Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I'm stuck on "later Bob changed his mind". It's too easy to change your mind, and change it again, so I don't think that means squat. That's a life lesson, not a reason to mess with a child.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm stuck on "later Bob changed his mind". It's too easy to change your mind, and change it again, so I don't think that means squat. That's a life lesson, not a reason to mess with a child.
Are you talking to me here?

Also, for the record, females can change their minds later on as well and screw over their offspring/children as a result--for instance, they could purposely get pregnant and then change their minds and get abortions, or they can purposely give birth and then give their children away using safe-haven laws with the possibility that some of their children will never get adopted.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is about the well being of the child.
If a woman has a child out of wedlock and wants to give it up for adoption, she should be able to. If the father is more suited to raise the child than an adoptive mother and father, then he should have the option, but I doubt if this is the case very often.
If a woman chooses to keep the child, the father needs to pay child support.
Men need to wake up and smell the coffee. Pay to play. You reap what you sow.

you cant have it both ways.

if the child is born out of wedlock, and wants to give the child up for adoption, then get the fathers ok too.
if the mother just does not want the child, then give the father all parental rights and have the mother pay child support. my daughters mom is paying child support for our daughters as she does not want to have them with her.
also, my daughters mother also gave up all visitation and all custody as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Why shouldn't the unmarried father have the same rights as the mother?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Why shouldn't the unmarried father have the same rights as the mother?
Have you read this thread? Read post 6 and get back to me.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM

13 posts, read 16,108 times
Since I'm getting no replies upon: recent Supreme Court decision I'm curious what people think about what rights unmarried fathers should have to be in their child's life

https://www.google.com/search?num=30...arried+fathers

trickier for courts to decide on the parental rights of unwed fathers versus unwed mothers.
....Constitutional Rights Of Unwed Fathers
While the rights of unwed fathers are limited, many fathers have used the
....Fourteenth Amendment to challenge the termination of their parental rights when the birth mothers relinquish their children for adoption.
Are the Rights of Unwed Fathers Guaranteed by Law? - Law and Daily Life

Nebraska Supreme Court held that the state's statutory scheme for determining the rights of unwed fathers was unconstitutional
Can Unwed Fathers Block Adoptions? Navigating a Tricky Legal Terrain

In 3-2 decision, Supreme Court takes narrow view of unwed father's
Odd cases:
In 3-2 decision, Supreme Court takes narrow view of unwed father

can send a Judge a copy of the Comprehensive Guide to Father’s Rights
Many Judges are not familiar with the legal field of fathers rights. They are bombarded however, with literature from feminist groups brainwashing Judges with false and misleading information
The fourteenth amendment [***23] to the United States Constitution provides that no state shall "deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."
Many useful documents and tactics not available here or elsewhere are found in the

Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM

13 posts, read 16,108 times
*Sigh* Can't any "blogger" post CASE #s? Approx? Feb 3, 2010 ?
& this site is a bit... eccentric when it comes to posting links....

Inside Constitutional Law: What Matters and why
Request (by clicking) google books (play) to put it in their system!
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=bJADck919ZQC

Free books.google preview:
Inside Constitutional Law: What Matters and why - Google Books

video:
insiderexclusive.com/justice-in-america/fathers-rights-what-you-need-to-know
FATHERS RIGHTS
insiderexclusive.com/insider-exclusive/featured-guesthttp://www.insiderexclusive.com/insider-exclusive/featured-guest
Featured Guests - The Insider Exclusive
fgarcia@fsquaredmedia.com
Terri Miles, partner @ Terri Miles Family Law won a landmark Louisiana Supreme Court case on behalf of her client, Alex, in a case that concerned the opposition of a biological father to the private adoption of his newborn child.
The Louisiana Supreme Court’s concurring decision expressed concerns about the constitutionality of the Louisiana Children’s Code, Article 1138 in that it denies equal protection to a Father by demanding proof of fitness by an unwed father and not from the unwed mother as well.
....Terri will discuss some of the most Frequently Asked Questions regarding Fathers Rights such as:
• When Does An Unmarried Father Acquire Parental Rights?
Terri Miles | Attorney

the U.S. Supreme Court held that an unmarried father's personal contact with his child is
substantially protected,
sonomacountylawyer.com/Articles/Unmarried-Fathers-Have-the-Same-Rights-as-Mothers.shtml
Unmarried Fathers Have the Same Rights as Mothers - Law Firm Charles D. Stark, Attorney and Counselor at Law Attorneys Santa Rosa, California

In a series of cases involving unmarried fathers, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the constitutional
protection of such a father’s parental rights when he has established a substantial relationship with
his child.
avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-civil-rights-does-the-us-constitution-provide-for-unmarried-fathers
What civil rights does the U.S. Constitution provide for unmarried fathers? - Avvo.com

dadslawyer.com Best Fathers Rights Lawyers

courttips.com/shopsite_sc/page11.html FATHERS RIGHTS - 100+DOCUMENTS ON A DISC

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Most of this talk about how the laws discriminate against unmarried birth fathers is just hooey. The plain fact of the matter is you can't really talk about equal rights when two people are in a very different position in life. Men do not go through the experience of gestation for nine months, labor, and producing breast milk. A man's biological function is completed after a pregnancy begins. A woman's biological mission is not completed until a child is not only safely delivered, but raised as well. In short, until a man has established a family relationship with a child (beyond mere biology) he is not on equal footing with the mother of the child. Marriage makes a difference because marriage declares to the community that he is willing to assume such a relationship, duty, and responsibility.

I believe that except in a very few limited situations that placing a child for adoption or not is the mother's call to make. If she makes it, there should be very limited reasons for a birth father to stop it from happening. I would emphasize that a birth father wanting to prevent adoption should have a legal acknowledgment of paternity filled out and on file with appropriate state agencies prior to the delivery of a child, or very shortly thereafter. Such a father should have to file a plan stating how he proposes to financially support the child.

There are simply too many instances of men fathering children and than skipping town to avoid paying child support. It places both the child's mother and the public (who must provide government assistance) in a very disadvantageous position. Laws known as Putative Father Statutes properly place the burden on unmarried men to come forward and make official filings to preserve and protect their rights. If the father fails to abide by the terms of the statute, he can and should lose his parental rights.

Sometimes, life just isn't fair. However, if you are unmarried father and you expect parental rights, you better do your research and act to preserve them. It is not society's obligation to do these things for you.

I'm the father (married) of a little girl and I couldn't agree more. I'm also a product of a divorced household so I'm well acquainted with the way courts operate in terms of custody. What is unfair to a lot of decent fathers like mine exists to insure that a lot of bad one's aren't screwing their kids over. I completely empathize with a man who may have learned that he has a child who is being raised by someone else, but the law exists as it does so that the majority of kids who are put up for adoption aren't put through the upheaval of a custody battle because the biological father has second thoughts or wants to be a jerk to the mother.

If you're in it to be a dad, you're in it from day one. Contributing genetic material to the child is not even close to the equivalency of gestating one, or actually being a parent (male or female). The number of mothers who might put a child up for adoption without the knowledge of the father is so infinitesimal compared to the men who decide that they aren't ready or willing to be a parent. I don't begrudge those men the choice to opt out, just as I don't begrudge women who have abortions for opting out (because giving the child up for adoption can be a very emotionally damaging experience, this I have witnessed personally). Its better for the child if any parents involved are willing participants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Men in today's world have very little rights to their children and it's sad. I do not have a criminal record and I'm not addicted to drugs. I work 12 shifts over night only 3 nights a week at a high paying job. I pay for my childrens medical and I pay child support. I've gone to court a few times, but the judges REFUSE to let me see my kids more than ever other weekend (4 days a month). My ex wife would drop off my 3 year old at 8am, pick him up at 6pm, and have him in bed around 7:30-8pm 5 days a week while I'm sitting at home. The judge acted like my son would somehow be scarred for life if he ever stayed overnight at my home.

Unmarried fathers only have to right to over pay for their children... When money is involved is the one and only time when we're treated like the child is ours...

It should not matter what previous involvement a father has had in the childs life... It should not matter if he was aware or not of the child's existence. None of that changes the fact that he's the child's father and not only should he have the right to be in this child's life, but the child should have the right to have their father in their life as well.

If the man's does not pose a threat to his child and he has decided that he wants to be there, he should have a right to be in his life point blank no questions asked... When it comes to child support, we believe that a man, regardless of his involvement, has a duty to provide support, so why is it that people want to impose so many roadblocks when it comes to a father wanting to be with his child? Why doesn't it go both ways?

What the hell does the fact that a woman carries the baby for 9 months have to do with anything? What do fathers who skips town have to do with the many more fathers who are being denied the right to be a part of their childs life? It does not matter what the statutes are and statistics support that. I, like many other good men out there, have abided by the law and still ge denied a fair amount of time with our children.

Yes there are men who are deadbeats, but there are women who have abortions to get out of handling their responsibilities. There are men paying a ridiculous amount of support while the mother sit at home with their 5 kids by 5 different men living on welfare and the fathers money... So what was the point of bringing that up?

If it was about the well being of the child, then married or not, the child should have the right to have a father in his or her life and bitter women or biases judges should not be getting in the way of that.

I'm tired of better women and white knights using the small amount of deadbeat men or men that hurt them as excuses to justify a broken system that is fueled by bitterness and money leaving fatherless children to suffer for their selfishness...

------

Have you seen the statistics comparing fatherless children to those who grow up with fathers? After seeing that, how can you claim you're doing what's best for children while denying them God given right and giving them the best chance at life?

How many times have you seen stories about adopted children who, even though they had a very loving adoptive parents and upbringing, had a burning in their guts to know where they came from?

Fathers matter... Maybe not to women and mothers, maybe not to some ignorant men, maybe not to some children who do not know what they're missing, and maybe not tho the legal system... but we matter...
Has to be one of the outright dumbest, most misogynistic posts I've ever read on city data. Equating abortions to dead beat dads.

"It should not matter what previous involvement a father has had in the childs life... "

Actually it matters a great deal because by definition if you aren't involved you aren't a parent to that child.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,395 times
So for those who take their stance on Putative Father laws, let me ask, since not all states even have them, and those which do have different requirements, what is a father in a state which doesn't have them to do when an adoption agency sends the mom from that state to a state which does to give birth and sign away her parental rights? Or when a state does and the father complies with the laws in the state in which he and the mother were living and she disappears to another state to give birth and relinquish the child which has different requirements?

These laws are a ridiculous answer to a problem they don't address. Deadbeat dads are not dads who have proven paternity and want to raise their own child rather than have it adopted when the mother doesn't want it. Why the barriers to allowing fathers to step up?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Are you talking to me here?

Also, for the record, females can change their minds later on as well and screw over their offspring/children as a result--for instance, they could purposely get pregnant and then change their minds and get abortions, or they can purposely give birth and then give their children away using safe-haven laws with the possibility that some of their children will never get adopted.
You're making the statement that the women who have abortions choose to get pregnant to begin with, but then have second thoughts. Compeltely fictitious and unfounded. We do not base our laws on extremely unlikely and unheard of hypotheticals.

An appropriate analogy would be to suggest that a woman can change her mind by giving a child up for adoption and then choose to have the child returned to her from the adoptive parents. No she very well can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates