Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 AM

560 posts, read 1,131,666 times

Advertisements

Ive never understood the difference between the two. Terrorists organizations use the same methods as gangs to procure weapons and money to meet their goals. Gangs have terrorized thousands of communities in the U.S. and have even infiltrated the military on a pretty massive scale. Yes ,the police in various communities have been able to dissolve numerous gangs but for the most part even if they are in prison they still maintain a heavy presence in the communities they ravaged. I honestly believe if the CIA and FBI and Homeland Security really wanted to they could wipe these gangs off the map. There really is a sense of urgency especially with the rise in violent crime and murder in the U.S. this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
Moved from True Crime.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,864,874 times
That's a very good question, and I'd like to know as well. Gangs like the Nazi Lowriders, Aryan Brotherhood, Hells Angels, Gangster Disciples, Vice Lords, Bloods and Crips, Norteños and Sureños have killed far more Americans than any terrorist organization, yet they are not classified as such. Then there are all the various ethnic mafias, the cartels, etc. who kill thousands every year in North America alone.

On many US-based boards I hear people calling for the mass deportation of Muslims from America, when Muslim-Americans have killed relatively few of their fellow Americans in the name of Allah. Most Muslims in North America are peaceful people who are proud of their countries, even if they may not agree with its foreign policy. Compare that to the thousands and thousands of men, women, and children the aforementioned gangs have killed, maimed, etc. in the name of the Almighty Dollar. Besides religion and ethnicity, what's the difference? I'm far more fearful of a 16-year-old hoodlum with a Glock than a group of radical Islamists. And I imagine most Americans (and Canadians) would say the same. But you don't see people foaming at the mouth demanding that anyone who has ever been in a gang be deported from America.

What's with the double standard?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,442,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
I honestly believe if the CIA and FBI and Homeland Security really wanted to they could wipe these gangs off the map. .
Not without violating the gangs' civil rights.

Also, most middle and upper class Americans don't have gang worries. Gang members live in gang neighborhoods for the most part and middle class Americans don't come in too much contact with them.

Finally, how do you want your tax dollars spent? Fighting real terrorists of gang members? Fighting texters and speeders and burglars or gang members? I'd rather have the cops watching my neighborhood for burglars and punks texting while driving or drunk drivers than fighting gang members. Gangs don't affect me too much.

Last edited by plmokn; 08-15-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM

50,954 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Terrorist groups are politically motivated, and Federal agencies are involved because although individuals suffer, their attacks are not targeted on individuals but meant to be attacks on the United States in general.

As others said, gang members are normally US citizens and protected by rights and the justice system, if we just start taking them out with drones or something, no trial, we cease to be the United States of America and might as well celebrate with a huge flag burning and burning of the Constitution, because both will be meaningless.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times
A bit harder to take on gangs as it really is a domestic issue with a frequent result being incarceration - which is a great breeding ground for gangs.

They are definitely different than terrorist groups - both in the founding desire and nature of their attacks.

There is definitely a socio-economic factor in there as well. When gangs have been heavily targeted it's usually following an incident where a kid or someone else on the fringe gets killed when gang violence spills over. General public isn't as concerned about gang members killing gang members or the extreme poverty in those communities .... it's just not viewed as a problem.

Both will use drugs and the selling of drugs to advance their agendas, just in different ways - again the difference is important.

Honestly, I think the effect of gangs, drugs and the associated violence and cost - societal, moral and economic - are every bit as bad if not worse than terrorist attacks.

There just isn't an easy solution out there and it's not a sexy cause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates