Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

318 posts, read 567,063 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine was beaten up by bullies at his Public High School. This was after many letters and phone calls to school officials complaining about the bullying, that were basically ignored.

While the Principal was not actually at the location where the boy was beaten up, should he be legally responsible for the actions of the bully because he ignored warnings, letters and appeals by the parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
Beating someone up isn't bullying - it's assault and battery.

I can see where the Principal may be found liable at least in civil court for ignoring the warnings. It may depend on local laws, though. I think the question would be whether he had a duty to keep them apart.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Assuming an ordinary bullying incident, i.e. not one which the administrator showed obvious willful neglect or was directly involved in,, the school administrators should not be held responsible. How about holding the bully accountable for his own actions? In this case it was the bully who committed the act of aggression and any planning for it, so the bully should be held accountable, in my view in the same way that legal adults are held accountable for assaulting other people.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
I think both should be held accountable to some degree. You give rights to the school over your children and expect them to heed warnings, if they don't take their job seriously then this kind of thing happens more frequently, IMO. Would you not hold the business owner liable for shootings occurring in his business if he ignored warnings and continued to allow the person making the threats to patron there? Would you not hold the staff and president of the U.S. responsible for part in the world trade disaster if they were warned and didn't act? Yes. The answer is yes. We hold people responsible who ignore warning signs. To what degree I am unsure but yes, IMO, I think the principal should in the least be given warning to pay attention to future calls and signs of abuse toward any student in his/her care. This is my personal opinion.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
There's also the distinction between legal responsibility and what might be called professional responsibility. Habitually ignoring warnings and failing to intervene or prevent assaults like that would certainly call their competence into question. Removing someone from their job is one thing; imposing legal consequences is another.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
A relative of mine was beaten up by bullies at his Public High School. This was after many letters and phone calls to school officials complaining about the bullying, that were basically ignored.

While the Principal was not actually at the location where the boy was beaten up, should he be legally responsible for the actions of the bully because he ignored warnings, letters and appeals by the parents?
What happened to the the youth who assaulted your relative?

What does "basically" ignored mean exactly?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
What can be done? The bully could have been hauled into the principals office for a talking to. Letters to or even a meeting with his parents could have been done but I bet the bully still would have found a time and place in school but away from the view of teachers etc.. to beat up his target.
If the principal looked the other way yeah bring him in when the bully is charged with assault.
How much liability to the principal if the assault took place off school grounds or after school hours?
It does seem the principal should be questioned about what course of action he took to curb the bully. I doubt he could have stopped it.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Better if a juvenile to go ater the parents as they are responsible civilly for juvenile actions.Even the pole wouldn't file charge on just a letter or telephone call. They need proof by evidence to file charges.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM

318 posts, read 567,063 times
It seems that if the attack took place on the school grounds and the Principal ignored the warnings and did not have a come to Jesus meeting with the parents and the bullies the Prinicipal should be legally responsible for the attack along with the attacker himself.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,698 times
No, because nowadays, if a teacher or any school staff says anything or does anything that hurts the delicate sensibilities of a parent's little angel(the bully,) the school gets sued to kingdom come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates