Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
What upsets me most is the "selfish" argument. To those of you who condemn people who attempt or commit suicide, shame on you. It's selfish of society in general and even of friends or relatives of that individual to expect them to continue existing, when there is clearly no hope. And it makes me wonder in many shicide cases, how many were abandoned by family, friends, society in general or the system.

You might want to rethink the selfishness nonsense.
If a parent has very young children, I think the least they could do is wait for their children to finish high school before they commit suicide. It's selfish to leave your dependent to fend for themselves or leave them wondering why their parent would commit suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
What upsets me most is the "selfish" argument. To those of you who condemn people who attempt or commit suicide, shame on you. It's selfish of society in general and even of friends or relatives of that individual to expect them to continue existing, when there is clearly no hope. And it makes me wonder in many shicide cases, how many were abandoned by family, friends, society in general or the system.

You might want to rethink the selfishness nonsense.
It is definitely selfish when you have young children. A person is truly selfish if they kill themselves and leave their children behind. These children will forever be traumatized and damaged.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Yes, I should have the right to have a doctor assist my suicide for any medical reason that I feel is not going to allow me to live the life I want. Be this depression or cancer, it should be my choice.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I do think it's "selfish" (for lack of better word), but I guess for me, when my mother was very young, both her parents died. It was just her and her older sister (6 years older). They were adopted by a family who were mean to them, but at least they had each other. Finally one day when my mom was 10 and her sister 16, her sister committed suicide. My mom said it was partly because she was unhappy at the family who adopted them, and unhappy because she loved some man but the family wouldn't let her get married because they said she was too young.

So basically she left my mom alone to fend for herself against this family until my mom married and moved out at 20.

My mom is almost 60 now and still cries about her sister. Breaks my heart. Also makes me sad that my aunt felt she had to go that route. I'm not angry with her, but am sad that I'll never get to meet her. My mom has ONE picture of her, and she was very beautiful. I'm sure she suffered and felt she had no other choice, and at that time (almost 50 years ago) I'm sure people in her situation didn't really have another outlet to get help through. Specially in a middle eastern country.

I guess if someone wants to die, they should put their affairs in order and speak to their family for guidance before doing something this drastic, I feel many people can be helped.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Which decade did depression become common, or which decade did it become common to talk about it?

West Coast natural areas in cities: San Diego late 1800s Balboa Park, next to downtown; Los Angeles, the huge late 1800s Griffith Park; San Francisco I think Golden Gate City Park dates back to something like 1868 & is 3 miles long. So open grassy areas where people could walk & enjoy various recreations have been with us for a long time. I could understand having no public areas as being stressful.

I must admit when I read obits of oldest people, almost always they lived part of life in small town or on a farm. Not sure if cause is low pollution, hard work, better diet, less dense population???

Of course big Pharma got so many on its poison pills in 50s. 60s, & 70s. Police became terrorists with the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 with 20 years in prison for harmless "marijuana" smokers. In 1984 came civil asset forfeiture, allowing police to take cars & cash if not houses, from alleged drug dealers, no proof required! Sometimes police would steal, but never charge anyone with anything.

Some think the 85,000 toxins approved for our air, soil, food & water are affecting behavior. Some think climate change is affecting behavior. Many theories, proof difficult, but I keep an open mind.

I suppose the bigger the city one is in without having real friends, the more depressed one might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's amazing because depression was a rarity before big cities were created. I read a study once documenting people that moved from the country to the city that reported unusually high rates of depression once living there. So I personally believe big cities have alot to do with the high rates. I mean think about it. Tall man-made creations blocking the view of the natural landscape, close cramped quarters of people and building, cars everywhere, pollution, cold and uninviting social atmosphere, etc. It's really no surprise that there are so many cases of it happening mostly there. People need to be in touch with the beauty and wonder of the natural Earth.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
It is definitely selfish when you have young children. A person is truly selfish if they kill themselves and leave their children behind. These children will forever be traumatized and damaged.
You do realize that a human being who is contemplating on taking their own "life" is no longer a "stable or "rationale" human being.
Their "logic" has failed them and there is no recourse. We are talking about people who need serious Mental help.
Yes depression is "curable".

Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
Individuals are not at liberty to commit suicide, with governments clamping down on available methods (eg erecting suicide barriers on high bridges). Many still argue for the criminilisation of suicide (it still is illegal where I live) and even where suicide is technically legal, anyone caught on the verge of attempting it will be detained against their will in a psychiatric facility.

Quite simply, it's yet another case in which the religious right wing are forcing others to conform to their religion and taking ownership of other people's lives. If one is not free to choose between life and death, then one does not own one's life. Separation between church and state is a lie.
Individuals certainly ARE at liberty to commit suicide...who's gonna stop them when they're dead?
No legalities ,or barriers on bridges ,will EVER change that...
You CAN choose death...because you do own your own life....except maybe in a prison where you're monitored
People commit suicide all the time...do you think they even consider the legalities, or if they "own" their own bodies?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yes, I should have the right to have a doctor assist my suicide for any medical reason that I feel is not going to allow me to live the life I want. Be this depression or cancer, it should be my choice.
Would you still want that choice (doctor assisted suicide) if you knew that some people who really WANT to live will die because we've given doctors that right?
Not everyone who's "assisted" to die wanted to.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Well to the people left behind it sure seems selfish.
I think people who commit suicide (not euthanasia) aren't really thinking with a clear mind, and can't think past their immediate anguish and depression enough to consider what they're doing to those left behind. For them it's about getting out..relief from their pain...they might even feel everyone else would be better off without them...they might even see it as helping them.
I knew a man who killed himself and left a young wife and two very small children behind. The youngest was only 4 months, so I don't think he was traumatized or damaged...the oldest was 4..and yes he had a hard time of it..but he's older now, and in no way damaged from it.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I do think it's "selfish" (for lack of better word), but I guess for me, when my mother was very young, both her parents died. It was just her and her older sister (6 years older). They were adopted by a family who were mean to them, but at least they had each other. Finally one day when my mom was 10 and her sister 16, her sister committed suicide. My mom said it was partly because she was unhappy at the family who adopted them, and unhappy because she loved some man but the family wouldn't let her get married because they said she was too young.

So basically she left my mom alone to fend for herself against this family until my mom married and moved out at 20.

My mom is almost 60 now and still cries about her sister. Breaks my heart. Also makes me sad that my aunt felt she had to go that route. I'm not angry with her, but am sad that I'll never get to meet her. My mom has ONE picture of her, and she was very beautiful. I'm sure she suffered and felt she had no other choice, and at that time (almost 50 years ago) I'm sure people in her situation didn't really have another outlet to get help through. Specially in a middle eastern country.

I guess if someone wants to die, they should put their affairs in order and speak to their family for guidance before doing something this drastic, I feel many people can be helped.
Sorry to hear about your aunt. That must have been very difficult for your mom.. what Middle Eastern country did they live in ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates