Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 40,952 times

Advertisements

There was an article in a British newspaper recently that said Americans deep down really hate the English. It say that President Obama has always been anti English and this is now showing in the way he always says British Petroleum rather than BP which it now is. It says Hollywood always casts the baddies with English accents, and gives a few examples of films which show the English in the same light as the Nazis ie Braveheart and The Patriot.
It then went on to say that an Englishman on holiday overheard a group of Americans who thought no one else was around slagging off the English in general. It says English and not British as the Irish and Scots seem to be liked. It ends saying that the so called special relationship is only in the minds of British politicians and that we should stop supporting America politically.

I hope that this view is wrong as I love America even though I have not been there yet, I am hoping to visit with my family next year. So do you Americans really dislike us or is this article complete rubbish.
[10 post to link off site]

Last edited by Oildog; 06-14-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I am saying this as someone who is a born-and-bred American. Fearmongering amongst the media should never be taken seriously.

Americans do not hate the English.

Personally, I would love to move to England for a few years. The article is crap.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM

75 posts, read 257,770 times
I agree...Americans do not hate people who live in England. Many of us can trace our heritage to the British Isles: One of my husband's ancestors came over on the Mayflower. I think it is more likely that Brits have negative thoughts about Americans.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,090,379 times
Why would Americans not like the Brits. That article is pure lies. Don't rely on Hollywood to make an accurate history movie. I only hope the States can last as long as England has.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
I agree with others here- there is definitely the hype that the media creates, and stuff that you see on TV and movies, but I just don't really ever hear any hatred or bad words spoken about England or the English people here. Most here seem to like the English.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Probably some Scottish and Irish Americans hate the English. But what about the Welsh, Scottish, etc.?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Aha- it was in the Daily Wail, sorry, Mail.

Enough said.

Were you never taught not to believe all you read in newspapers. You need to double check the date in that apology for a 'newspaper'. They're often to be found looking for disharmony where it doesn't exist.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
Hogwash! Americans love the English and everything to do with them.

I wouldn't go with what sensationalist newspapers write, nor with what they claim eminates from Obama.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times
Rubbish! Braveheart and the Patriot were directed by..
Mel Gibson who might be anti-english and he is a Aussie anyway.
Most Americans dont hate the English.To be honest many Americans..
Dont give much thought to the world outside the USA.
If you ask them about England,they still think people say "Jolly Good"..
And things are like Mary Poppins.
Finding an American who actually hates the English is rare.
You might find someone making a stupid comment about us having to..
Save their ***** in WW2 but thats the most you will hear.
Like another poster mentioned you will more much Anti-American..
Sentiment there.I have heard English say Yanks are fat,stupid,..
Warmongers,etc However im sure that view is the minority.
I have noticed the English watch way more American shows than UK telly.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Aha- it was in the Daily Wail, sorry, Mail.

Enough said.
My thoughts exactly. I guess I must have married an Englishman and moved to England because I hate the English. I know several other Americans who have lived in England and loved it, one of whom also married an Englishman. I don't know anyone back in the US who doesn't like the English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecuk
It says Hollywood always casts the baddies with English accents,
The stereotypical English bad guy in movies is only written with a posh English accent because it sounds more sophisticated and that's the type of character they are going for. Besides, "always" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
and gives a few examples of films which show the English in the same light as the Nazis ie Braveheart and The Patriot.
What do you expect? Those movies are from the view point of people who at the time were at WAR with the English. Like they're really going to make the enemies of the protagonists seem wonderful?

Quote:
It then went on to say that an Englishman on holiday overheard a group of Americans who thought no one else was around slagging off the English in general.
A whole one person, huh? You really think you can go to any foreign country and NEVER find someone, somewhere, who thinks negatively of your nation? Wake up call: there will always be a minority of people in any nation who don't like your nation or it's people. And you may happen to run into them while visiting. That's life. It doesn't mean they speak for the majority and it doesn't mean most people who visit that country will experience the same thing. There are Americans on this forum who have talked about their unfortunate experience of receiving hostility for being American while visiting England - so it works both ways. That doesn't mean their experience is the norm - I have lived in England for 4 years and never come across any hostility from English citizens for being American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates