Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
It is definitely selfish when you have young children. A person is truly selfish if they kill themselves and leave their children behind. These children will forever be traumatized and damaged.
Let me ask you this though......what if the depressed person is doing more harm to their child's well-being or even their own mental stability? Is it selfish then?

There are many parents that have mental illnesses who do a MAJOR number on their kids....to the point where the kid is probably better off without that parent in their life. Sorry, but it's not all roses and puppy dogs for all children. There are some children who grow up with very hard lives because their parent is unfit to be a parent. In those cases.....it may not be selfish, but instead, selfless.

At that point, it'd have to be a case-by-case decision to say if it's truly selfish or not. If it is affecting a child's well-being (physically, mentally, or emotionally), maybe suicide would be a bad thing, but maybe walking out of the child's life may be a good thing.

Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You do realize that a human being who is contemplating on taking their own "life" is no longer a "stable or "rationale" human being.
Their "logic" has failed them and there is no recourse. We are talking about people who need serious Mental help.
Yes depression is "curable".
The issue I have with all your quoted words is what is the definition of them and who is setting the standard? I've been told I'm not "rational" because I don't want children. I'm "unstable" because I have a temper. My "logic" is wrong because I don't believe in any religion. My "life" is not my own because it belongs to God.

So if a human wants to take their own life....why are they not stable, rational, logical, etc?
I would think I'm very stable, rational, and logical if I knew I was going to die of cancer in 2 months and decided I would get my affairs in order and take myself out so no one would have to see me die that horrible death. I think it's harder on the person watching, than the person dying.

Everyone has their own defintions of those words. I suppose, because I can see all points of views very easily, I don't think all people who want to die (even those suffering from a mental illness) are unstable, irrational, or illogical.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I do not believe depression is curable. The drugs available on the market are worse than the illness. I do not know about euthanasia. I am usually able to pull out of it for a short while. Unfortunately, they are some who cannot. That's torture.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's not true..not at all. Maybe you're just angry ( furious) and it seems like that...just because you don't believe in euthanasia doesn't (in any way) mean that you don't care or love as much as someone who does..
I don't consider it compassionate nor loving (in any way) to allow someone to die of thirst.
Mother Nature's medicine cabinet is amazing.
HUH? WTF?

Where in my posts would lead you to that conclusion?

I am FOR euthanasia, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
It is definitely selfish when you have young children. A person is truly selfish if they kill themselves and leave their children behind. These children will forever be traumatized and damaged.

While I understand where you are coming from, I know my husband has some "issues" even today from growing up in a home with severely depressed parents and the problems they dumped on their kids, and I see how that affects them.

I can't say one way or another which is more cruel, since his brother is severely messed up due to his childhood, and it might have honestly been better for him to have lost them, then grow up the way he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates