Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

893 posts, read 885,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer shortly after my 23rd birthday, at which point the cancer was so widespread that I had tumorous lymph nodes from my collar bone to my groin, bone involvement in my long bones and spine, and a grapefruit sized tumor in my chest. The chemotherapy that saved my life was developed in the early 90s. I would not have survived more than 6 months without it before the tumors continued to grow and cause me a long, painful death.

How's that for real world?
that person was saying that YOUR case is real world and the other person spewing a nutbag conspiracy is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
that person was saying that YOUR case is real world and the other person spewing a nutbag conspiracy is not.
I know - I was just elaborating on how ugly the real world can be.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
But many of these vaccines came out in the early to mid 20th century... it didn't seem like drug companies were as greedy back then. Nowadays, everyone is obsessed with the almighty dollar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
No money in it to find a cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think there already is a cure...more than one...but like you said, there's too much money to be made supposedly researching and trying to find that cure.
There's no way the med industry's willing to give that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
It wouldn't be good for business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Years ago my mom worked for a huge pharmaceutical research company. There was a pill for clearing out your arteries. So why do we need heart surgery? Simple- money.

You think there isn't a cure for HIV? think again. In fact- it's been done plenty of times. And I guarantee there is a more openly available cure, that isn't on the market.

Why? Money. Everything is about money.

We can clone rabbits, but can't cure cancer..... Yea if you believe that- I have a beach front property in Arizona to sell you
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit2219 View Post
Thank you. I was hoping that someone would say this.
Too many people are being suckered into believing that they're still 'trying' to find a cure.

I think someone ought to do a totally new thread on the willingness of large segments of the public to believe there is a conspiracy to prevent cancer from being cured.

Do any of you people bother to do any research before you reach such absurd conclusions?

Do you realize that cancer research is being done in a number of countries throughout the world? Your conspiracy theory would require the cooperation of the governments in multiple countries, the entire pharmaceutical industry, the medical profession, and news media outlets all over the world. Apparently, a substantial segment of people is crazy enough to believe exactly that.

Come on now all of you people who are so free to share your wisdom with us. Let's see your "proof" of any of this.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think someone ought to do a totally new thread on the willingness of large segments of the public to believe there is a conspiracy to prevent cancer from being cured.

Do any of you people bother to do any research before you reach such absurd conclusions?

Do you realize that cancer research is being done in a number of countries throughout the world? Your conspiracy theory would require the cooperation of the governments in multiple countries, the entire pharmaceutical industry, the medical profession, and news media outlets all over the world. Apparently, a substantial segment of people is crazy enough to believe exactly that.

Come on now all of you people who are so free to share your wisdom with us. Let's see your "proof" of any of this.
I don't have to do any research. I know that drug companies will never allow a cure for cancer because it means less money for them. Anyone who thinks drug companies and hospitals aren't in it for money are completely delusional.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
I don't have to do any research. I know that drug companies will never allow a cure for cancer because it means less money for them. Anyone who thinks drug companies and hospitals aren't in it for money are completely delusional.
Bingo thank you ...

Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
But once again - which cancer? You keep calling cancer a single illness when it is HUNDREDS and will require HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of different cures.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
No, you don't have to do any research to support your conclusion. This is precisely why no self-respecting person should pay any attention to it at all.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But once again - which cancer? You keep calling cancer a single illness when it is HUNDREDS and will require HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of different cures.
I realize there are many types of cancers... they could have at least cured one or two by now.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I realize there are many types of cancers... they could have at least cured one or two by now.

Testicular cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Childhood Leukemia Survival Rates Reach 90 Percent - US News

Survival rates for cervical cancer by stage

Survival rates for Hodgkin disease by stage

A good example of what research has accomplished:

Gestational Trophoblastic Tumors

"Forty years ago, women with choriocarcinoma had a 95% mortality rate. Today, with the advent of effective chemotherapy and the development of a reliable tumor marker (b-hCG), the cure rate for choriocarcinoma is 90%-95%."

Number of Cancer Survivors Expected to Increase to 18 Million by 2022

"... as of January 2012, there were approximately 13.7 million cancer survivors in the United States, a number that is expected to rise by 31 percent to 18 million by 2022."

Why can't you understand that millions of people have been cured of cancer?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Testicular cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Childhood Leukemia Survival Rates Reach 90 Percent - US News

Survival rates for cervical cancer by stage

Survival rates for Hodgkin disease by stage

A good example of what research has accomplished:

Gestational Trophoblastic Tumors

"Forty years ago, women with choriocarcinoma had a 95% mortality rate. Today, with the advent of effective chemotherapy and the development of a reliable tumor marker (b-hCG), the cure rate for choriocarcinoma is 90%-95%."

Number of Cancer Survivors Expected to Increase to 18 Million by 2022

"... as of January 2012, there were approximately 13.7 million cancer survivors in the United States, a number that is expected to rise by 31 percent to 18 million by 2022."

Why can't you understand that millions of people have been cured of cancer?
I'm not saying that more people survive cancer now, but no one is truly cured. The cancer always has a chance of coming back and that's what's so scary about the disease. I've known a few people who have had cancer more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates