Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
So what's the professional manner? I would assume printed, being that so many people under the age of 35 can't read or write in cursive. I don't know about other parts of the country, but I grew up in the PNW and the school I attended went to d'nealian in the mid 80's. I would think that the military wouldn't even allow cursive writing on reports these days, as most of the kids joining the military these days can't interpret it. Add to this the fact that anyone that has learned English as a second language has no idea how to read cursive writing.

Also, I'm a physical therapist, and I can assure you that nothing in the rehab center that I work for is written in cursive outside of a personal note by one of the older secretaries or nurses. Any type of actual document or report is done in print. There is no rule to this that I know of, but all of our employees use print for everything but our signatures.
They don't use cursive in non-English speaking countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Some valid points, but you're wrong about the military/LE. Also- ever get a doctors prescription not in cursive?
Most doctors I personally know are over the age of 40, so I would assume a lot of them write in cursive, but none of the doctors I personally work with write in cursive(that I know of).

As far as the military or LE goes, I wouldn't know; however, it seems odd that they would use cursive for anything considering that most of the people that are now going into the military or LE were never taught cursive writing.

Next time I get a ticket, I'll have to look. LOL

Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
They don't use cursive in non-English speaking countries?
I think some do, but most do not. My best friend is from Japan, and he calls it "that funny writing." To my knowledge they teach print in most non English speaking countries, but I do believe they learn cursive in countries with a former British presence like India or china. I'm sure someone on here can give some better insight on this.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
The person who can write by hand, especially "cursive" and is exposed to another person who values the same and is in a higher position will see that writer in a better light than the one who can barely write their name.

Those who don't see the point in many things often wonder why others do and then complain when those points get points.

Ask anyone who can actually write by hand how many letters or reports they've sent or submitted and then wished they'd never done so. Then ask someone who can barely write their name by hand how many emails or electronic documents they've sent or submitted that they'd pay good money to have back.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The person who can write by hand, especially "cursive" and is exposed to another person who values the same and is in a higher position will see that writer in a better light than the one who can barely write their name.

Those who don't see the point in many things often wonder why others do and then complain when those points get points.

Ask anyone who can actually write by hand how many letters or reports they've sent or submitted and then wished they'd never done so. Then ask someone who can barely write their name by hand how many emails or electronic documents they've sent or submitted that they'd pay good money to have back.

I think you're confusing people that didn't learn cursive with people that are illiterate. I can write in cursive or print. I choose to write in print because it's more legible, and it seems more professional to me. I've always felt that cursive is more personal. If I were going to write a love letter or a suicide note, then I agree that cursive seem more classy, but if I'm filing an incident report or filling out a patients progress report at work, I couldn't imagine doing it in cursive.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
What Learning Cursive Does for Your Brain

Old 03-27-2014, 06:12 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

THIS^^^ Hits most every point. Another would be for graphologists (handwriting analysis) at the FBI. The variation of ones cursive writing enables better nuanced interpretation. Ever notice yourself how your signature can change subtly based on your mood or feelings?

Also, cursive is faster and while this may be a stretch (it builds off of the points made in the article) I tend to believe the refinement of motor dexterity is helpful across the board in other physical activities that require manual dexterity (especially those requiring finesse and deftness).

I'll try to illustrate with an example many may be able to relate. Ever see an attractive member of the opposite sex but yet when you dined with them they hold their food utensils like an oaf? It doesn't reflect well, and most often to those noticing, they will be perceived as low class and having lack of refinement.

Not that I would necessarily pre-judge someone by observance, but it also can be a turnoff, or convey, say, lower intelligence, or perhaps a childhood injury that renders someone from being fluid and adept and deft in handling tools or anything fragile.

Perhaps we all can recall someone whom we knew who just seemed cloddish and oafish and broke things easily, damaged items easily due to poor motor skills; who when holding a dangerous utensil like a knife causes you to wince as if they will cut themselves or something at any moment due to their seemingly unknowing, un trainable motor skills.

Another concept you may want to look into is proprioception: the ability of a person to sense the spatial and relatedness of their being - it's a quality most athlete's possess and excel at. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between specific types of athletic activity and cursive writing clarity and refinement. Hey, maybe I can get a grant to do a study!

My point is - as the article mentions - it is important in assisting cognitive development and that this crosses into many realms of fine motor physical activity. Eating, Cooking, Working in certain skilled trades. It also is indicative of the whole lost arena of social graces in much of modern society (not that I'm any strict adherent). It makes me recall my parents era of having 'penmanship' and the pride that one conveyed through expressing oneself well in written form as well as spoken and physical presence.

Now on the other hand, in ancient Roman times cursive didn't exist, and everything was written in 'CAPITAL' letters. In some ways that would be more universally easier to comprehend across people using any language or form of written communication.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Creating your unique signature and handwriting analysis. Cursive is a good tool. People's print can look similar but cursive rarely does.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
THIS^^^ Hits most every point. Another would be for graphologists (handwriting analysis) at the FBI. The variation of ones cursive writing enables better nuanced interpretation. Ever notice yourself how your signature can change subtly based on your mood or feelings?

Also, cursive is faster and while this may be a stretch (it builds off of the points made in the article) I tend to believe the refinement of motor dexterity is helpful across the board in other physical activities that require manual dexterity (especially those requiring finesse and deftness).

I'll try to illustrate with an example many may be able to relate. Ever see an attractive member of the opposite sex but yet when you dined with them they hold their food utensils like an oaf? It doesn't reflect well, and most often to those noticing, they will be perceived as low class and having lack of refinement.

Not that I would necessarily pre-judge someone by observance, but it also can be a turnoff, or convey, say, lower intelligence, or perhaps a childhood injury that renders someone from being fluid and adept and deft in handling tools or anything fragile.

Perhaps we all can recall someone whom we knew who just seemed cloddish and oafish and broke things easily, damaged items easily due to poor motor skills; who when holding a dangerous utensil like a knife causes you to wince as if they will cut themselves or something at any moment due to their seemingly unknowing, un trainable motor skills.

Another concept you may want to look into is proprioception: the ability of a person to sense the spatial and relatedness of their being - it's a quality most athlete's possess and excel at. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between specific types of athletic activity and cursive writing clarity and refinement. Hey, maybe I can get a grant to do a study!

My point is - as the article mentions - it is important in assisting cognitive development and that this crosses into many realms of fine motor physical activity. Eating, Cooking, Working in certain skilled trades. It also is indicative of the whole lost arena of social graces in much of modern society (not that I'm any strict adherent). It makes me recall my parents era of having 'penmanship' and the pride that one conveyed through expressing oneself well in written form as well as spoken and physical presence.

Now on the other hand, in ancient Roman times cursive didn't exist, and everything was written in 'CAPITAL' letters. In some ways that would be more universally easier to comprehend across people using any language or form of written communication.
This post is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels, but if you want to go that rout

Printing requires more coordination than cursive. LOL

You want to see if there is a correlation between athletic activities and penmanship????

I think we all can agree that women typically have better penmanship than men, yet men as a collective whole are far more coordinated than women.

You're welcome

Penmanship is more a product of effort than ability. I agree that someone with poor handwriting is more likely to have poor table manners than someone with good handwriting, but it's for the same reason someone with poor handwriting is probably more likely to have a dirty house. It's because they don't care.

Last edited by lucky4life; 03-27-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 PM

400 posts, read 575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Give me an actual legit reason for teaching cursive writing to all students. To me it's seems like teaching old English. It obviously would be important for a historian or something of that nature, but it has no place in modern society IMO.
My birth Father was like super strict about his children knowing how to write and read in cursive. He attended a boarding school in Germany and all assignments for classes were to be in neat handwriting as he called it. They were told it was a sign of class and social standing, block lettering was for the "simple minded lower class." My Mom used handwriting of sentences as punishment also.

I guess American schools which were based on European culture also probably felt the same in the beginning. They were giving children "cultural" activities like learning cursive, music, art, second language which was reserved for the wealthy of previous generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates