Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I have a friend, she has Bipolar, and I have taken her to the hospital, and even gone to DBSA/NAMI meetings some time.

Until you have walked, or walked along side, someone's shoes you really can't imagine. I support her is she decides to end it. After 15 meds, 3 therapists, 2 psychs, and almost no progress......I get it.

Then you look at quality of life issues. When you are mentally ill, have little to no support, and live on SSDI, section 8, etc, what do you really have to look forward to...........and don't give me sunshine, because when you are in her condition sunshine don't mean squat.
Yes, that's been my experience. You're a good friend, very few people in the world would have stayed with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
When you have no hope in life, you're dead anyway. Why not let people go who want to go, painlessly and effectively? We do the same for animals. Just because you love life and think any problem can be fixed doesn't mean it's necessarily so.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's amazing because depression was a rarity before big cities were created. I read a study once documenting people that moved from the country to the city that reported unusually high rates of depression once living there. So I personally believe big cities have alot to do with the high rates. I mean think about it. Tall man-made creations blocking the view of the natural landscape, close cramped quarters of people and building, cars everywhere, pollution, cold and uninviting social atmosphere, etc. It's really no surprise that there are so many cases of it happening mostly there. People need to be in touch with the beauty and wonder of the natural Earth. It is freeing to the soul. It's hard to do that living and working in a shoe box in the sky.
This. I live in a City close to many parks and rural small towns. I also grew up in one of said rural towns. I never knew anyone that had depression growing up. Now in the big City I work with people who live in cramped apartments and they are the most miserable people I know. I tell them go buy a house with some land and they complain about upkeep costs. Im like...dude....it feels 100% better to relax in your back yard with a cold one than sitting on a couch watching reruns.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Well, I think euthanasia is supposed to be less tragic and less violent than regular suicide. For example, if a person wants to die, getting a lethal injection is a real peaceful way to go. It's much less traumatizing than walking in on a loved on who shot or hung himself.
No matter how you think it...it's still murder, and should never be made legal.
Why do you think it's "less tragic" if a physically healthy young person is given a "lethal injection" and dies that way, rather than taking an over dose of sleeping pills or whatever.?
I would think that just as tragic...maybe more so... considering that with some help and counseling their life could have been turned around.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why do you think it's "less tragic" if a physically healthy young person is given a "lethal injection" and dies that way, rather than taking an over dose of sleeping pills or whatever.?
I would think that just as tragic...maybe more so... considering that with some help and counseling their life could have been turned around.
Don't be ignorant. Therapy and pills can't help everyone. There are some people who simply want to be gone, but are too afraid to pull the trigger for fear of pain or failure.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I think it's disgusting that in this country we have MORE compassion for an animal than our fellow man. I mean if an animal is in pain and suffering from illness/disease/injury; we have the option to peacefully and calmly put then to sleep to ease their suffering and to stop the pain, and it's perfectly LEGAL to do so. But G-d forbid we show that same compassion to a stage 4 cancer patient who just wants the pain to end.

Absolutely disgusting!:mad :
Not everyone who has a loved pet in pain takes them to the vet for that fatal shot...ALOT of people (believe it or not) actually take care of it themselves...there are numerous painless ways to put them out of their misery.
Call it what you want...for those who want that end, there are ways...Doctors must NOT be givin a license to kill...If that happens there will also be others who WANTED TO LIVE who will die.
Being angry doesn't change that.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Don't be ignorant. Therapy and pills can't help everyone. There are some people who simply want to be gone, but are too afraid to pull the trigger for fear of pain or failure.
Call me what you want...I'm used to that from people who can't/aren't willing to listen to another opinion.
Believe me, people who REALLY "want to be gone" WILL take care of it themselves.
Do you think it's a good thing to cater to a person with mental problems fears of pain and failure?
Why not cater instead to the possibility that they can be helped?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
There is hope. Someone gets it
So get this.....Fearful elderly people carry 'anti-euthanasia cards' - Telegraph
If euthanasia is made legal it's not just the mentally ill who want it that will die....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...worthless.html

Last edited by purehuman; 02-13-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
This. I live in a City close to many parks and rural small towns. I also grew up in one of said rural towns. I never knew anyone that had depression growing up. Now in the big City I work with people who live in cramped apartments and they are the most miserable people I know. I tell them go buy a house with some land and they complain about upkeep costs. Im like...dude....it feels 100% better to relax in your back yard with a cold one than sitting on a couch watching reruns.
I actually disagree.. I live in a small apartment in Chicago and I'm much happier than I was in the suburbs. The suburbs in America are one of the most miserable places to me because everything is the same and the people are fake. There is so much more culture and opportunities in big cities.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't believe in euthanasia if a person is just depressed. I believe that counseling and help can help almost anyone. I was just saying that a lethal injection will let the person go more peacefully than if the person shot himself and there was blood everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates