Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

For me, it depends upon the type of "pirating'.

I think going on the interwebs and downloading a movie is the same as going into the store and putting it under your shirt. However, I feel that if you rent a movie from Blockbuster or Netflix and copy it to play later, you aren't stealing it since you paid for the right to view it.

In terms of music, it gets very complicated in my eyes, but I prefer to go to the iTunes store and purchase the songs I like. Back in the day, before you could purchase individual songs, I swapped my fair share of music between friends. I was able to justify it in my head due to the way record companies worked.

My view of video games is they need to be either rented or purchased. Downloading or copying them is, IMHO, just like going into the store and putting them under your shirt.

One thing that irritates the heck out of me and keeps my sympathies with the pirates is the non-stop extensions of copyright that has been purchased by Disney and other corporations from our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
This is a gross oversimplification. The issue at hand is very action-specific and it boils down to one question: to what extent does the piracy/theft inflict economic damages to the producer/publisher?
Now, isnt this gross oversimplification? You are framing the question incorrectly.

Quote:
A -I copy software (music, computer software, or an e-book) I otherwise would have no intention of buying. Or maybe I would borrow the book or CD from a library otherwise. This would also need to have no impact on my future buying habits of other books/music/software, ie, it's not a substitute. There is zero economic loss to the producer.
Since you have already conceded that points B, C and D equals theft, you have made my task a lot easier. Let's deal with point A.

Firstly, why would anyone copy software or music that they had no intention of buying? Allow me to challenge this false presumption that you have based your entire argument on ...

I would only purchase something that I intend to use. And I download something from the internet only if I intend to use it. Therefore, I would only download something from the internet that I (indirectly) would have wanted to purchase (and use).

Let me clear this up with an example.
I walk into a store and see an expensive shirt. Now, because it is so expensive, I have no intention of buying it. However, if the shirt were available at a huge discount (>75%), I might purchase it. If the shirt were available for free, I would most definitely get it. Free in this case is equivalent to illegally downloading software or music from the internet (i.e. pirating). So, your inability to buy the product, does not justify illegal downloading and does not automatically imply that "you never had the intention of buying it".

The only instance where I could imagine someone downloading music or software that they would never use or buy - would be if they click on some link accidentally or are misled into downloading pirated material.

Secondly, there is always some economic or other forms of loss to the producer. You downloading a pirated version of Photoshop (while saying: Oh, I would have never bought it ...) and then using it for all your vacation photos for years and years, is a direct financial hit to the company Adobe.

Quote:
B-I do the same as above, but instead I would otherwise intend to buy the good or a similar good from the producer. This is a loss of a sale.

C-I shoplift a physical good. The physical good also can not be replaced at basically zero cost by the producer. This is the loss of a sale + the cost of good replacement.

D-I make available software to be copied at will be many (maybe even thousands) of people. This is the loss of many, many sales to the producer.

On an economic basis, A is not theft and B, C, and D are. Only D is as or more damaging than shoplifting.

Then there is another alternative we'll call A1: copying the software with no intention of buying or substituting, then liking it and buying a legit copy. Piracy in this case is actually a net benefit to the producer.
Quote:
In many cases piracy = theft, but not in all cases. Additionally, all thefts aren't equal. It depends upon the economic loss incurred by the seller/producer. Shoplifting a tube of toothpaste is not equal to stealing a Rolls Royce off a car lot for example.
I never said that stealing toothpaste = stealing Rolls Royce.
I am just saying that pirating anything is stealing.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Now, isnt this gross oversimplification? You are framing the question incorrectly.

Since you have already conceded that points B, C and D equals theft, you have made my task a lot easier. Let's deal with point A.

Firstly, why would anyone copy software or music that they had no intention of buying? Allow me to challenge this false presumption that you have based your entire argument on ...

I would only purchase something that I intend to use. And I download something from the internet only if I intend to use it. Therefore, I would only download something from the internet that I (indirectly) would have wanted to purchase (and use).
Many people don't own physical CDs anymore except if you are my parents' age and they really don't use MP3 players. I do use MP3 players and I rarely buy albums because for the most part there are one or two good tracks and I can hear them on iheartradio or watch them on YouTube until I am done or if I want buy the tracks on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, ect. I do rent from the library on bands that I somewhat like and would like to know if I like them more through listening to them or to try new artists out.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM

84 posts, read 136,504 times
No wonder why programmers are losing money...

Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
I would say no, it's not the same. The rules of the game have changed. You're not actually taking anything away from the content producers. Yes, it's unfortunate for artists that it's more difficult to sell your music/movies now, but the only way to make it how it was would basically be to shut down the Internet.

I also think piracy has some value as advertisement and many people wouldn't buy the item in the first place, either because they couldn't afford it or simply because they don't find it worth paying $14 in 1990 money to be able to listen to 3 or 4 good songs like back in the old days.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
Another thing how is it any different from buying used music? I may be mistaken, but I don't think Simon Le Bon is getting a cut of anything when I buy a used Duran Duran tape from Goodwill.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Another thing how is it any different from buying used music? I may be mistaken, but I don't think Simon Le Bon is getting a cut of anything when I buy a used Duran Duran tape from Goodwill.
Or when you sell the game back to say Hastings or other resale retailers.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
no shoplifters should be arrested. pirates should be shot on sight.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
If the creators cared, in the case of gaming, they would do something about it. Like when Nintendo stopped pirates from creating a 3ds emulator. But they aren't going after Ds or gameboy emulators. I actually heard that they make money from emulators, but I'm not sure how. Is it illegal? Yes. Is it wrong? Depends. Should people be thrown in jail. Depends on the situation.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 AM

265 posts, read 409,602 times
what abut when someone streams content on some website? is the person who is streaming it breaking the law? are they a thief if they a) owned what they streamed or b) purchased the cable channel that shows the content, record it with tivo or wtv, and then just stream it.

are the people who watch or listen to the streamed content, without ever having to download it, breaking the law.
i mean, downloaing is a pretty big markey, but for tv shows and stuff streaming is usually how it goes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates