it! It has nothing to do with family roots, where you grew up, how you look or how athletic or graceful you are. You can learn at a fast pace, or a slow pace. You can learn everything or one thing. Your choice.
I am taking this little guy:... "" and twisting his thumb down.

All the available info in the world is not going to make a person NOT endowed with the a certain kind of genes gravitate towards that information, wanting to make sense of it, wanting to apply it or think critically about it.

Which doesn't mean that people with less intelligence (however type we are talking about) are not valuable in and of themselves.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
you are likely to not find the really intelligent people o the internet wasting time.Its like really gifted children they are far and few between actually. But oftenstupidity callig is just difference of opinion. No really gifted intelligent humans have lead to most impotant thinsg that have advanced our lifes.Its impostant to recognise them and support ehm for out r won good. For instance we should support ehm to go into csience s and math because we have a shotage that will tell on our own lifes in time.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM

563 posts, read 807,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
you are likely to not find the really intelligent people o the internet wasting time.Its like really gifted children they are far and few between actually. But oftenstupidity callig is just difference of opinion. No really gifted intelligent humans have lead to most impotant thinsg that have advanced our lifes.Its impostant to recognise them and support ehm for out r won good. For instance we should support ehm to go into csience s and math because we have a shotage that will tell on our own lifes in time.
I must say this does make me admit that I am simply of average intelligence. I am no Albert Einstein. But I treat people with respect and care for them. Society's problem is focusing on the wrong issue (intelligence) (a la Idiocracy) instead of morality, community, and how we treat others.

~never-more

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I am intelligent, which does not mean lacking is morality, community or anything else.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
I must say this does make me admit that I am simply of average intelligence. I am no Albert Einstein. But I treat people with respect and care for them. Society's problem is focusing on the wrong issue (intelligence) (a la Idiocracy) instead of morality, community, and how we treat others.

~never-more
Thumbs up...apparently you are intelligent enough.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I don't think intelligence can be overvalued, but I do think the impact intelligence can make on your life is over estimated. Things like;compassion, creativity and ambition have to be assets also. I used to and still do from time to time hang out with a few friends who I think are the most intelligent guys anywhere. They have multiple masters degrees and all work jobs as custodians ,dock and factory workers or self employed handy man (most are single as you can imagine). Two teach at community colleges.

They or /we seem happier talking about science ,physics Shakespeare or theory around a campfire drinking beer than to be in a lab coat or university. By the same token there are no doubt people with half the intelligence as these guys who make up for it with ambition or creativity who have tangible results of their mental ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates