Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

"The beautiful people" I see them in magazines, on TV and in the movies, but I also see them occasionally walking up and down the street, or in a high end expensive store at the mall. Outwardly they seem to have it all: Beauty, confidence, poise, money, friends and great jobs. In high school they were likely the head cheerleader or Homecoming King.

I see them at chic expensive restaurants and they are at the table with lots of fellow beautiful people; they seem to have just tons of beautiful popular friends.

People are in awe of them
They are smiled at more often (according to studies)
People want to be them-- or with them

But behind the appearance, I wonder what life is really like for the so called "beautiful people" I am looking for sincere replies to this interesting question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Not a bad question at all. My take is that we are ALL servants to our own standards. This means that you're bound to compare what you currently have with what you've been having. "Beautiful people"...

*pauses for a Marilyn Manson drum session*

...are no happier than anyone else. Everyone's happiness depends in part on how a situation deviates from the immediate past. We all take what we have for granted, so much that when something negative happens, we simply forget how much money, how many friends, and what physical attributes we have.

Of course, we must remember that everyone's second job is to make themselves look better in public. What you see in the mall is not necessarily what you would see if you went home with them, especially if they were not sure you were there... Uhh, caution: Don't nobody actually TEST that though...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times
I think wealthy or beautiful people have more options in life are are more likely able to do things that make other people be envious. But at the end many just have higher standards and want to raise the bar even higher because they can and eventually they will be disappointed.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Yes they do. They have more options, they're treated better and generally have way more advantages in just about every aspect of life, whether it be dating, careers or making friends.

A shame that society has evolved this way, especially in America.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,171 times
My beautiful causin gets everything. Free cruises, free vacations, she got a job without degree and a apartment which should cost 2/3 more than what she pays. Her big eyes are blue and hair is black, long and thick with natural waves. She moved to a new town and she did not had any contacs to anyone. Her mother said they offer everything on the plate for her. If that is "better life" then yes.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
When I see beautiful people my first thought is "are they useful to me in a way"? can some of their beauty /money/power trickle down to me in a way? if yes, I'll consciensciously (and cynically) lick their ass to benefit from their (so called) social superiority. If not, I'll do my best to humiliate them/ scam them/ make them lose control.
It ain't beautiful nor nice, but it's how I take (or phantasize to take) social revenge over them.
Don't worry, I don't live in the same circles, so there is little risk of that happening!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

35 posts, read 58,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
But behind the appearance, I wonder what life is really like for the so called "beautiful people" I am looking for sincere replies to this interesting question
If you understand existentialism, you'll answer this question for yourself..

A fish might ask "do sharks really have it that good??"..

But, as humans we see that both the fish AND the shark are simply "various creatures of the sea". Which really has it better?? The fish seem to have more friends?? Aren't they always in a school of fish. wheras sharks seem to be more solo... SEems kinda lonely.

When you see beautiful people getting more smiles, those are temporary smiles. Those smiles don't go to them on xmas eve. Less attractive people I think have more TRUE friendships and love. Not the fleeting type. Attractive people get more people, but the level of devotion from each is less.

And also, let's define beauty. I grew up beauty as all the 'regular' folk who may not make it on TV, but in reality, they have friends they knew and grew up with since they were 8.

I rarely see "beautiful" people who still keep in touch with friends for that long.

So.. there's something "more beautiful" about having a devoted group of friends, who knew you when you were still into toys and dolls.. yet, are now adults and who can maintain a 'childlike' joy and passion in the friendships because they go back to the days of kids.

so many 'beautiful' people only have relationships that begun at a later stage in life, so gone are the child like emotions and feelings. Only left are very adult, business like intentions and memories.

Only when they see others who have this, do they now question if being beautiful is 'worth it'.

Behind closed doors, they might miss that feeling of having a friend who simply was happy to go get ice cream with them 'for the sake of getting ice cream'.

They understand, the trade off for being beautiful is that whatever friend they have, gets ice cream with them because of the social politics in knowing them -- NOT because of the ice cream.

That's a very empty feeling... it cheapens the answer to "what is the meaning of life".

The meaning of life is... the ice cream. And the feeling that a friend wants to get ice cream with you, for that in itself, not because by doing so it keeps them up in the social scheme of things and positions themselves for more social success.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
"The beautiful people" I see them in magazines, on TV and in the movies, but I also see them occasionally walking up and down the street, or in a high end expensive store at the mall. Outwardly they seem to have it all: Beauty, confidence, poise, money, friends and great jobs. In high school they were likely the head cheerleader or Homecoming King.

I see them at chic expensive restaurants and they are at the table with lots of fellow beautiful people; they seem to have just tons of beautiful popular friends.

People are in awe of them
They are smiled at more often (according to studies)
People want to be them-- or with them

From what I read all I can say is that beautiful people do get preferences in pretty much every aspect of life. No big deal with me. That is jus life.

However, like in any group there are good and bad people. Now, to say have better lives? I admit it is hard to say because they may be beautiful but to me they are still human have the same general traits as anybody eles i.e. never happy with their own looks at varying degrees. Take care.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I have noticed, or at least have gotten the impression, that wealthy people seem more likely to be physically attractive. And I can't decide if their physical beauty helped them get ahead in life, thus leading to their wealth, or if their wealth allows them to have the best doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, high quality food, etc., thus leading to healthier bodies.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I have noticed, or at least have gotten the impression, that wealthy people seem more likely to be physically attractive. And I can't decide if their physical beauty helped them get ahead in life, thus leading to their wealth, or if their wealth allows them to have the best doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, high quality food, etc., thus leading to healthier bodies.
I would lean more towards the latter. I mean, somebody doesn't necessarily have to be handsome to start up a successful business.

In any case, I'd say overall beautiful people do tend to live slightly better lives when looked at as a group, but there are way too many exceptions to the rule. You have models who develop eating disorders, and handsome businessmen who are under a ton of stress, and you have "ugly people" who go and lead successful lives.

Of course, it depends how you define "beautiful".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates