Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times

Advertisements

What’s to say about message boards?

I have found that everyone has a credit score of 800 plus.

It does not matter that I drive the same model car, you’re getting 5 MPG more then it was rated for.

It seems every small block Chevy came from a Corvette and is making 500 HP.

I have also found that everyone maxes out their 401k.

If someone is in a car collision it’s not their fault even if the rear-ended someone going 80 in a school zone at a crosswalk. The same can be said for speeding tickets,

Somehow no one eats at McDonald’s yet the parking lot is filled.

The same can be said for Wal*Mart.

It also seems that everyone is drinking craft beer. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of Budweiser yet they sell tons of it.

It also seems that everyone is dating good-looking people. There may never be a picture of what there significant other looks like, but she or he is certainly not fat.

Everyone has a college degree. They may have taken one class at Seton Hall, but that's a degree.

The list goes on and on.

I can openly admit:

I hit a car and it was my fault.
I’ve gotten two speeding tickets and deserved them.
There were a few years here and there where I did not contribute a dime to retirement.
I shop at Wal*Mart from time to time.
Sometimes I crave salt and will stop into McDonald’s for a quick bite.
I have a thing for slightly plump women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,926 times
People are obsessed with pretending. I am brutally honest at all times.
I had mcdonalds at walmart this afternoon. Just a caramel frappe but still. I can ONLY eat their fries without getting sick.
I shop at walmart, smiths, and target. I do so to save money. When I make more money I shop local as much as possible.
One of my cars really did get very high mpgs, much higher than factory rated. My Ford Focus got the lowest mpg on the sticker. My truck is getting 17.8 mpgs. Which is on the low side (99% city driving)
2014 Ram 1500 Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

I drink rolling rock, I can show you my fridge to prove it.

I do not have a degree, I'm two semesters away from it though.

I like attractive women regardless of size, color, ethnicity, etc.

I have dated less than super model women.

My credit score is a long way from 800. I was almost to 700 (within first year of establishing credit) However, My last two jobs did not quite pay men enough to keep up my score. It's on the downward spiral. I'm hoping to recover and repair it soon.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Really? I read the board and see a lot of people talking about being in financial trouble;personal problems and wanting advise or others to share. Ops post seems more a envy and up down post to me.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,630 times
Hmmmm you notice those things too huh?

Well lets see, I have no problem eating at mcds in fact I like the breakfast items and tend to get those the most, for awhile it was a daily thing.

When I grocery shop or some times shop for other items I go to walmart, every single time. I rarely ever shop local, no matter where I live.

I've been to college for 2 1/2 years got 3 classes away from a degree and couldn't get by accounting, and business math 2 so i dropped out.

I don't drive so none of the car things apply.

401k and savings....wtf is that? I have none of those things.

Don't drink, so that don't apply.

However I do have close to a 800 credit score, last i checked it was 794.

Oh and heres a good one, no one seems to eat processed foods, oh my the chemicals. However non organic grocery stores are packed along with restaurants like red lobster, cracker barrel, and applebees.

Granted I do feel my husband is great looking I have dated less then average people and for sure less then GQ men.

Oh and you know what else I eat fast food on the daily, i'm not at all PC, i also ate fast food daily and lost over 100 pounds.

See I have no problem being honest, I wish everyone would get off the high horse and stop being so PC and just be themselves, esp online. Not sure why people try to make themselves seem as if they do no "wrong".

Last edited by PalmettoMoon; 12-28-2013 at 05:09 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 01:19 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
I don't think that everybody on MBs lies, but I think that many posters paint their lives as they wish they were rather than how they actually are. I've read some preposterous claims on C-D, especially in the economics (yeah, the 800+ credit scores/maxing out retirement accts/6 figure salaries, etc) and preparedness/self sufficiency forums (like the poster who claimed to have 10 years of supplies socked away in his/her basement!).

I also think some posters are probably far more forthcoming in details about their lives than I would ever be, especially about negative things, to total strangers.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
A lot depends on which forums we participate in on City-Data. They don't all have the same flavor. Although anonymity may allow bragging (lying), in one sense it also encourages a type of honesty that many people wouldn't have the guts to display in real life, namely the in-your-face generalized hostility that comes out because it doesn't have to be repressed. Of course some of it gets repressed by the moderators as they enforce the rules, but I think my meaning is clear.

Deep-seated hostility is an interesting thing in relation to the anonymity of screen names, as some people will even try to hide their screen names by posting rude and nasty but unsigned rep comments. So they are admitting to cowardice as well as aggression.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
I eat at McMickey D's.....

I wrecked our good mileage car....now I just have trucks to drive.....Hubby will not replace the car because I almost killed myself in it.....my fault I when in a ditch and hit a tree rather than a deer.

BTW, I would not say Hubby is good looking......I married for money.

About money.....yep have some.....it was made by VERY hard work and a HUGE investment.

It took about 1.5 million to get started and each year we have to spend penalty on maintenance. Tax deducible of course.

IMO......work for others....make them rich.

As far as putting a dollar amount out there...I make $0.....just look at the bottom-line of my 1040.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Much has changed as computer and net technology has exploded and now plays a very intimate part in out lives. But I was using message boards when they were single caller dial up bbs's. The difference between city-data and even a small bbs with no fido or relaynet ties is that its bigger. That's all. When things started, most people on a local board were still local but mostly people didn't meet each other off line.

The idea of a screen name is like a sceen door. It lets in part of what's on the other side, and keeps out part. Even back then there were those who misbehaved, usually blocked by the sysop who was legally responsible for problems due to bad users. Our bbs we had to see a picture of your id and set up your account. They sysop was also responsible for underage users and content not suitable. I remember we had one guy who used Just in time as his screen name. The joke was his *name* was Justin Time. Now its less intrusive but once sitting at the screen it still feels the same.

Inevitably you say things about yourself by your choice of words and tone. And by what you say, and what you imply. In real life the same thing is true, but harder to pull off for most. I think over time posters do reveal a lot even if its not details and others get a sense of who they are. It's not knowing on the level of your best friend. It's more the guy you share lunch with or work with who you get used to, and yet only know one side of their persona.

As for money, I really don't see how most of the posters here suggest they make as much as the OP suggests. Maybe its from not reading widely, but look at discussions of retirement, or saving money, or where people reach out. There are lots of us who don't have a ton of money on this board. But that is the wonderful thing about boards. Today, all you need is a device to connect, and its more the usual today than not, and your in.

My guess is that overall fewer who spend time on boards spend a lot of time tweeting or telling their life story on Facebook, too. Some of us don't do either. But judging from what I see talked about on those, I think we actually say a lot more on a good message board even if we don't reveal all the details.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What’s to say about message boards?

I have found that everyone has a credit score of 800 plus.

It does not matter that I drive the same model car, you’re getting 5 MPG more then it was rated for.

It seems every small block Chevy came from a Corvette and is making 500 HP.

I have also found that everyone maxes out their 401k.

If someone is in a car collision it’s not their fault even if the rear-ended someone going 80 in a school zone at a crosswalk. The same can be said for speeding tickets,

Somehow no one eats at McDonald’s yet the parking lot is filled.

The same can be said for Wal*Mart.

It also seems that everyone is drinking craft beer. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of Budweiser yet they sell tons of it.

It also seems that everyone is dating good-looking people. There may never be a picture of what there significant other looks like, but she or he is certainly not fat.

Everyone has a college degree. They may have taken one class at Seton Hall, but that's a degree.

The list goes on and on.

I can openly admit:

I hit a car and it was my fault.
I’ve gotten two speeding tickets and deserved them.
There were a few years here and there where I did not contribute a dime to retirement.
I shop at Wal*Mart from time to time.
Sometimes I crave salt and will stop into McDonald’s for a quick bite.
I have a thing for slightly plump women.
I had to kind of laugh reading this because, although it's a tad exaggerated, there's a lot of truth in it. I haven't been online as long as some folks have...only since Sept. 1998...but I've seen all you are talking about the whole time I have been online.

I used to wonder if people who had all the positive things going on in their lives were bragging or if they truly wanted to help people by telling them how THEY "did it" and what the 'rewards' are. The ones that get me are the ones who, when someone is having a problem, start 'blaming' the one with the problem FOR the problem. Yeah, it might be true sometimes but there are people on message boards who give no quarter. Those of us who retired with no savings, etc. are "lazy" and probably spent like drunken sailors instead of saving. There's evidently no such thing as being socked with 'bad stuff' and shame on you if you aren't prepared for the 'bad stuff'. Before now I only ever worked at one place that even offered a 401k. I got laid off one month after I'd reached eligibility.

I have no problem being truthful on message boards but I don't unload a lot of personal stuff on them either. Even my co workers don't know much about me, personally, and they've known me a long time. I have put enough out there though that if someone really wanted to find me they'd probably not have a problem doing it.

I don't eat at McDonald's but I don't eat at any fast food joints. I do shop at Walmart, by default...I work there so it's convenient, cheap and I get a nice discount.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
I find the Message Boards to be very educational. I have learned a lot in the last 10 years - I'd say almost like getting a college degree. There are a lot of highly interesting intelligent people posting on the boards covering many subjects.
Debates can enhance your learning as you search for evidence to support your views. Considering the other person's view gives you a well rounded perspective in many areas.

The boards are also a great medium to learn to effectively communicate. You can hone your spelling and grammar. You can learn self control and to not get all steamed when someone is crass enough to be outright insulting, and to be cool in your reply.

As for lies and exaggeration....well, they are pointless since most lies etc are made to boost one's ego and here no one knows who you are anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates