Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
what abut when someone streams content on some website? is the person who is streaming it breaking the law? are they a thief if they a) owned what they streamed or b) purchased the cable channel that shows the content, record it with tivo or wtv, and then just stream it.

are the people who watch or listen to the streamed content, without ever having to download it, breaking the law.
i mean, downloaing is a pretty big markey, but for tv shows and stuff streaming is usually how it goes down.
Ah so Justin TV and OleOleTV (a sports one) like websites you can find say UFC and WWE pay-per view on. If I remember correctly it is like showing a movie or a football game for profit (though you can easily say it was for food.) It is illegal but harder to prove than most. I honestly don't hear of many people getting busted by the police for downloads as well except for one of my suitemates in college.

In a correction to a previous post. If you own a copy of a CD, DVD, video game, etc. you can copy it without intent to sell (say your car doesn't have an mp3 jack and only a CD player so you make a copy for the car) and sell the original (but not a copy) on eBay, Amazon or other resellers (such as Hastings, Game Stop, Best Buy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I think the reason pirating exists is because companies are trying to charge us so much for something that has such low perceived value. I mean lets be realistic, is a move really worth $20-30 to you? Is a CD really worth 15 bucks to you? No. A movie really is worth about a buck to people, thats why redbox is so awesome. A song is worth 50 cents. But hollywood is trying to pimp the hell out of the market and people have had enough. Its like with anything in the marketplace, if you are charging too much, people will find an alternative....

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think the reason pirating exists is because companies are trying to charge us so much for something that has such low perceived value. I mean lets be realistic, is a move really worth $20-30 to you? Is a CD really worth 15 bucks to you? No. A movie really is worth about a buck to people, thats why redbox is so awesome. A song is worth 50 cents. But hollywood is trying to pimp the hell out of the market and people have had enough. Its like with anything in the marketplace, if you are charging too much, people will find an alternative....
It depends on the value proposition. For artists I really enjoy like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Fozzy, Metallica, I'll buy their CDs no matter what. I will buy movies of the movies I enjoy. Why, so I don't have to worry about having them in the Redbox or in the case of Marvel movies before the cinematic movies there were a LOT of director cuts and special editions that would come out through redbox or show up on Netflix.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM

123 posts, read 295,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
The common belief (or excuse) is that piracy is not theft. People argue, that if you steal a bike, the original is lost and it financially damages the owner. If you copy a game or software, there are simply more of them in the world, and the original is not lost.

But this kind of logic only has limited appeal.

This same sort of reasoning could very easily apply to copying books, medication, theories, designs, intellectual property and so on.

No matter what someone tells you, piracy equals theft. It is just so prevalent because pirating software and music is very easy. And enforcing laws to punish this kind of theft is extremely difficult.
If I borrow a book from the library, copy it, and return it, I'm stealing? If so, how? What am I taking?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo_choo_train_lol View Post
If I borrow a book from the library, copy it, and return it, I'm stealing? If so, how? What am I taking?
The library must be stealing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates