Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times

Advertisements

Would you rather be not making a lot of money and be in a lower socio-economic class, but live in a wealthy city or would you rather be making more money and be in a upper socioeconomic class, but live in a poorer city with more crime.

Consider, that many serial killers and serious crimes have occurred in poorer cities. Usually the victim of the crimes tend to be poorer people.

Also, consider that if it's truly a poor city the public schools won't be good. All though, you are wealthy and in this case can afford private school for your kids if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Would you rather be not making a lot of money and be in a lower socio-economic class, but live in a wealthy city or would you rather be making more money and be in a upper socioeconomic class, but live in a poorer city with more crime.

Consider, that many serial killers and serious crimes have occurred in poorer cities. Usually the victim of the crimes tend to be poorer people.

Also, consider that if it's truly a poor city the public schools won't be good. All though, you are wealthy and in this case can afford private school for your kids if you want.
A rich man in a poor city because I'd help the poor like Bruce Wayne. I would hate to be poor in a wealthy city and looked down on and treated like a subhuman.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 AM

9,004 posts, read 13,755,150 times
A better choice for me would be a poor woman(in my case) in a wealthy city.
That way,I can nab one of the rich slobs!

Another choice that's not up there is I would rather be a poor woman in a poor rural area.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,328,449 times
Poor in a wealthy city because:

1) The amenities would be better (e.g. education, public services, transportation, entertainment, etc...)

2) The opportunities to become "wealthy" would be better (e.g. more jobs/businesses, networking/mentoring opportunities with the successful, etc.)

Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Serial Killers??? Yea, consider serial killers because they are just all over the place. lol

Anyways, a rich woman in a poor city that I can then leave because I have the money to do so...

Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 PM

4,149 posts, read 4,388,889 times
Quote:

You have a few false assumptions here in your choice.
1) There is nothing saying the wealthy in the poor city have to spend majority of their time there. I surmise a lot of wealthy in poor cities, depending on what they do to earn that wealth, or if they simply own a lot (say real estate), that provides passive income, likely spend a good portion of their time in wealthy cities or resorts or out of the way rural getaways.
2) When you say poor in a wealthy city are you inferring the wealthy city is wealthy in terms of amenities and has high cost of living? There are some cities that are not wealthy - but have had past wealth which manifests itself in nice amenities of a larger city as a remnant of past glory and have low cost of living. These types of city provide a good bang for the buck in quality of life (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, see The Economist rankings from a few years back, etc..)
3) Crime in general needs to be compared on per capita basis. Being poor will usually make one susceptible to more criminal activity but is impacted by levels of ingrained cultural values of a region. Some tight knit communities one may consider 'poor' if cultural homogeneity is strong, may not have much crime.
4) Educational output is not a reflection of nominal wealth as much as it is of parental mindset and cultural values toward educational achievement.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 PM

I would say a wealthy city is one with a healthy economy (low unemployment), good schools, low crime rates, and some of the typical high end amenities like a natural food market and hiking trails and ethnic restaurants.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 AM

4,149 posts, read 4,388,889 times
Quote:
I would say a wealthy city is one with a healthy economy (low unemployment), good schools, low crime rates, and some of the typical high end amenities like a natural food market and hiking trails and ethnic restaurants.
You wouldn't have a problem if you followed Bugs Bunny!

Pismo Beach! - YouTube

Well, a lot of the amenities you consider 'high end' will be found in most any of the top 50 metro markets simply by finding the demographic neighborhoods that support them. You could have lower cost of living by just living on periphery of them, or scaling back ones need for living space to live amidst them.

There are many variables that come into play. You can find a smaller city that is dominated by a major university / institution / government, and get most of the amenities you describe in your wish list.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
You wouldn't have a problem if you followed Bugs Bunny!

Pismo Beach! - YouTube

Well, a lot of the amenities you consider 'high end' will be found in most any of the top 50 metro markets simply by finding the demographic neighborhoods that support them. You could have lower cost of living by just living on periphery of them, or scaling back ones need for living space to live amidst them.

There are many variables that come into play. You can find a smaller city that is dominated by a major university / institution / government, and get most of the amenities you describe in your wish list.
true you can find good neighborhoods in poorer cities, but this question is about in a situation where one is poor and one is wealthy.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 AM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
I'd rather not live in any city regardless of my financial status because I don't like cities, not even just to visit them.

But, people live in neighborhoods with other people of a similar income level so if I absolutely had to live in a city, I'd rather be a rich person in a poor city...with a second home in someplace that's not a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates