Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 PM

79 posts, read 64,010 times

Advertisements

I just read on the Forbes website that Obesity has surpassed cigarette smoker's and is now adding $190 billion to the annual national healthcare price tag on American's.

Did you know you are "considered" obese if you are 5'4 and 170lbs or over? And obese if 5'9 208lbs or over?

With the obvious health care crisis going on, do you ever get irritated when you look around at all of the obesity?

Our younger generation has no idea what will hit them between all of the aging baby boomers and on top of it this obesity epidemic.

What is your take on Obesity and how it affects all of us.

Does it disturb you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times
No, it does not disturb me. What does disturb is how there is a trend putting costs associated with anything a person does; so, if I have a freakin have a beer, someone is going to *** at me how much that beer is costing healthcare, productivity, blah blah any other indicator they can come up with. I am waiting for some bozo to create a carbon-credit type scheme to come in to "remedy" this.

How much someone weighs is not relevant, give me some body fat percentage. Even someone like Pat Tillman would have been considered obese by these measurements. At around 15% body fat, I am considered obese if going by my weight.

Are there lots of fat people? Oh yes, I use to live in TN, the place where you are abnormal if you are not a walking whale. I think the lack of discipline in eating is disgusting, but even worse is how many people seem to think that being obese is "normal", and immediately accuse someone thin of having "genetics" or "eating a piece of lettuce a day" or being a "gym freak"; basically fatties resort to name calling in order to justify their short comings.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, it does not disturb me. What does disturb is how there is a trend putting costs associated with anything a person does; so, if I have a freakin have a beer, someone is going to *** at me how much that beer is costing healthcare, productivity, blah blah any other indicator they can come up with. I am waiting for some bozo to create a carbon-credit type scheme to come in to "remedy" this.

How much someone weighs is not relevant, give me some body fat percentage. Even someone like Pat Tillman would have been considered obese by these measurements. At around 15% body fat, I am considered obese if going by my weight.

Are there lots of fat people? Oh yes, I use to live in TN, the place where you are abnormal if you are not a walking whale. I think the lack of discipline in eating is disgusting, but even worse is how many people seem to think that being obese is "normal", and immediately accuse someone thin of having "genetics" or "eating a piece of lettuce a day" or being a "gym freak"; basically fatties resort to name calling in order to justify their short comings.
I agree you have the right to do what you want with your body...but if your choices start affecting my paycheck do you think I have the right to speak up or be disturbed?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaad View Post
I agree you have the right to do what you want with your body...but if your choices start affecting my paycheck do you think I have the right to speak up or be disturbed?
But someone can potentially link everything a person does, right down to using the bathroom and breathing, to impacting a person's paycheck.

If it impacts your paycheck, blame the mechanism that allows it to do so, not the people.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
But someone can potentially link everything a person does, right down to using the bathroom and breathing, to impacting a person's paycheck.

If it impacts your paycheck, blame the mechanism that allows it to do so, not the people.
Would you be against even higher taxes on cigarettes and taxing junk food?
Would you be against having to pay higher price on health insurance if your were considered overweight or smoker?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Would you be against even higher taxes on cigarettes and taxing junk food?
Would you be against having to pay higher price on health insurance if your were considered overweight or smoker?
I am against "sin" taxes; any tax that is used to sway social issues or any issue. This is basically the gov throwing its direct hand in the market place.

I am against higher price on health insurance also. Overweight is subjective, what measurement are they going to use, and how is this measurement derived? It can be a simple stroke of a pin to make millions more people "overweight" to increase their insurance rates. As for smoking, what is next, burgers? Cheese? Beer? Where does the "harmful" things for your body insurance will charge for stop?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM

I would be all for a tax break for those staying healthy.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I would be all for a tax break for those staying healthy.
But you cannot measure that. How are you going to measure health? What factors are you going to use and how are you going to use them? It is impossible to do, it will be some overly generalized BS with a purpose of extracting as much money from people as possible.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,303,512 times
Maybe we should genetically modify the perfect individual and be done with it. Then we can finally live in peace within your self righteous requirements.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,993,398 times
Quote:
I am against "sin" taxes; any tax that is used to sway social issues or any issue. This is basically the gov throwing its direct hand in the market place.

I am against higher price on health insurance also. Overweight is subjective, what measurement are they going to use, and how is this measurement derived? It can be a simple stroke of a pin to make millions more people "overweight" to increase their insurance rates. As for smoking, what is next, burgers? Cheese? Beer? Where does the "harmful" things for your body insurance will charge for stop?
Actuarials assess risk for a reason. As Dean Wormer once noted, "Fat and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates